LegacyGT.com

Oil changes in the cold - 27 degrees and still fun

Hey all,

Just changed my oil this morning. 27 degrees out according to the LGT dash (the car hadn't been started yet).

I still have to complement the LGT on it's ease of oil changes. I jack up on the huge bolt behind the pass. side wheel, throw a jack stand under the frame rails for good measure, pop off the oil bolt, put a big plastic cup on the oil filter and remove it (that was a great tip)...

Fill the sump with 4.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum. Take off the engine cover now that I notice 2 of it's set-screws are missing. Clean up.

30 minutes from going outside to coming back inside, including 2 minutes of driving around to mix the oil.

I actually didn't even mind that it was 27 degrees out. It just felt brisk.

Then I showered, and I noticed that after 10 minutes in very hot water my hamstrings still felt like chunks of meat taken out of a freezer.

:)

What's your coldest exterior oil change?

Joe

P.s. I'm taking a trip to New Hampshire this week, 1200 miles round trip, and decided I NEEDED to change the oil to fit in with Subaru's 3750 mile oil change requirement. I've realized that I have no way to prove I'm doing this, so I started writing the change date/mileage on the oil filter with a sharpie.

You should change oil when the engine is hot. Changing cold oil means all the crap sticks to surfaces.

When you leave the car to cool down, most of the oil would have drained down to the oil pan anyways so it shouldn't make a difference at all.

There are particles that get suspended in hot oil, but settle down on the bottom of the pan in the cold oil.

It's probably not a huge deal if oil is changed cold, but I think it's not a good practice.

When you start engine after oil change there is a delay before pressure is built, even if you prefill the filter (which I do, btw). If the engine was hot, there will be still plenty of old oil on the internal parts to protect them during the startup. After a cold change there won't be much.

i think 33F was the coldest ive done... but it's really not that cold

because im wearing winter work gear and gloves, under a hot engine

so it's plenty warm.

the only thing that really sucked was snow getting caught behind

my neck when i was scooching myself under the car.

waaaaaa~ bonk! kenchan hits head under car. ;) jk

it was actually kinda nice doing the work in the cold.

Whenever I change with cold oil after sitting overnight I get more oil out than if I warmed it up and let it sit half an hour or so. Synthetic 5W-30 flows pretty well cold. I'm not sure I've tried this cold drain <30F thought.

You should alway's change it when it's hot! Might as well not change it at all if the oil is cold.

Thats such a crummy way of thinking. I agree its best to change the oil with the vehicle at operating temperature, but theres nothing wrong with changing the oil when the car is cold. Even if there are impurities which settle at the bottom of the oil pan, when you drain the oil, i think its safe to assume that the force of the oil draining out will carry out a fair amount of it. Its not like you get out 100% of the old oil when you change your oil anyways.

Ill find out soon, im due for a oil change on my 08' but Imma hold of for a bit since its going to be snowing and i dont wanna lie under a dripping car. And I do my oil changes HOT. (I have a fumoto quick drain valve, so i dont get burned :) )

The most important thing is to "stir" the oil through some modest driving, to help homogenize and suspend the particles in it. Synthetic 5w30 flows just fine when cool, for the purposes of an oil change. Now if we were talking about 75w140 gear oil...

Joe

Thats such a crummy way of thinking. I agree its best to change the oil with the vehicle at operating temperature, but theres nothing wrong with changing the oil when the car is cold. Even if there are impurities which settle at the bottom of the oil pan, when you drain the oil, i think its safe to assume that the force of the oil draining out will carry out a fair amount of it. Its not like you get out 100% of the old oil when you change your oil anyways.

"Crummy way of thinking" ? That's pretty harsh. I think not doing

most anything, certainly vehicle maintenance, in the best fashion you

can, is crummy - period.

whoa man, I draw the line with dripping slush. Are we talking a few drips, or significant wetness?

Our bodies can withstand 20 degrees, but the moisture will transfer the cold instantly. You'll actually risk hypothermia, among other things.

You better be wearing a wet suit if we're talking puddles here.

Joe

it was puddles, since i went out to buy oil while it was snowing. but because of the car was on ramps it dripped away from me. and I layed some cardboard on the ground and did in in ~30 min since i had fumoto valve. I think it was 24* on the dash when I did it.

Also went from Mobil 1 to Penzoil Platinum. and the car idles so much smoother.

I changed my oil this weekend also....22 degrees. I'm in an unheated garage and I wear a thermal quilt-lined jumpsuit. After warming the care, I place my heavy rubber gloves on top of the radiator. By the time I get the drop cloth and drip pan under the car my gloves are toastie warm. The jumpsuit is great for working on the car in cold weather. Heck, I even washed in 32 degrees and I was sweating.

hmm.. should I change my oil at 1500? I bought the car last month 08 LGT with 160 miles on it. It might have been sitting in the dealer lot for 365+ days.

If i should, can I go with synthetic right away? I was reading the other thread about synthetic oil and dino oils. I just want to ask. LOL! I cant resist it.

The most important thing is to "stir" the oil through some modest driving, to help homogenize and suspend the particles in it. Synthetic 5w30 flows just fine when cool, for the purposes of an oil change. Now if we were talking about 75w140 gear oil...

Joe

Oh my goodness, why do some people overthink simple things so much :lol:

Starting the car for a little while is fine, the oil is being sucked up, dumped and swirled. How does driving it around help more, is your car being put into a blender? Homogenize, I mean come on...are we making milk or something?

Changed the oil in the LGT and OB this morning in 26F in my driveway. (No garage on our 1844 house: the automobile hadn't been invented yet, nor lightbulb, telephone, Civil War, etc... :)) Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with Tokyo Roki filters on both. I bought a dozen of the filters online from subaruparts.com when news of the SOA switch to inferior filters became known a month or so ago.

Can I just say what a pain the butt it is to get to the oil filter in our 08 OB 2.5i with ULEV? There is far more exhaust piping in the oil filter area, and it stays hot quite a while. Ouch. The LGT is wide open by comparison.

I also rotated the OB tires. The LGT has had Nokian RSi on for almost a month.

--Lee

Archived