LegacyGT.com

Water on the strut tower?

So after rain (washing the car) I get water settling on the drivers side strut tower (mainly that side because of the way the car sits in my drive way). Is this normal? I had the windshield replaced in the early fall of 2016 but recall it doing it before that.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2010 Legacy Ltd with just over 100K km's (60,000 miles) with the same issue on the passenger side. I've also developed a rust ring. Recently replaced the noisy strut on that side also.

Contacted Subaru of Mississauga and spoke to the service manager who stated that they are not aware of any issue. He (Robert) suggested at looking at the cowling seal and the wheel well liner to make sure it's not open allowing water to be splashed up.

F.Y.I. my vehicle has not been in an accident prior. I can't see how a cowling seal would wear or how a wheel well liner would be misaligned but will check for gaps.

Strut.thumb.jpg.4f2539454df8095c97afb14ff36cabd3.jpg

I have 2010 Legacy Ltd with just over 100K km's (60,000 miles) with the same issue on the passenger side. I've also developed a rust ring. Recently replaced the noisy strut on that side also.

Contacted Subaru of Mississauga and spoke to the service manager who stated that they are not aware of any issue. He (Robert) suggested at looking at the cowling seal and the wheel well liner to make sure it's not open allowing water to be splashed up.

F.Y.I. my vehicle has not been in an accident prior. I can't see how a cowling seal would wear or how a wheel well liner would be misaligned but will check for gaps.

Have you had your windshield replaced? I did late last summer and I think the ends seals cause the leak. Like they weren't installed correctly or your supposed to use a sealant.

Have you had your windshield replaced? I did late last summer and I think the ends seals cause the leak. Like they weren't installed correctly or your supposed to use a sealant.

No, the windshield is original. Good thinking though.

Well it wasn't pouring out side so I got some time to look at what could cause this. The two end seals (passenger and driver side) are not sealing against the glass and were deformed. I can see a direct path from them to the strut tower. They locate by two pins on the center cowl cover and wedge against the fender and glass in the corners. I ordered two new ones. Will up date when I install them

Well it wasn't pouring out side so I got some time to look at what could cause this. The two end seals (passenger and driver side) are not sealing against the glass and were deformed. I can see a direct path from them to the strut tower. They locate by two pins on the center cowl cover and wedge against the fender and glass in the corners. I ordered two new ones. Will up date when I install them

Archived