LegacyGT.com

Engine cover removal - smart/stupid?

For some reason, my engine cover doesn't seem to line up exactly with one of the four holes where the four plastic "rivets" keep the cover on. After replacing the rivet a few times (and it going bye-bye at some point afterwards), I'm considering simply removing my engine cover and setting it aside. Are there any downsides to this? Is the cover functional in some way?

You're not alone. There is some jockeying to get the cover just right. I found that using aftermarket pop rivets made things a little easier. As far as being functional, the cover ensues that air drawn into the intercooler is coming from the scoop and not from the engine bay.

I widened the holes in the engine cover after installing my AVO TMIC because everything was just a bit off, so that's another option for you.

I would keep the cover though - helps keep a better seal between the scoop and intercooler...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would keep the cover though - helps keep a better seal between the scoop and intercooler...

the cover ensues that air drawn into the intercooler is coming from the scoop and not from the engine bay.

Ah, good point. Thanks for the input!

This has been debated a lot on this site...for the most part, you will be fine. A lot of people who have Perrin TMICs leave them off. I have half of mine on (the front half covering the alternator) there is no difference...
Rehab is for quitters.

As stated above and there are some threads about it, its to create a better seal for air to flow through the IC. Part of the udertray fucntion as well is to help with this. Less pressure underneath the intercooler so on top you have a positive pressure and less pressure underneath so air flows through the IC.

I have a Perrin TMIC with no engine cover and no undertray. After reading Jeffs thread on sealing the TMIC to hood scoop i starting checking my IC after i parked my car and its always real cold( its cold here though). So go with that.... Im sure its helps but how much???

Mine is off right now just because i broke all the rivets and never got around to picking up some new ones :-p

but in all seriousness, I should put it back on, there's a grater chance of me getting soap on the weak sidewelds of my intercooler with it off..

Archived