LegacyGT.com

Turbo Advice Needed

I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT with 105k miles. Receantly the seal in the turbo blew and Subaru states that the entire unit needs to be replaced costing anywhere from $1900-2300. However I have found a Tomioka Racing TD05-18G Turbo brand new off of subimods for $900. Can anyone offer some advice here? Yes I'm a noob to Subaru and the forum as well.

...i.e. Never upgraded ECU Management of any sort - Cobb AP, open source, ect.!!! Then find a used VF40 (stock turbo) new or used...check forum members...there are a lot out their that upgraded their turbos and still have their VF40...buy new - it's well under $1000 ...or buy used in poor condition and have it rebuilt to factory specs. Do not go bigger...if you do not have means of tuning it or wanting to upgrading other supporting mods.

CRAZY KEN

I had a 2005 LGT - gone through 4 turbos (vf40, 18g, 20g, GT3076R) and two motors (stock and built motor 412whp)...the tranny is the same except for clutch and flywheel!

I bolted up a TD05-18G to my 05 LGT and did no other mods (fuel pump, injectors) and haven't had any problems other than an overboost code. And that's only thrown if you get into high boost and can be fixed with a proper tune. Oh but you will (should) need to run an IP&T filtered oil feed line. $170 from www.infamousperformance.net

As far as fitment, I needed to shave off a bit of the turbo heat shield to make room for the insulated oil feed line from Infamous. Other than that it works like a charm. 4k miles later with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

>>>GT3076R with a straight pipe exhaust and 44mm ewg...is hell on wheels!!!

3rd gear leap in front of a lightly modded GT-R

4th gear a stand still

5th gear...bye - bye legacy ... it's the GT-R's time to shine...stock tranny - 5th gear too tall ...definitely needs another gear!!!

The guy rolls down the window and says..."dude your car is fast!" ...and I say, "Dude, I love your car!"

CRAZY KEN

Another good option can be a used vf52 ( turbo from 09+ wrx). They are direct bolt on and won't require any fuel mods. You can still get close to 300hp with it.

If you are going with larger turbo like an 18G you will need to get fuel mods ( injectors and fuel pump) to get any kind of good results. You can run it with stock fuel pump and injectors but will have to detune.

Taras

>>>GT3076R with a straight pipe exhaust and 44mm ewg...is hell on wheels!!!

3rd gear leap in front of a lightly modded GT-R

4th gear a stand still

5th gear...bye - bye legacy ... it's the GT-R's time to shine...stock tranny - 5th gear too tall ...definitely needs another gear!!!

The guy rolls down the window and says..."dude your car is fast!" ...and I say, "Dude, I love your car!"

CRAZY KEN

That's quite an anecdote.

I've heard there's quite an increase in boost threshold going from a 20g to gt30. In your opinion that hit was well worth it?

Archived