LegacyGT.com

replace OEM nav with double DIN unit?

heet

I want to dump the junk OEM nav and install something like the Appradio... I'm not interested in doing the JDM double din install at this time.

Yes, I have used the search but have just read vague things about a "support bar" behind the 4th gen OEM nav. Is this true? Will only a thin screen fit up there or can a double DIN full size unit work?

Anyone do this sort of thing?

To have it done right you might end up spending a few hundred just to have something installed in that location. Unless you do it yourself

At that point in might be worth the extra $150 to get the JDM DD setup.

If you are dead set on putting a unit there then here is a somebody who did it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/info-panel-do-you-actully-use-all-muchi-double-din-84402.html?t=84402

and

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/motorized-lcd-cubby-video-quicktime-33360.html?t=33360

I gave some thought to replacing the nav unit with a nicer lcd touch screen for car pc. I think you're better off replacing the junk oem radio unit with another unit vs the stock nav screen. The stock nav screen has all the feature controls for the car so you don't really want to lose that imo.

As mentioned above, now that there is a viable option to split the climate control from the stereo, I think that is the way to go. Also I think the 2 screens would look sweet.

^Eh. I don't know about that. It might look cool but it would also be totally useless. So would putting a double din unit in the cubby/nav spot. Then you have a useless radio down below. I guess it just wouldn't be my thing personally so if anyone else likes it that is all that matters.

I plan to eventually finish my double din setup and then swap my nav unit for a cubby to run some gauges through.

It looks like that guy used the cubby vent piece... I was thinking of keeping the nav vent piece and covering the button holes. There are threads that mention doing this but I'm not sure a normal size unit like the appradio will fit back there. I've seen lots of pics of thin tvs but no normal size unit in the oem nav bezel.

Archived