LegacyGT.com

will sealant wax protect paint chips?

I have very little yet annoying paint chips..one on the drivers door, one on the roof. Couple little ones on the hood obviously but since hood is aluminum - I don't care, it won't rust. It's not enough to burn cash on professional repair so I was hoping to hear some suggestions on temporary rust protection before winter hits. My first thought was to apply 2 layers of sealant wax to the whole car and maybe 2 extra layers in those affected spots ? Also I just learned about this product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4

Not really. The protection you get from a sealant or a wax is more like a sunscreen to protect against UV damage for the most part. You are better off fixing the chips than hoping that filling them with wax will stop them from getting larger. For one, if the chip is prone to getting larger, then it will regardless of what you use on the paint to make it shiny. Professional repair is the best solution, but something like Dr. Colorchip is a very good alternative which makes a huge difference in the appearance of your vehicle.

The bottom line is that if you are missing paint then you need to paint it again. You are exposing your vehicle to more damage until the problem is solved. Any rust you pick up over one winter is easily repaired in the spring anyway, so as long as repairing things is on the list of things to do when it warms up, then I wouldn't worry too much about it now.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived