LegacyGT.com

Continental ExtremeContact DWS Complete Garbage

LegacyFuture

Just a warning to people about these tires for the Legacy GT are complete POS.

Compared to stock, they are like marshmallows.

Here is the basic problem with them.

- When going over rought road, your car starts to bounce up and down, left and right, you lose control and don't feel safe anymore.

- Going on a parkways with large curves, feels unsafe, you get the traction but the car bounces left and right too much, causing the car go all over the place.

I did get a wheel alignment and feels slightly better, but that doesn't solve the problem me driving on marshmallows. I also increased the tire PSI level +3, might have helped but I am reading from other sources they need to go 47psi to feel the difference which I am not going to do.

Thought I noticed its easy to drift in them (in a big open place of course)

Conclusion: I seen corollas, camry outpace me on parkways...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a warning to people about these tires for the Legacy GT are complete POS.

Compared to stock, they are like marshmallows.

Here is the basic problem with them.

- When going over rought road, your car starts to bounce up and down, left and right, you lose control and don't feel safe anymore.

- Going on a parkways with large curves, feels unsafe, you get the traction but the car bounces left and right too much, causing the car go all over the place.

I did get a wheel alignment and feels slightly better, but that doesn't solve the problem me driving on marshmallows. I also increased the tire PSI level +3, might have helped but I am reading from other sources they need to go 47psi to feel the difference which I am not going to do.

Thought I noticed its easy to drift in them (in a big open place of course)

Conclusion: I seen corollas, camry outpace me on parkways...

Sounds to me as if your dampers are shot. How many miles do you have on the car?

The Conti ExtremeContact DWS may not be the BEST UHPAS out there (although it was rated really well), it should still outperform the stock RE92 by a huge margin.

Sounds to me as if your dampers are shot. How many miles do you have on the car?

The Conti ExtremeContact DWS may not be the BEST UHPAS out there (although it was rated really well), it should still outperform the stock RE92 by a huge margin.

23K miles, it was rock hard before

The major complaint other than balancing issues has been the DWS having a very soft sidewall so it may be just the tires. It's reviews like the OP's and others with the same reoccurring balance problems that are steering me away from them.

This happened to me a long time ago when one of my front struts blew out. It was replaced under warranty. It was easy to spot since there was oil all over it. The car felt just like you are describing.

GL

X

---

how do I check?

I checked after the car started handling erratically. I discovered oil on the outside casing of the front left strut.

Maybe take it to the dealership or a reputable shop?

X

---

The major complaint other than balancing issues has been the DWS having a very soft sidewall so it may be just the tires. It's reviews like the OP's and others with the same reoccurring balance problems that are steering me away from them.

It has to be the dampers.

Even balancing problems won't give you the feeling he is describing.

erm...

I have these tires after being on toyo proxes 4s for years.

the only problem I've observed is they're not as sticky.. which I would gladly trade to not buy tires every single year.

I did observe something similar recently at highway speeds but my front wheels were sitting like / \ and my rears | \

an alignment has the car driving predictably again.

curse Atlanta's horrible roads.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'm running the same tires without issues. Love them so far.

Exactly. They should be fine.

I mean what are the chances of the OP getting FOUR completely defective tires that would cause him to go all over the highway. If they caused to car to lose that much control, you could probably look at the tires and notice they were ridiculously lopsided just based on eyeballing it.

I'm running the same tires without issues. Love them so far.

+1. Granted I haven't broken 1k miles with them yet, I haven't experienced any of the issues stated. If anything, I feel more confident with these than my stock Yoko Advans (2.5i).

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

I am not saying I am experiencing out of control scenarios, but I am saying is that these tires are soft.

Here is a great way to test. Go on a highway or local, get to about 50-70mph. Now wiggle the steering wheel (left and right) quickly, feel the marshmallow?

Here are some reviews...from tirerack

Initial Review, 500 Miles on Tires

August 14, 2009

Initial report: as an 'Ultra High Performance All-season' tire, I do NOT recommend the ExtremeContact DWS. Primarily because the sidewalls are VERY soft -- the car is especially unsettled by mid-corner bumps (during very hard cornering), has a mushy feel, and a very delayed turn-in. I always purchase high performance all-season tires. In the past I've had Bridgestone RE950, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Bridgestone RE960, and Bridgestone G 009. Price was an issue this time, so I was considering the BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S, but based on Tire Rack's recent Test which included this tire and the Continental, and since I live in an area with plenty of rain and cool temperatures (hence all-seasons vs. summer tires), I bought the ExtremeContact DWS. Unfortunately, I am not happy with my decision. Although they will almost certainly be better than the BFGs in the wet and the snow, the Conti's sidewalls are the softest I can remember of any tire I've had. I even noticed this extreme softness when I picked them up in the installer's office before they were installed on the rims. I haven't had much time with the tires, but good points seem to be their traction in both dry and wet (only on very smooth surfaces), and their hydroplaning resistance. This soft sidewall also does make for a smoother -- though somewhat jiggly at times -- ride. I will write again after I've had more time with the tires.

Initial Review, 1,000 Miles on Tires

November 18, 2009

Although they ride smooth and seem very grippy, I do not believe these are good for at the limit handling on my vehicle. The steering on the car is not as direct as before. It feels like it would roll when making quick lane changes at speed. Hard to go back when the last tires were so precise. I had the old tires(oem)and the DWS side by side and the difference in the softness of the sidewall was pretty obvious. I'm not sure if these tires are the best replacement for an Imprexa WRX. I will update if I end up keeping these, otherwise I'm thinking return and exchange.

Initial Review, 150 Miles on Tires

November 18, 2009

Ok, I searched high and low for reviews on this tire and they're just to new. I wanted a performance all season as I didn't want to spend the cash for a set of winter tires and rims as the winters seem to be fairly mild just south of the Philadelphia area. We get enough snow which is a cause for concern with rear wheel drive. The staggered size's on my bmw 550i sport were hard to come by. I squeezed out 24,000 miles on the stock contisport summer tires, but they got very noisy at the end. Tires are softer, quieter, and smoothed the ride out a bit. Biggest difference comes in the agressive driving aspect. You definately are going to give up performance with these. First tight zip in and out of traffic had me feeling a lot less confident as the car flexed and then snapped back on the new rubber. Used to the flat stable feel of the summer rubber. Wet and dry weather straight line acceleration are good and didn't experience any hydroplanning at highway speeds. Still have to check out the cornering on wet surfaces and see what the up coming snow brings. So far, so good, but will be going back to summer tires in the spring. updates to come.

I was looking at those tires, and they were out of stock so I bought pole positions, anyways, I read someplace to put them about 5-6 psi over what your factory is at. I usually run mine around 36r 38f. haven't had tire wear problems, but just watch for how they wear if you decide to do that.

Guest heightsgtltd
I don't have the these new versions, but i have been running the contiextremecontacts for about 3 years with no issues whatsoever. That being said, I do run the psi higher, 40f38r

I don't have the these new versions, but i have been running the contiextremecontacts for about 3 years with no issues whatsoever. That being said, I do run the psi higher, 40f38r

Love these tires as well for all season grip, though I mostly use them as winters. I also run them somewhat high at 38f36r.

I just purchased a set of the DSWs and I don't have too many miles on them, but I haven't had any problems to speak of. I'd never take these tires on the track, but I do drive like I have a purpose and these tires seem adequate at least. I've never felt unsafe on them.

I agree with LegacyFuture. They are definitely more wobbly than any other tire I've had. The older Contiextreme contacts were not as bad. I've put about 5000 miles on my Sti on the DWS's and they seem to get better as they wear down. One thing's for sure, they're one of the best tires I've ever driven in the rain. Unreal!!! I knew I'd be sacrificing handling so that I could excel in the rain and snow. Definitely better than a snowtire. I think it's got a lot to do with the 540 rating. Once that "S" wears off I bet they'll be much better.

I agree with LegacyFuture. They are definitely more wobbly than any other tire I've had. The older Contiextreme contacts were not as bad. I've put about 5000 miles on my Sti on the DWS's and they seem to get better as they wear down. One thing's for sure, they're one of the best tires I've ever driven in the rain. Unreal!!! I knew I'd be sacrificing handling so that I could excel in the rain and snow. Definitely better than a snowtire. I think it's got a lot to do with the 540 rating. Once that "S" wears off I bet they'll be much better.

Better than a winter tire in what regard?

Sorry to here about the issues you are having with the Conti DWS’s. I’ve had mine on my 2008 Legacy 3.0R now for over 1600 miles and I have not had any of the these symptoms you are experiencing. My tires are 225 45/18’s I have to say that they are the best tires I have ever had. The car feels much more planted then it did with my Toyo TR-1’s and as for vibration there is none. I’ve had the car well past the speed limit and it feels as though it’s on rails. I run 36 lbs. in the front and 34 in the rear. As for the steering response they are much better then the dreaded 92’s and also my Toyo’s. As for wet traction and braking there isn’t anything better. Maybe it’s the Bilstein suspension. I don’t know what to tell you but I feel much more confident and safe for myself and my wife when driving on these tires. Best of luck with trying to correct this issue.

Archived