LegacyGT.com

buying a used LGT

THE RZA

Hey guys,

So after finally paying off my 2009 2.5i(which was purchased brand new), from day 1 I regretted not buying an LGT mostly due to at the time I was in college and wasn't making a whole lot of money. Through the years of financing the car I considered trading in for a used LGT (2008-2009 models) but it just wasn't a good move financially. Now that I have the car paid off and have the title in hand I've humored the idea a few times now about trading it in towards used 2008-2009 LGT or spec b, depending on the condition and mileage. For example, I wouldn't trade my 2.5i for a 2008 LGT with 160,000 miles on it. However I've come across some clean relatively low mileage LGT's and Spec B's in the $15-18,000 range but the thought comes across my mind, is it worth financing or spending another 6-7 grand on a car that is now 7-8 years old? My other thoughts are keep driving the Legacy for another year or so and then buy a brand new WRX or STI next summer, I'm hoping they plan to bring the hatch back in either model. Any suggestions? I'd like to know more about reliability from LGT owners as well to sway my decision. Thanks!

I sold my 2.5i and bought 09 LGT, now im selling the LGT. Not due to the LGT I love that car i wrestle with keeping and modding her on a daily basis :lol: I just got married and I want a house and a newer moutain bike. :redface:

A lot of the problem threads you read are due to poor maintenance or someone buying a grenade so don't let that scare you off :) there are some gems esp in the 08-09 years range out there. If you need help or advice on what to look for let me know as I was once in your shoes I know all the little things to look for when buy a LGT.

As far as the durability of the car body wise no difference than your 2.5i, driveline is the same. The one aspect you have to stay on top of is checking your oil, on my 2.5i i never needed to check the oil but once a month on my LGT i check it every fillup about once every 2.5 weeks. Other than that you know mostly what you are getting, parts wise you have many options and power wise you have much more potential should you choose that route.

Thanks I appreciate the help! I just moved back to NJ after getting off of Active Duty in the Marine Corps and living in North Carolina the past 3 1/2 years. I do also have a 335i as well, which its a great car but RWD where we get so much snow is a no go and I plan on selling that as well. I found a 08 spec B up here going with 33k on the clock going for 24k. That's rare to find one in that great of shape 7 years later. However the question I'm asking myself is a 7 year old car worth that much? By the time I have it paid off i'm looking at a 10-11 year old car. The more I've learned about the 2015 WRX the more that peaks my interest as well. It seems to me like the WRX Limited is the best bang for the buck in that price range. The STI isn't head and shoulders better performance wise over the WRX anymore, if I was looking to take a car to the track every weekend the STI would be the better option. However I'm just looking for a semi-practical car that I can haul ass on the occasional spirited drive when I want to.

I wouldn't pay $24K for ANY Spec.b period for that money you should buy a New WRX or a wholly different car:) They are great cars but realistically that value cant hold up no one wants these cars to the degree that merits such a price as the data trickles in and values decline along with prices paid that number will decrease. Basically that buyer cares less about price and age and just wants the car for they feel it represents. And that person is a fool with their money.

I wouldn't pay $24K for ANY Spec.b period for that money you should buy a New WRX or a wholly different car:) They are great cars but realistically that value cant hold up no one wants these cars to the degree that merits such a price as the data trickles in and values decline along with prices paid that number will decrease. Basically that buyer cares less about price and age and just wants the car for they feel it represents. And that person is a fool with their money.

I agree, though the price isn't set in stone. Perhaps he is taking KBB or Edmunds' pricing TOO much to heart when he listed the car. It is exceptionally clean but subaru's don't hold their value this much.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4559572570.html

1. I Know I wont get a 0% APR used car loan, meanwhile for an extra 3-4k I can finance a brand new WRX and a good shot at getting a 0% APR loan. 2. Its still a 7 year old car, we aren't talking a 2008 M3 or Corvette Z06 in mint condition with a higher than usual price tag for the year of the car. 3. If I were to go the LGT Route I would say 11-12,000 for a 08-09 moderate miles would be a more feasable option.

@Drift Motion, I'm thinking this time next year if I pull the trigger on a WRX, which would likely be a 2016 model. If I go this route I may also keep the Legacy as a DD since I have a 70 mile/day commute for work and there is nothing wrong with the car at all.

I'd wait and get a WRX with a 6mt, much better tranny then a 5mt.

If you plan to MOD the car, keep the 2.5i as the spare car. Cheaper to keep then the 335i.

How is the 335 in winter ?

Sounds like your not happy with the 335 in winter ?

I think your last reply to DriftMotion is the answer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was driving the 335 in North Carolina in the winter where the biggest snowfall in my 3 years there was an inch. RWD was fine there. Now that i'm back in the Northeast where snowfall is much more severe, I can only imagine how much worse it will be. I could keep that as my weekend car but maintenance and parts are too expensive. Its a very nice car but I would much rather be behind a subaru than BMW, if it was a X Drive I would probably keep it but finding a x drive in North Carolina was near impossible, closest one I could find was 4 hours away. Being stationed at Lejeune you always knew who was from up north because when it did snow all the Northerners would be the only ones driving normally with a 1/4" of snow on the ground :lol:

It does make me wonder because I've seen newer and same age 335i's with similar mileage and just as good of shape being listed for less than this guy's spec B is selling for, and this is from dealers. I've never seen a Subaru depreciate slower than a BMW, even if it is the almighty spec b

Potential buyer market. Most folks off the street have no idea about the Legacy they are the ones people look for when selling a grenade. That Spec.B is sweet not going to lie low miles prob the only one in that condition but if your going to spend new car money then well you know...:)

So you are thinking next year time frame to buy the WRX? 2016 model should be good will def allow time to work out all the bugs in the '15 and maybe you will get a hatchback model to choose from. I saw a grey '15 at my local grocery store with these smokey black stock wheels very attractive car I could see myself driving one

yeah I'm thinking this time next year to buy the WRX, I'm hoping if there is any issues they address it mid year, and this time next year I could probably get one for a steal. I really did wish this one came in a Hatchback but it is what it is, hard to believe Subaru saying they couldn't afford it when their sales have never been better after making every other platform the ugliest cars on the road :lol: but I do like the sedan, reminds me a lot of the 05-09 LGT

:lol: I sent this guy an email with an offer for 20 grand and his response was "no thanks its a spec B in mint condition"..My counter offer was my 335i for his spec B + 10 grand cash.

:lol: I sent this guy an email with an offer for 20 grand and his response was "no thanks its a spec B in mint condition"..My counter offer was my 335i for his spec B + 10 grand cash.

A spec.b in mint condition does not include dents, dings and winter driving. The price he is asking I would expected a garaged, near blemish free example with no winters.

• 2 weeks later...
Another car I'm considering now is a Mini Cooper S. Test drove one today and it was easily the most fun car I've ever driven, and that comes from previously owning a WRX, an EJ22T Swapped 98 LGT, & my 335i. Mini's are built well, their customer service is like no other car dealership I've been to. I'm not gonna lie it was nice for a change to go look at a car and have a salesman who actually knows more about the cars than I do :lol: So now I'm stuck deciding between the 2015 WRX and the Mini.

Yep. Wife had a 2006 supercharged Cooper S and we fought over the keys now and then. If you get me started I won't stop talking about it. They are stupid fun to drive and almost can't tell they are FWD, as in, it's not an issue.

It's a tough choice and honestly don't know myself which I would choose. The WRX is more practical and cheaper to maintain and easier to work on, as well as faster at least in a straight line. The S is a unique car that turns heads, drives like no other with its go-kart feeling and can be modded for power as well. Every time I got behind the wheel of the MINI it was just plain fun to drive, never got old or boring and even though there were faster cars out there, didn't care because I was having too much fun outmaneuvering the hell out of them. But then we had our first kid and that dream was over.

Thanks Mike, I hope all is well with you as well! I'm 110% certain I'm going to be getting the WRX, the Cooper S was a lot of fun to drive but all the bells and whistles that come with it made me feel less connected with the car. For the average joe things like mini connect and the added overdrive (if you go automatic) are great, but for an enthusiast I could predict ECU and other computer failures with that much technology added in to the car. I asked about a barebones Cooper S without all the things like Mini Connect and hill assistance but unless you go for the Cooperworks Mini that isn't possible. If I was going to spend 37k on a car I would much rather buy an STI or a used E90 M3. Bottom line is, as fun as it was I think that novelty would wear off after a month, so the WRX is the way to go.

I know this is what just about every subaru owner says but I don't have big modification plans when I buy this. Idealistically I would just upgrade the suspension and go stage 2. I'm not looking to join the 400HP club in my car, just want something I could drive everyday and rip on it when I want to

its definitely a much better experience than when I bought my 2.5i, in 2009 I had totaled my 98 LGT & had to get in a new car ASAP so I didn't have many options and wasn't planning on buying a new car anytime soon back then. I ended up finding my 2.5i for $16,000 which was perfect for me at the time financially and for the purpose of getting to and from. It still does a great job as my commuter car, I just want a fun car as well. After test driving a Cooper S, 2014 Evo and the WRX I've concluded that will be my next car.

The new WRX is a nice car. Deff bigger and more "family" oriented with the rear seating capacity. It is probably the most fun to drive car in its price range (imho). Its a Subie (with a turbo) so I dont really see how you could go wrong.

Archived