LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy Outback Won't Start without Code Alarm Programming Button

All,

I purchased a 1998 Legacy Outback in September. Everything was fine, it came with one key fob and alarm, keyless entry all good. About a month later I drove up to a place, turned off the car, came back out less than five minutes later and it would not start. After looking through the manual I tried pushing the Code Alarm Programming Button and the car started right up. Ever since then the car ONLY starts if I press the Code Alarm Programming Button while turning the key in the ignition. In addtion the key fob buttons don't do anything, the programming mode does not function, the valet mode light does not work and the dome light only comes on when the doors are open and shuts off immediately upon closing the doors. Any thoughts? I assume it is a security system issuse, but am at a loss. I appreciate any input for those of you who have some experience in this area. :-)

Thanks!

-Troy

To reprogram.

Open driver's door (leave open).

Turn ignition to on (not start).

Hold the button in @15 secs. The doors will lock cycle 3 times. After the third cycle, release button and push the lock button on the remote. If you have another remote, hit the lock button within 10-15 secs and it will program it also.

Should fix the issue.

Procedure is outlined in www.cars101.com

O.

Not sure. Is the valet button working? Check continuity. There is a fuse that controls the keyless entry etc. Look it up.

Here is link to fsm: http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/1999_Legacy_FSM/

It's for a 99, but should be the same for electrical.

Call dealer's parts/service and ask for suggestions.

Hope this helps.

O.

Hey Osei, thanks for the hint about the fuse. After running through some schematics I found there are TWO fuses and they are both outside the fuse box. I looked around and found that one of the fuses was just missing. No idea where it went, it wasn't under the floor mat or anywhere in that area. So I put in a new 20 amp fuse, the alarm went off, lights flashing etc. I turned the key to 'On' pressed the code alarm override button for one second and everything works normally!! Thanks again for your suggestion about the fuse. :-)

-Troy

• 2 years later...
so I got my 1998 Subaru Legacy GT andwhen the keyless entry goes off an alarm set offit stops me from starting the engineI tried disconnecting the batteryunplugging the keyless entry box taking it apart put it back togetherthe driver side door lock mechanism is broke on the outside the keyless entry fob hasn't been used since I received the vehicle. Its battery is dead. said my car will be running fine one moment and then I'll stop turn the key also in the alarm will get tripped and it leaves my car inoperable. Its usually drains the battery and it starts up fine when I jump itI've looked at diagrams and checked all the fusesI'm getting new batteries for the keyless entry fob to try and reset but I don't think it will work with my messed up lock mech any help would be greatly appreciated.

first get a battery for the fob, they are cheap,

and that would likely eliminate all your troubles.

i do not know why the alarm is sounding if you are not setting it with the fob.

the alarm on the 98 is not set unless you use the fob.

so when you open with a key it will not sound the alarm.

there is a chance that the fob is not ''programmed'' in to the system,

getting into programming mode can be a challenge but not impossible.

but try this to reset the system,

or any time the battery has gone dead.

disconnect the battery cable,

put the key in the ignition,

turn the key to start and let go,

reconnect the battery.

when the battery is disconnected and reconnected,

the system assumes you are stealing the car,

unless you have the key in the run position.

the key not working the door lock?

the key does not turn? the lock may have been replaced

the key turning but not unlocking is probably a disconnected rod in the door.

remove the inside door card and tale look.

link to alarm info:

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

I've tried disconnecting and connecting battery with the key in the on position. Nothing. When I turn the key over once to accessories the clock comes on but when I turn it to on the backlight in the screen turns off like its not getting anything . The alarm used to go off by itself all the time so I disconnected the horn. The starter interrupt on the keyless entry box h7110as011 plug comes out by itself and usually all I have to do is plug it in and starts right up. The red light next to the steering wheel blinking without me using the fob or even pushing the light.

some one has screwed up the wiring.

the alarm unit / remote entry unit is probably losing power,

either just like the radio,

or when ever the key is turned off.

what happens when you disconnect the remote entry unit altogether?

i know it can screw up the driver door lock,

but it shold not interfere with the rest of the car operating.

The red light next to the steering wheel blinking without me using the fob or even pushing the light.

that is for the VALET mode, which should be alarm OFF.

when the red light is blinking try pressing the button.

The starter interrupt on the keyless entry box h7110as011 plug comes out by itself

use duck tape or zip ties.

Yeah the wiring is a mess underneath but looks mostly factory. What is that green plug underneath there.? When I plug it in the cel stays on but when its unplugged it goes away? And there is zip ties and I got a new battery for my fob but its not doing anything I'll try reprogramming it I suppose. The valet light goes on and off by itself randomly but the car won't start as long as its flashing and making a click click noise

Archived