LegacyGT.com

Need Help! Bad Transmission

Rollin Wes

I need your advice.

I have an 05 Legacy GT 5eat, 35,000 miles. Two days ago I noticed some slippage in the transmission. Mostly when I accelerate enoough that boost kicks in and most noticible on the highway in 5th. Well today the dealership did say it is failing. The problem is 2 months ago I by accident double gasketed the transmission filter and it sprays fuid out on the road and stranded me. The car was only driven maybe 5 miles and love 35 mph speeds when this all happened. At the time I did not know why it leaked fluid and did not realize I had double gasketed the filter. My only thing to do was be honest and have it towed to the dealer where they identified the problem, fixed it and the car seemed to behave fine. Well here I am 2 month later with it beginning to act up.

I do however have it logged from a year ago feeling rought shifts and hearing houwling noise from the trans. They blew it off then as nothing big and said it would have to get worse before they even thought about fixing it.

because of Christmas it will be next week before the dealer and I are able to discuss the proble with Subaru and see if they will either help me or not.

What do you guys recommend????? Please Help

Also, I need to go out of Town for the holidays and should I put say 400 miles on it or try not to drive it more than I have too??

I placed a call to SOA's customer line and started a claim. I don't know if they will see things differently but I've got to try. I truly feel that my car has always had some problems with its transmission because a friend of mine near me with the exact car is stage 2 and is car shifts better and does not make the howling/whining noises that my cars transmission has made for over a year now.

It will be next week before they will be able to handle this.

Thats concerning. My 05 has about the same mileage on it and the transmission acts up on occasion, its nothing I can talk to the dealer about because the problems are often intermittant.

If anything Im subscribing to see how this goes.

I am notoriously bad on transmissions, if an a/t 50k on me its above average. (it cant be me it has to be crappy transmissions ;) )

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Yeah, it really depends on how much fluid was leaked and whether or not that dealership documented it to your VIN number. If they didn't I would take it to another dealer.

i'm sure they did.

OP, I hope the dealer will work with you especially since you were up front and honest. Most dealers have everyone lie to them. I know here, they try and do what they can to get SOA to work with those who are being truthful. GL, and let us know what happens. I'd be curious to find out what is causing the slippage. what mods if any do you have?

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Subaru has made an offer to pay for diagnosis of the transmission so see why it failed. At that point if it is due to a flaw they will fix if not I will have to pay for the repair. They will pay for everything up to that point however. What do you guys think? Trade as is or take the possibility of having to get the transmission rebuilt for at most $3,000 with oem part?

I thought about trading the car in, but then I don't know what I'd buy since they don't make the wagons any longer. I don't want an outback and you can hardly find a wagon around the south.

Subaru has made an offer to pay for diagnosis of the transmission so see why it failed. At that point if it is due to a flaw they will fix if not I will have to pay for the repair. They will pay for everything up to that point however. What do you guys think? Trade as is or take the possibility of having to get the transmission rebuilt for at most $3,000 with oem part?

I thought about trading the car in, but then I don't know what I'd buy since they don't make the wagons any longer. I don't want an outback and you can hardly find a wagon around the south.

I think that's a good move by SOA. They will pay for diagnosis, and if it is indeed something that was not your fault, etc, that means they are willing to consider fixing it for you.

Go ahead and do that and see what will happen. IF they fix it for ya, great, if not, fortify that tranny:). You trading it in would be a much bigger loss than just repairing the tranny. Good luck with your situation.

Well, the more I think about it, its probably not a good idea to trade it in like I want to. Since their is a record that the car has a problem, and is still under warranty who ever I trade the car over to could probably come back on me for not letting them know. I mean its not like I would be getting ride of a car that I had not idea was breaking. Thier is proof form SOA it has a problem wether or not its a defect or my fault.

I'm planning to persue SOA's offer and have the transmission diagnosed.

Going ahead and investigating the problem is the right thing to do in my mind as well. However it works out, I think that in 6 months it'll be a non-issue in your mind since you'll still have your wagon and the tranny will be solid.

Sometimes stuff happens, $3k sounds pricey right now, but we just spent $5k getting the freaking AC system fixed in my wife's 01 BMW 325i (although I think that I hate that car now).

Going ahead and investigating the problem is the right thing to do in my mind as well. However it works out, I think that in 6 months it'll be a non-issue in your mind since you'll still have your wagon and the tranny will be solid.

Sometimes stuff happens, $3k sounds pricey right now, but we just spent $5k getting the freaking AC system fixed in my wife's 01 BMW 325i (although I think that I hate that car now).

Did you get my pm?

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to give a complete update.

Subaru agreed to tear down my transmission and find out why it was slipping.

The diagnosis was that due to the fluid leak and it cooked the clutch packs in 5th gear.

Now I know some here say Subaru does not rebuild the transmissions, but they sort of did. Subaru replaced the clutch pack assembly and inspected the rest of the transmission for damage. No other damage was found and they paid for everything as a "good faith" repair.

Man am I lucky. I do hope everything else will be fine over time but I'm glad they fixed it. It put my faith in the Subaru brand and I'm sure I will stay a customer.

The transmission seems to be working fine and I've put about 750 miles on the car since being repaired.

Archived