LegacyGT.com

Questions about the Legacy Spec B

I'm new to Subaru performance, so forgive me if these are dumb questions. Is the Legacy Spec B just a 2.0 liter? I read somewhere that it makes 276 horsepower. At what psi? The American Legacy GT is a 2.5 liter that runs at 13.5psi, right? And yet it is only rated at 250 horsepower. So is the Spec B 2.0 liter the same motor as the American WRX 2.0 motor? I wonder why Subaru switched up to the 2.5 for the Amercian version of the Legacy Turbo?

The 2.5L turbocharged engine we use is also used in somewhat modified form also in the Forester XT, the Baja XT, and the WRX STi. I'm not sure what pressure their turbo operates at, but it is also a different turbine setup for improved low-end torque. Remember, to get the same amount of power, a smaller displacement engine will have to burn about the same amount of air/fuel, but will have to cram more into a smaller space, hence higher pressure. Numbers are numbers. They might look good in the books, but they aren't necessarily what is being put out. It is speculated the Legacy is putting out slightly more than what it is rated at, however, the Forester XT is estimated to be producing over 240hp and 260lb-ft of torque, while it's stated to be producing 210/235 respectively.

Archived