LegacyGT.com

Engine bogging, RPM's up and down while accelerating?

I have a legacy gt, 05, this morning when leaving the house the car started feeling really weird when pushing gas pedal. Rpms will go up to 2500, down to 2k, up to 3000, down to 2500, etc while pushing constant on gas pedal, I've never felt anything like it, and no check engine light came on at all. recent maintains cue includes timing belt around 8k miles ago and haven't had any other problems since did this so am thinking not related, also really hoping can't have anything to do with turbo, which was also replaced around 20k miles ago. Really not even sure where to start on this one and tried to search with my vague explanation terms and not finding anything, any ideas??

Slipping clutches maybe, I'm not familiar with Subaru auto Trans but if the shift points are electrically controlled or vacuum controlled those could also cause the same issues. Have you checked the fluid, are there mods to the Trans. A possible clogged Trans filter will cause pressure spikes low fluid will cause heat slip

Of the car is knocking under load and pulling timing yes, but usually it picks up misfire cel when it does something like that. Does the car idle fine? Sad but it sounds more and more like Trans slip to me if the engine revs up without increasing speed while accelerating that is a tell tell sign of drivetrain slip.

Front O2 sensor. Check STFT and I'll bet it's reading -25 to +25. They go bad sometimes without setting a CEL and can cause the surging you're talking about. I just had it myself with an 8 month old NTK O2. If you know someone that has a good one, borrow it, throw it in, and I'll bet it clears up your problem.

Archived