LegacyGT.com

BR-Z at Washington Auto Show

landark

I'm sure this is probably old news to everyone, but I was just so excited to see it in person and sit inside it.

It wasn't on the list of cars I saw promoting the show. But the surprise of stumbling upon it was worth the cost of admission.

So in case someone else didn't know, go see it.

There is no FR-S.

I was able to get in and sit in the driver's seat. I didn't think to take pictures, but it looks like all the pictures I have seen.

I posted this in the Subaru news section, I'll repost here.

Interior is very sleek. I liked the look and feel of pretty much everything. There are switches at the bottom of the center stack that are like toggle switches which are neat but feel kinda cheap. I don't remember what they were all for, but there are 5 of them.

There is no back seat. Ok, yes, the seat is there, but in my driving position the back of the driver's seat actually touches the back seat.

It's remarkably smaller than a Genesis.

The seats in the one I sat in were very highly bolstered and fit me perfectly. (5' 10" 165lbs) The driving position is excellent.

I conferred with the Subaru rep and she confirmed base is expected to be $25k and the option package "around" $27k - no discussion of a turbo version that she's aware of.

I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bring this up, but I'm hesitant to think the BRZ will become a long term success. And I mean making it to a true 2nd generation model. Not based on its own merits, because I think it's a great car. But in the history of remixing Toyota cars for other manufacturers (at least here in the states) hasn't brought a lot of success to the partner company.

Pontiac Vibe v. Toyota Matrix

Chevy/Geo Prism v. Toyota Corolla

...others?....

I hope I'm wrong, but if for some reason one car is ever put on the chopping block between the BRZ and FT, I think the Toyota brand wins. Toyota is trying to revamp their image to be sportier, they have a stronger (or more recognized) heritage of small RWD cars, and having such a small RWD is new to the Subaru enthusiast. Again, I hope I'm wrong, and I'm playing devil's advocate if this situation ever occurs, but Toyota would take this car and run with it if push came to shove.

Archived