LegacyGT.com

New parts and new questions

First off I must say fred beans is a great vendor this is the second purchase I have made from them and couldn't be happier. The products always show up on time and packaged very well.

So on to my new parts:cool:

I got the fred beans stage 3.5 brake kit:

Which is just rotors all the way around (I got slotted only), pads, SS brake lines and fluid.

Then I decided to finally make the plunge to stage 2, I've been stage 1 on a tuning alliance tune for about 6 months and been craving more. I recently had a ACT lightweight flywheel and clutch (+TSK3) put in and have been feelin the need for more power. So I got a Perrin Up-pipe and Perrin Down Pipe (Single Piece Catted) and all the necessary gaskets and hardware to bolt it all back up fine. Pics below.

I also installed new tires on some old wheels I had, wheels are KYOWA KR210, I put Bridgestone RE760 Sport tires 225/45/17 on them.

I have a couple questions for you guys. On my Down-Pipe there is a flange that sticks out on the turbo side, I know I have seen threads where people have cut them off for clearance issues, but mine looks to be notched on the flange or somehow acquired damage in a very isolated area. I doubt this because the rest of the piece looks flawless. My first question is do I need to worry about this flange clearing the turbo (pics below)?

Update: *So if you have a LGT and get a perrin down pipe that has a flange on it don't even bother trying to put it on just cut it off before hand to save yourself a big headache*

The second question is about my tires. The tires are directional (asymmetrical) and when I went home and looked at the tires I thought that Discount Tires had put 4 drivers side tires on my car, all of the tires say side out on the side wall, but the pattern in the tires is going different directions from drivers side to passenger side, in the pics there are some of the tires tread. You can see both tires tread leads towards the outside of the car, but that the curve is different. I took the car back and asked the guy if this was normal, they didn't have anymore of the tires in stock but brought out another directional tire and said he thinks that's how its is supposed to be. So my question is did I get a set of tires all meant for 1 side?

Thanks

Downpipe2.thumb.jpg.16554566a505bde7173028cc8aa79d05.jpg

Downpipe3.thumb.jpg.2a39c834bc2beaefd998f89995dc6037.jpg

Downpipe4.thumb.jpg.045e4700bd19e97841e2219e71d0c929.jpg

Downpipe5.thumb.jpg.b33dade1b5adad7c67c3f76f3faa6906.jpg

downpipe6.thumb.jpg.3849dca24bcbe96d86fbf2a4139a93be.jpg

Downpipe7.thumb.jpg.d10a5a9e740d1a65efe5f71fe5877410.jpg

Uppipe1.thumb.jpg.09753032ffde7c2e86b5cd0621ae478b.jpg

Hardware1.thumb.jpg.81e30bff12a134b0684f7cef22caa9d2.jpg

SSBL.thumb.jpg.d01c63c240938e9191fc2175f81cd039.jpg

Rotors.thumb.jpg.4c97d8fb6d05f809e39be63415e66217.jpg

RE7601.thumb.jpg.828257d1bfea8a44aaca340827307886.jpg

RE7602.thumb.jpg.895f7f89eb61573b689bb8352832db2e.jpg

RE7603.thumb.jpg.4f4364a517c4c285330dc71286cb328f.jpg

Rims1.thumb.jpg.db01d55dcc5e4aa8b5eaa1e4eeab17c8.jpg

Rims2.thumb.jpg.0ce9f22ac97eee621a2faeea7970fb30.jpg

Rims3.thumb.jpg.20e2ba9277c7e4175e539ada53391989.jpg

:whore:for FredBeans parts. Those guys are awesome. I buy everything from them or JSC.

As for that down pipe, I bought the Perrin one piece from them and I'm 99% sure mine looks like the one they have on their site. http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1770/Perrin-Single-Piece-Subaru/Detail

According to Tire Rack, those tires can be mounted on either side of the car. Every directional tire I've had has a directional arrow with "rotation" next to it. If these don't have that or something similar, then you should be OK.

I bought the Perrin Catted DP from Beans about 6 months ago and it didn't have the flange on there (same as the previous poster stated). I think there have been issues with the wastegaste sticking (I could be mistaken here) but that was on the Invidia's. Sorry I can't be anymore help but try IMing Jeremy or Ryan over at FBP and see what they say.

Update: I called FBP and spoke with Dan he just said to slightly sand down where the notch is on the flange. He said I shouldn't have a problem with it, but for added peace of mind I could sand it down a small amount.

Anxious to get it on, I decided to order a full cat back also, AVO mid and Y along with the AVO (Wagon) tips should all be pretty sweet.

Update: I put on the brakes and painted my calipers gold on saturday, I will post up pics when I get some.

I installed the perrin uppipe and down pipe on sun and also JB welded my intercooler. The upipe went on just fine no leaks or anything wierd. The Down pipe was a little more troublesome the only problem was the flange which I was worried about. I trimmed it down some and it still stuck out to the point where I couldn't even get the down pipe mouth to come within stud distance on the turbo. I simply cut the flange completely off with a dremel and the down pipe bolted up perfectly.

*So if you have a LGT and get a perrin down pipe that has a flange on it don't even bother trying to put it on just cut it off before hand to save yourself a big headache*

Finally I updated my tune, right now I am just running the COBB stage 2 91' Tune, huge noticable difference. Its like driving a new car again, having a lightweight flywheel and upgraded clutch really compliment this tune very well.

Now I am just waiting for mt AVO mufflers and mid section, the mid section is on back order for about 4 weeks, but the mufflers will be in tomorrow, I'll get sound clips of just the mufflers and also of the mid when it comes in.

From the Product Description on the TireRack website:

The Potenza RE760 Sport is Bridgestone's Ultra High Performance Summer tire developed for drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans who want to maximize sport driving pleasure without abandoning treadwear. The Potenza RE760 Sport is designed to deliver sharp response along with traction in wet and dry conditions, however like all summer tires, the Potenza RE760 Sport is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Bridgestone's UNI-T Technology focuses on three primary tire components - the beads, casing and tread - that influence overall performance by enhancing comfort, handling and traction. The Potenza RE760 Sport molds an ultra high performance tread compound into an asymmetric tread design with a 3D center block to enhance dry traction and cornering ability.

NOTE: While initially appearing somewhat directional, the Potenza RE760 Sport tread design is only asymmetric, allowing tires to be mounted on either side of the vehicle.

The tire's asymmetric internal structure includes a Computer Optimized Component System that combines two high-tensile steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon to stabilize the tread area, enhance handling, high-speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight. The tire's stiffer outer sidewall reinforcement enhances steering response and cornering stability.

So, at least you know the tires are fine.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

For the tires, both sides of the tire will say side out, it just depends on how they're mounted onto the wheels.

There should be arrows on the side of the tire that point in the direction they're supposed to be rotating. If any of them are pointing in the wrong direction, just take them back to discount tires and they should be able to fix it.

There actually isn't arrows on these tires, which makes sense coming from the description Scooter posted. I was used to running Hankook Ventus V12 tires which did have arrows. I am pretty sure the tires are on correct. I really don't like discount tires touching my car (I've had a bad experience with them and it only takes 1 for me not to trust them), its wierd I would trust more peoples opinions on this forum than I would a professional sometimes.

Anyway thanks for input guys much appreciated

Archived