LegacyGT.com

Downshift or neutral when slowing down

Yes, keep it in gear as long as possible. In an emergency situation when you're gonna need to step on the gas to avoid an accident, being in the right gear will save you seconds. And seconds count.

Cosign.

In the Legacy, I downshift before I hit my brakes, unless I just missed a light, traffic is stopping unexpectedly, or I am in first or second gear. When a car has a lighter clutch pedal and I feel that it would not grab as it engages, I will go to the brake first and downshift as the car is slowing.

Yes, keep it in gear as long as possible. In an emergency situation when you're gonna need to step on the gas to avoid an accident, being in the right gear will save you seconds. And seconds count.

I agree, in my RSX-S I always downshifted to engine brake and tap my brakes so my it wouldnt rev up so high.

In my 5eat I still do the same...

In terms of what's better for the car...it makes no difference at all. Whether you downshift before stopping or go to neutral it makes no difference mechanically or reliability wise.

For me personally, sometimes I downshift and sometimes I put it in neutral. It depends. If I'm a distance away and the light turns red, I'll pop it in neutral and coast and and apply the brake as I get up to traffic. Other times I'll downshift and slow down that way as the traffic may start moving by the time I get up there. Other times I may downshift and brake as I get to the light/traffic. There is no 'right way' or 'better way'.

Coast as much as I can. I tend to know what's around me so the chances of needing power in a instent is pretty rare.

I tend to watch traffic and the up coming traffic lights and let the engine idle instead of using the compression and vacuum to slow me down.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I usually put it in neutral, bounce the needle off the rev limiter and then slam it into first gear coming from whatever gear i was in previously. Keeps the carbon out of the exhaust and keeps the clutch from burning....lmao!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

In the city or around town I push in the clutch and hold it while stepping on the brakes as well. So in gear(under 30mph or stop and go traffic)

Exiting off a freeway I throw it in N and coast up or down the ramp and then step on the brakes as I near the intersection.

Coast as much as I can. I tend to know what's around me so the chances of needing power in a instent is pretty rare.

I tend to watch traffic and the up coming traffic lights and let the engine idle instead of using the compression and vacuum to slow me down.

Pretty much my style too, but I do rev-match and engine brake as much as possible... especially downhill, which is likely why my brakes last so long.

Plus, as others have said, emergency avoidance is that much easier to initiate.

just drive however the **** you want.

Or this.... :)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I usually put it in neutral, bounce the needle off the rev limiter and then slam it into first gear coming from whatever gear i was in previously. Keeps the carbon out of the exhaust and keeps the clutch from burning....lmao!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oh great, I'll have to remember to follow everything you say from now on...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Don't forget that you're using gas while in neutral vs engine braking. QUOTE]

So when you using the engine compression to slow the car down, no fuel is being pumped into the cylinders to keep the engine running.

I didn't realize that. Never thought about it.

Don't forget that you're using gas while in neutral vs engine braking. QUOTE]

So when you using the engine compression to slow the car down, no fuel is being pumped into the cylinders to keep the engine running.

I didn't realize that. Never thought about it.

Exactly. At idle the engine requires fuel. If you leave it in gear it uses no fuel. In all actuality it also gives the cylinders a chance to cool down and the spark plugs to clean themselves because only fresh cool air with zero fuel is being inhaled by the engine.

If there is a red light far ahead I just leave it in the highest gear I can without lugging the engine. That way its not too loud.

Another factory is that downshifting to engine brake will (marginally) help to reduce pad wear. Potentially extending the life of your brakes.

Don't forget that you're using gas while in neutral vs engine braking. I only coast in neutral if I need to roll a longer distance before needing to stop.

But if you have to drive further using gas because the engine braking slows you down more than coasting, isn't that going to be about the same averaged out.

I was thinking about while driving home with another 400lbs of lime in the car.

But if you have to drive further using gas because the engine braking slows you down more than coasting, isn't that going to be about the same averaged out.

Probably, but I don't always engine brake. I assess the situation I'm in when slowing down and I'll either engine brake or coast in neutral.

One example would be a freeway exit ramp that's at an incline. If I engine brake, I won't make it to the top so I tend to put it in neutral and coast.

Archived