LegacyGT.com

Official North East Spotted Thread

SuperhawkLGT

White LGT Wagon with black wheels. On south border road, near the 93 rotary. Bearded driver. Was not in my LGT, so you didn't see me. That wagon looks great in white.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spotted Derek himself (but no LGT, because of course he brings the S2000 instead) at the last autox of the season yesterday at Devens. What a great day I had yesterday. I really feel like I've had a breakthrough at my last two events.

I've been running all damn season at least 15 seconds off the fastest time of the day (not counting the Dragons and Formula Fords and such, I'm talking production street cars here). Which means I'm usually about 10 seconds off Matt and his awesome wide-body sti (my in class competition in ASP). Which makes me about 8 seconds off Derek. Yesterday, I threw down a 61.7 which was 6 seconds off Derek and about 9 or 10 seconds off the fastest street cars. That is a significant improvement against the field. Yay! I'm finally getting better. :cool:

Not only that, but it rained Saturday night and the course was pretty wet and cold in the morning which made for a lot of slickness out there. I felt like I was dancing on ice all morning. On my very first run, I got very, very sideways. On my second run, I got a little bent out of shape transitioning from the taxiway to the runway and ended up with my first ever off pavement into the grass to cut the corner and DNF. An interesting side benefit of all this lack of grip was that I think I might finally have started to figure out how and when to catch the car on counter steer when it starts to over-rotate. Before yesterday, if I was hitting a turn too hard with the weight going the other way, I was going around, like it or not, or at least getting completely out of shape and off course or at least trashing the run.

Not only that, but I had a ton of fun as a complete noob (new to autocross, but not new to his car) in an Evo showed up in class against me and gridded next to me all day. His 100 extra hp, 30mm of extra tire, and several hundred pounds lighter on me versus my dozen or so events more experience ended up meaning one thing: we were competitive. Can't tell you how much fun we had going back and forth all day and then getting out and talking about our runs together.

So I finally put down a clean, but slow run for the last run of the morning. In the afternoon, I had a great 1st run for a 62. Then I ended up in the grass again on the back stretch on my penultimate run. Not only that, but my 62 was slower than my new Evo-buddy's 62. I was in second with one run to go. I had to go faster for my final run if I wanted to top my class (of the two of us). For my final run, I was tight and quick in the slow spots and I hauled the mail on the straights for a great run and I threw down that 61.7 and jumped ahead! He had a check engine light on the last run and couldn't improve. Unfortunately, when I checked the standings a few minutes later, I found out they had given me a cone and so my 61 wouldn't stand. I didn't think I hit a cone, but I'm sure I could have easily wobbled one out of the box and never even heard it, so I didn't worry too much about it. Then when I checked the final standings today, they had corrected my cone to +0 and at the end, I did stand on top! Man that was a ton of fun.

Alright, I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do with tires, so this is what I think I'm gonna try. I'll be switching to the winters any day now, but when I come back to the summers in the Spring, I have one Michelin PSS that had a nasty sidewall bulge. I also happen to have one Michelin PSS on my fifth wheel spare that has almost no wear on it whatsoever. I'm thinking that I might see if I can get that one shaved down to match the other three and then run 'em for a half a season or so. I really want to go r-comps, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. I've still got tread on these street tires yet. Once I feel like I've run enough events on 'em, I'll probably break out the r-comps and run a separate daily and autocross set. Then I'll just drive the PSSs on the street 'til they're completely dead (end of next summer probably) and run autocross on the r-comps.

I'm not sure about all the timing of that, but we'll see how it goes. Special thanks to bucko3the7man for all your assistance this season. I had an unbelievable amount of fun and you absolutely helped me find my way to doing this.

And finally, if anybody in New England finds themselves interested in getting started in autocross next season, feel free to hit me or bucko with any questions about how to get started. It would be awesome to have a fleet of LGTs out there flying the Subaru flag!

Edited by Dujo

Spotted Derek himself (but no LGT, because of course he brings the S2000 instead) at the last autox of the season yesterday at Devens. What a great day I had yesterday. I really feel like I've had a breakthrough at my last two events.

I've been running all damn season at least 15 seconds off the fastest time of the day (not counting the Dragons and Formula Fords and such, I'm talking production street cars here). Which means I'm usually about 10 seconds off Matt and his awesome wide-body sti (my in class competition in ASP). Which makes me about 8 seconds off Derek. Yesterday, I threw down a 61.7 which was 6 seconds off Derek and about 9 or 10 seconds off the fastest street cars. That is a significant improvement against the field. Yay! I'm finally getting better. :cool:

Not only that, but it rained Saturday night and the course was pretty wet and cold in the morning which made for a lot of slickness out there. I felt like I was dancing on ice all morning. On my very first run, I got very, very sideways. On my second run, I got a little bent out of shape transitioning from the taxiway to the runway and ended up with my first ever off pavement into the grass to cut the corner and DNF. An interesting side benefit of all this lack of grip was that I think I might finally have started to figure out how and when to catch the car on counter steer when it starts to over-rotate. Before yesterday, if I was hitting a turn too hard with the weight going the other way, I was going around, like it or not, or at least getting completely out of shape and off course or at least trashing the run.

Not only that, but I had a ton of fun as a complete noob (new to autocross, but not new to his car) in an Evo showed up in class against me and gridded next to me all day. His 100 extra hp, 30mm of extra tire, and several hundred pounds lighter on me versus my dozen or so events more experience ended up meaning one thing: we were competitive. Can't tell you how much fun we had going back and forth all day and then getting out and talking about our runs together.

So I finally put down a clean, but slow run for the last run of the morning. In the afternoon, I had a great 1st run for a 62. Then I ended up in the grass again on the back stretch on my penultimate run. Not only that, but my 62 was slower than my new Evo-buddy's 62. I was in second with one run to go. I had to go faster for my final run if I wanted to top my class (of the two of us). For my final run, I was tight and quick in the slow spots and I hauled the mail on the straights for a great run and I threw down that 61.7 and jumped ahead! He had a check engine light on the last run and couldn't improve. Unfortunately, when I checked the standings a few minutes later, I found out they had given me a cone and so my 61 wouldn't stand. I didn't think I hit a cone, but I'm sure I could have easily wobbled one out of the box and never even heard it, so I didn't worry too much about it. Then when I checked the final standings today, they had corrected my cone to +0 and at the end, I did stand on top! Man that was a ton of fun.

Alright, I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do with tires, so this is what I think I'm gonna try. I'll be switching to the winters any day now, but when I come back to the summers in the Spring, I have one Michelin PSS that had a nasty sidewall bulge. I also happen to have one Michelin PSS on my fifth wheel spare that has almost no wear on it whatsoever. I'm thinking that I might see if I can get that one shaved down to match the other three and then run 'em for a half a season or so. I really want to go r-comps, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. I've still got tread on these street tires yet. Once I feel like I've run enough events on 'em, I'll probably break out the r-comps and run a separate daily and autocross set. Then I'll just drive the PSSs on the street 'til they're completely dead (end of next summer probably) and run autocross on the r-comps.

I'm not sure about all the timing of that, but we'll see how it goes. Special thanks to bucko3the7man for all your assistance this season. I had an unbelievable amount of fun and you absolutely helped me find my way to doing this.

And finally, if anybody in New England finds themselves interested in getting started in autocross next season, feel free to hit me or bucko with any questions about how to get started. It would be awesome to have a fleet of LGTs out there flying the Subaru flag!

I'm interested for sure, just need some new wheels and or tires and I'll be ready for the track next summer. I'll be in touch when the time comes

• I Donated

It's been really awesome seeing you improve this season. You're really starting to get the hang of it! That 6 seconds off my time is damn impressive IMO, PSS are definitely your limiting factor there. Also really glad you're figuring out the slide thing, it's good to have that rear end dance around a little, but not so much that you could be a stunt driver for tokyo drift.

If I can offer a recommendation, don't go to R comps. When it rains, you're screwed, and you absolutely can't drive them on the street in any capacity. I suggest buying the bridgestone RE-71R in whatever size will fit well on your second set of wheels, and feel free to pick my brain on what size that is as well. The stones are the best street tire in the rain period, and they actually were faster than hoosier wets at a prosolo event earlier this year. Best wet grip + one of the two best dry tires = the tire to have. I swap mine on the night before autox, drive to the event on them, then drive home and swap them off. Makes my mornings less stressful at the event as well.

Regardless of what you choose, it's awesome to see you getting out there and driving your car like it was designed to be driven!

I'm interested for sure, just need some new wheels and or tires and I'll be ready for the track next summer. I'll be in touch when the time comes

Glad to hear it!

Count me in for that too. I'd love to start autocrossing. Gonna get expensive when I discover all the suspension maintenance I'll have to consider :lol:

That's the thing. Autocross is cheap. If you're comfortable driving your car on the street, then it's probably safe to autocross. Feel free to PM with any questions!

I'm interested too. I've autocross twice so far (both at WBM) and Dujo definitely held his own out there in the wagon. I think he beat my times pretty badly. i wanted to do autoX with VTSCC but most there races were over in NY this summer and a few got canceled so it felt a little difficult to get out there. But I will definitely be doing a couple ice time trials with them this winter and i can't freakin wait. i may have to get some new winter's if i don't keep up the first time as mine are coming up on 4 seasons of hard service. it's super cheap too even if you aren't a club member, $20 i believe.

I'm interested too. I've autocross twice so far (both at WBM) and Dujo definitely held his own out there in the wagon. I think he beat my times pretty badly. i wanted to do autoX with VTSCC but most there races were over in NY this summer and a few got canceled so it felt a little difficult to get out there. But I will definitely be doing a couple ice time trials with them this winter and i can't freakin wait. i may have to get some new winter's if i don't keep up the first time as mine are coming up on 4 seasons of hard service. it's super cheap too even if you aren't a club member, $20 i believe.

Ice time trials??? I want to be in on that!

If it were a GT, I would believe that the owner is just trying to be funny and ironic. On a pzev, I really do believe the owner just doesn't understand the difference. I hope you wrote a nice little note and left it on his windshield to help him avoid any further embarrassment. ;) Edited by Dujo

If it were a GT, I would believe that the owner is just trying to be funny and ironic. On a pzev, I really do believe the owner just doesn't understand the difference. I hope you wrote a nice little note and left it on his windshield to help him avoid any further embarrassment. ;)

I saw a PZEV 5th gen Legacy yesterday with a NASIOC license plate surround.

I have a small pipe-dream to build up an LGT to racecar status and slap a PZEV badge on the back :lol::lol:

I saw a PZEV 5th gen Legacy yesterday with a NASIOC license plate surround.

I have a small pipe-dream to build up an LGT to racecar status and slap a PZEV badge on the back :lol::lol:

I actually think about this daily. I think it would be funny to certain people.

Spotted a 5th gen RRP 3.6R yesterday on route 87 (the Adirondack way i think). had bumper protectors on it. i also saw a really sick C6 vette at the same time, really awesome dark blue paint job and some nice red accents, he downshifted into probably 2nd at 45 and did a nice little pull for me before hoppin off the highway. thank you whoever you are.

• 2 weeks later...
On wednesday i saw a ggm 5th gen GT right infront of St. Mike's i was a few cars up from you at a light, noticed, waved, stuck my head out the window. I'm not sure if you saw me, VT plates, gentleman with a beard driving.