LegacyGT.com

Brendan's STi 6MT Swap

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Sorry guys, I know it is taking forever. The hardening takes time because the shop sends a bunch of stuff to LA at one time for hardening. I hope to have everything finished shortly. Again I apologize for the delay.

haha an apology. Like you owe us anything :D

Looking forward to reading about the end result.

Official update:I know funny right.

Anyway My axles are finished. I will be picking them up next Monday or Tuesday, just depends on when I have the time. So next week I should be able to give you guys a definitive answer on the will this work question.

On a side note I finally got around to moving the air tunnel under the hood for the pw ic. Needed to be moved forwards about an inch. Now the hood will close properly with the tunnel installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I imagine. It was kind of a rush at the end, because the hardening place lost the original set and he had to make a new set real fast. I have all the associated axles for templates though. He is real good. All he does is high end driveline stuff for NHRA etc.. If someone needs the specs I am sure I can get them. This has all been a bit discombobulated because of my pending move.

I think the specs would absolutely be necessary to archive here because as soon as my 6MT fails its going to get replaced with an STi 6MT. It would also be helpful to have this guys shop info so we know who to call.

Well folks it is finally finished. I installed both rear axles today. They went together very smooth and install was a piece of cake. Got in to start it and wouldn't it figure, dead battery. So I put it on a charge for a couple hours. Finally it was time to test it. I got in and fired it up. Whats this, Christmas tree on the dash, well thats new. I tested a few things and it turns out one of the times I pulled the axles I bungled the wire for one of the rear abs sensors. Well at least that is a super easy fix. I ordered a new one that will be here Thursday.

I knew that would not prevent me from driving so I gingerly took it for a test run. I could not go too far because I currently have no registration. Anyway, I ran it around the block several times(my block is about 3 miles). Drives perfect. The STI trans and r180 are a bit noisy until they warm up, but other than that it all went perfect. I did not run it too hard because the gas in there is crappy, but even at 1/2 throttle with basically no boost I can tell it is going to haul butt when I get on it. I cant wait to get some good gas in there and take it for a real spin.

So it is confirmed. The STI 6speed will work for us. Mind you this is no easy swap, but looks like all of my mods worked just as I planned, well almost anyway. Thanks for following.

20171021_161707.thumb.jpg.7f3d928f10f068956572c6dfbfcba3a3.jpg