LegacyGT.com

sad day, i need a new transmission... place to buy in CA?

faded1004

hey guys, need to pick up a new transmission... does anyone know of where i can pick up a used or re manufactured one in California? preferably in socal?

my TO bearing went out and really damaged my input shaft and the bell housing area around the input shaft... (EDIT ADDED) i wanted to also add some of the problems leading up to this failure. the clutch pedal would occasionally make a super light winning noise and would go away when i cycled the clutch pedal. i only had the car for 3 weeks? so i thought it would go alittle longer as i was waiting on my new clutch and flywheel to come in. on the last day. i did notice weird vibrations in the pedal when bring pressed. like, as i was pressing it and when i got all the way in i got like slight bumping. this was in the morning and was doing my usual easy driving, lunch date with wife and came back home to drop her off. went to work and before i got onto freeway on ramp i heard crunching and the clutch was really fighting me back now. i rolled to the side and called it done.

picture of the damage:

input shaft area, this is where the TO bearing slides

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ive4ar.jpg

tranny out and bleeding, such a sad day! 177k miles and it shifts like butter!

http://i45.tinypic.com/10rtpir.jpg

clutch kit all out... TO fork damaged too

http://i50.tinypic.com/2vkf1ms.jpg

closeup of the TO bearing...

http://i45.tinypic.com/2gvrpf7.jpg

car part wins... found 2 only...

dealership = 4000 +tax and shipping

1700 all said and done, 100k miles

1215 + shipping + tax + core, 59k miles

got the lower milage one for 1500... my car will be out of commision until tuesday... i just hope it fits...

Dude! That transmission looks like a perfect candidate for the TSK (throw out bearing snout kit). See http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=tsk3&x=0&y=0

My transmission was worse than that (snout machined off) and it fixed it perfectly.

What's the core charge for your LGT transmission? It might be worth keeping it instead and selling it here.

now that is what i call help! thank you for that! wow...

ordering it now... i wonder if fred bean has discount codes? might as well order some other things too!

Dude! That transmission looks like a perfect candidate for the TSK (throw out bearing snout kit). See http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=tsk3&x=0&y=0

My transmission was worse than that (snout machined off) and it fixed it perfectly.

What's the core charge for your LGT transmission? It might be worth keeping it instead and selling it here.

just wanted to update... fredbean sent out my bearing ground shipping even though i paid for air...

feeling like they didn't want to help much and me not wanting to complain, i just paid for another one shipped over night. should be here tomorrow maybe? and the first one should arrive late monday. will return it when that one comes in. lame cause i think i am going to have to fork out the cash to ship it back to them. very sour first purchase from fred bean. let's see how are once i start the return.

my car has been out of commission for too long! i will take pictures of the repair kit once it comes in.

• I Donated

tis just a flesh wound.

It is a 5MT? I have a 5MT case (nothing in it) that you can swap your internals over to if you're interested in buying it. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new transmission.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

i got the bearing in... but it looks kinda weak? the set screws are so tiny? i am going to work on it monday morning. i will snap pictures of the isntall and get it going. i may put some center punch dents on the side to grab the set screws better? not sure. may be alittle thread locker?

i may consider your case, but i think it might be too crazy for me to try. i just hope this works and i can move on... headgasket needs attention....

• I Donated

Its not nearly as bad as you would think it is to take it apart. All the internals swap over as whole assemblies....you literally lift the parts out of yours and set them in the new case. Easy as cake. The only thing you would want to do is replace the input shaft seal and the input shaft bearing. Both can be picked up at your local subaru dealer for pretty cheap.

Here is a pic of the transmission that I gutted (the case I offered to sell you). As soon as you split the case, you literally just lift out all the stuff...it pretty much floats in the transmission...the two halfs of the case keep the stuff in place. (click on picture to make it bigger)

5mt.jpg.5b8cd09aa77b336b1be6584e0fc5b480.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

wow, i would think you need to adjust shims and stuff for each of the skewers? i may consider that once i get the tsk kit a try on monday. i took a quick look and it looks so flimsy. like... double thickness soda can... not tight fit. i am worried it wont' last a full clutch life cycle.

for sure, let me try to install it and i will get back to you on the tranny case, i may go that option and give that one a try also.

what part of ca you in? my friend has a garage full of subaru parts, cases included, probably has seals and such also

and for that much money i could sell you my 5 speed, and swap in the 6mt sitting in my garage, 73Kmiles, new 5th gear, checked, reassembled with new seals by master subaru technician at 61K miles

Just started on the transmission retrofit kit. It wasn't loose like I thought. But it didn't slide on either. I took 1500grit and palm sanded the snout alittle. Liked about 1 min. At that point it was super tight fit. Added some lithium grease and pushed it in with some nitril gloves and alittle hitting.

I noticed the box says 06 and up? But Fred beans site says 05 and up.

So far it looks okay. Used medium strength locktite on the set screws and I am waiting on the lift to clear up. The clutch fork I picked up doesn't fit. It was bought from the junk yard as 05 legacy? Anyways, it is probably from an older legacy. Posted a comparision pic. My original is on left. You can see the new one isn't wide enough. Will post more updates as I progress.

IMAG0438.thumb.jpg.fcdc73bb4a3176ac35ce1b5135d37036.jpg

2012-08-20_10-39-45.thumb.png.bb748ad2117274400728532a8b1169c3.png

IMAG0439.thumb.jpg.4376ba8d8e09480709ee5f9d69a92ff5.jpg

IMAG0440.thumb.jpg.75a28decf2c9a303685bea7bed81064a.jpg

IMAG0441.thumb.jpg.633448a3f33be66df6a52bb82c4ebf3d.jpg

I am located in SoCal, but I go to san Jose a lot.

what part of ca you in? my friend has a garage full of subaru parts, cases included, probably has seals and such also

and for that much money i could sell you my 5 speed, and swap in the 6mt sitting in my garage, 73Kmiles, new 5th gear, checked, reassembled with new seals by master subaru technician at 61K miles

okay, i just wanted to give a last update...

transmission went in well. i have driven only about 40 miles today. and all seems well. the pedal seems smooth even though the sleeve seems bumpy when handling it right out of the box. there seems to be no notiable difference in throw for the pedal feel.

as for the bearing noise i had before it is all gone. i do have this weird noise when i leave it in gear and coast. not sure what is up with that. but it is very ligth and i can only hear it with the windows down and when driving next to the median where the sound bounces up to the window.

durign the install i found the passenger side valve cover is starting to leak on the bottom side. i haven't noticed any oil or coolant consumption so i am not too worried at the moment. i am going to do timing belt and head gasket in 2 weeks so i think i can make it to then.

anyways, all seems well and i would totally recommend this kit. well worth the money especially when i thought i HAD to buy a new transmission.thanks for all your help guys!

Archived