LegacyGT.com

05 LGT check engine light/sucking grinding sounds

Im pretty sure the turbo is about to go but im not sure. It goes to the shop today hopefully they can get back to me and let me know whats wrong with it. Has anyone else experienced this? Im kinds curious about whats going on with it.

I have an extended warranty on it and everything should be covered. Also the shop I am taking it to, replaced the turbo, TMIC, and a power steering pump a year ago. So if it is the turbo, or anything that goes along with that, theres going to be hell to pay.

And yes I am having it towed in. The last thing I want is to blow the engine on it.

Just had it dropped off. When i started it to move it from my parking stall to have to loaded on to the tow truck, a ton of white smoke came from the exhaust. When I dropped it off they actually listened to what I had to say about the vehicle. I should hear back tomorrow on whats wrong and what needs replaced.

I heard back today, they think its the turbo bearing. They called questioning me about oil changes and asking to scope the engine if needed, once they look at the turbo. I change my oil every 3000 to 4000 miles (depending on work and time off) and put a full synthetic in it. He asked about receipts but I do the oil changes myself and have never saved the receipts for it, seeing that buying oil doesn't prove anything. I should hear back hopefully tomorrow or Saturday on what they find. Has anyone else had issues with an extended warranty company pushing them around for doing oil changes themselves?

Has anyone else had issues with an extended warranty company pushing them around for doing oil changes themselves?

unfortunately that is very common, both with third party extended warranties as well as with Subaru Of America. remember they want to keep your money, not shell it back out with little questions asked.

And id say if you were POURING, as in constant thick white smoke for more than 5 minutes, its most likely not just condensation. see any blue smoke? turbo failure typically brings along much more blue than white smoke.

I didnt have it the car for any longer then a minute. I backed it out of a parking stall lined it up with a tow truck and and turned it off. It had just set for 2 days. So I cant say if the smoke stuck around for a a while. I didn't see any blue smoke really but like I said it wasn't on for long.

What in the motherfuck does "sucking grinding sounds" mean?

It sounded like air being sucked through a straw and if the RPMs got to high I would hear grinding sounds like the turbo fins hitting the surroundings.

Sorry for my lack of proper car terms. I grew up working on cars with my grandfather and he was a farm mechanic that just used terms that made since to him and his co-workers.

It sounded like air being sucked through a straw and if the RPMs got to high I would hear grinding sounds like the turbo fins hitting the surroundings.

Sorry for my lack of proper car terms. I grew up working on cars with my grandfather and he was a farm mechanic that just used terms that made since to him and his co-workers.

No worries. Just thought it was odd that nobody else had asked about this. Apparently almost everyone else on here has heard this noise firsthand, but not me <knocks on wood>.

ask the shop what check engine codes its throwing if any at all. Typical turbo failure codes are P0021 and P0011 saying something like "cam position sensor timing over advanced" or something like that

A friend of mine came over with his engine code puller thing, and those were the codes that came up.

Start looking for anew turbo, mine didn't last a 1000 miles or so after those codes.

When the turbo bgins to whine drive it easy, when it begins to whistle, stop driving the car.

Replace the turbo before it takes the block with it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I heard back from the shop again today. He said the turbo was blown and they saw metal in the oil and oil in the manifolds. They scoped the engine and saw something thing so there removing the heads right now and getting the extended warranty guys out there hopefully by Monday. Hopefully its not a drawn out process getting stuff replaced. :/

• 2 weeks later...
Just a little update. The shop pulled 1 head and said they saw enough to get the extended warranty guys out there. When they showed up they took pics agreed the work needs done and took a bunch of pics to send up to the head office for review. I was suppose to hear back from the shop Thursday but didnt hear anything yet. Im getting sick of the waiting game.

Third party warranty?

Yea Third party warranty. I bought the car used off a Toyota lot, I pretty much saved its life, When I bought it it needed a lot of work all which I made the car lot do before I took delivery of it. Pulled to the right real bad, rear bumper was about to fall off, the exhaust needed to be completely looked at. I think the kid who has the car before me drove it all to hell and didnt take care of it. Now 2 years and 30k later its blown 2 turbo's and this time it took the engine with it. I think once I get it fixed im going to start to look for something else. Maybe an 09ish LGT with low miles or a truck. I really love the car but can't deal with putting it in the shop every year.

Just a quick update for those who are still interested. I called the shop today, and the extended warranty company has ok'd the short block, turbo, pulleys, and timing belt. They had to order a special tool to remove one of the heads (is that normal?) and they are going to a different shop to see if they can be repaired or do we need to get new casts for them. The warranty company will not cover a water pump and the shop suggest it gets replaced so im thinking I will just pay for that and a new starter while were at it. So things are looking good. I will let you know when I get her back. Also anything special I should do once I get it back. I have never owned a Subaru with a new engine in it. I know on other cars I should keep the RPMs down until I get over 10k on it. Anything else special I should do or watch out for?

Archived