LegacyGT.com

New Depo Cleared Headlights

GT_Red

I bought some headlights made by DEPO off ebay and put them on today.

Small PITA with the bumper and the brackets and all, but got it done in about an hour and a half.

They look great, fresher than my clouded old OEM ones, I just wish it was easier to restore my paint to make it shine like new again!

WP_000036.jpg.4322f0553b2522c03650e33d18421b60.jpg

WP_000037.jpg.16f0df4c593bc89869a11673eb18b470.jpg

WP_000038.jpg.e90f9fa23cb2c7470888d3209193d92d.jpg

depot lights can kraze bad over time after being baked in the oven. I have a cleared set with some krazing I would be happy to sell anyone for $50 plus shipping :lol:

GLWyour depot cleared lights. Hope they work out better for you than me.

I'll try to post some pics. The old lights are currently 100mi away. I think it was a function of the head and that if it was at a lower temp you can get away with it (to the best of my knowledge a vendor on the forum uses DEPOT lights for clearing/etc).

Krazing is when the lights look like someone threw rocks at it with little scratch like marks in it. I am certain it comes from heat-cycling in the sun after the molecular structure of the plastic was weakened in the oven making it somehow more brittle.

Just keep an eye on them and hope for the best. Don't sell your OEM till your DEPOT lights have survived the summer without krazing. If they do not kraze this summer I doubt they will.

I'll try to post some pics. The old lights are currently 100mi away. I think it was a function of the head and that if it was at a lower temp you can get away with it (to the best of my knowledge a vendor on the forum uses DEPOT lights for clearing/etc).

Krazing is when the lights look like someone threw rocks at it with little scratch like marks in it. I am certain it comes from heat-cycling in the sun after the molecular structure of the plastic was weakened in the oven making it somehow more brittle.

Just keep an eye on them and hope for the best. Don't sell your OEM till your DEPOT lights have survived the summer without krazing. If they do not kraze this summer I doubt they will.

Saw your lights in person. Looks like a lightning storm haha.:lol: I bought some Depo lights myself, and baked them, although i baked them at a low temperature (215ish) instead of the 250+ that most people do when baking lights. No problems since march. If they do **** up though I will be buying OEM.

Ok posted pics,

Even if they do "kraze" they will still look better than the stock ones. I had them polished couple times already, so there wasn't anything I could do more for them. The desert heat does what it does. Just lucky I have covered parking.

So glad I didn't buy a house out here...

Nothing is going to withstand desert heat cycling and sun except glass. Ah the good ol'days:cool:

Saw your lights in person. Looks like a lightning storm haha.:lol: I bought some Depo lights myself, and baked them, although i baked them at a low temperature (215ish) instead of the 250+ that most people do when baking lights. No problems since march. If they do **** up though I will be buying OEM.

Sure is wierd looking isnt it? Can't figure out how it could have happened other than krazing. Those "lightning storm" marks are on the INSIDE in case you did not get a chance to TOUCH them. Its NOT on the outside. No polishing that out easily.:spin:

My old '01 SAAB had glass headlights, those were nice, didn't have to worry about the discoloration. Like I said though, the desert will do its worst. Monsoon season will begin next month, might give some reprieve.

Next project will be to install the kyb struts/shocks with progress springs.

• 1 year later...

Archived