LegacyGT.com

Help! Timing Belt Issue

So, I'm working through a timing belt change (following the thread in the Maintenance sub), and the damn vice grips slipped off the drivers side cam gears. Both cams turned, but I have no idea which direction they turned.

What can I do to get them back in time? I know they turn at half the speed of the crank, so do I need to rotate them both clockwise twice? Or do I just get them lined up, turn the crank by hand and hope for the best? :spin:

Help!

I would proceed carefully. You need to figure out if the valves are hung up on eachother or if both sets went back to "closed" (or seated) position. I'm assuming your CRANK was at TDC? If you were at TDC the valves would not interfere with pistons. Is the engine in the car or on a stand?

The crank was at TDC yes, I already had the belt off,sp the timing marks were lines up. The motor is in the car.

I don't think the valves are hung up on each other. I turned each cam slightly until I felt pressure, and didn't hear anything release.

The crank was at TDC yes, I already had the belt off,sp the timing marks were lines up. The motor is in the car.

I don't think the valves are hung up on each other. I turned each cam slightly until I felt pressure, and didn't hear anything release.

You should be good to go then. Just start over.

Ok. I rotated each cam through by hand into position, and didn't feel anything bind or any severe pressure. I'll be triple checking the timing marks for sure.

Is there anything extra I can do when turning the crank through by hand? Just being cautious.

Thanks!

Just for your info next time. You really should not use vice grips on any timing belt. I've seen more then a couple guys damage a belt that way. Best thing I have found for cheap is the clips they make for stuff like potato chip bags. More then strong enough to hold the belt on but won't damage it.

Just for your info next time. You really should not use vice grips on any timing belt. I've seen more then a couple guys damage a belt that way. Best thing I have found for cheap is the clips they make for stuff like potato chip bags. More then strong enough to hold the belt on but won't damage it.

I'd bet he wasn't using the vice-grips to hold the belt, but using them to hold the intake/exhaust cams at their marks by clamping the pulleys together, another big no-no IMO. You can brake the bake-light pulleys pretty easily doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm also in the middle of a timing belt job and have run into a variation on this problem.

I was taking the timing belt off without the cam-lock tool, not knowing that the valve springs would turn the cam shafts (driver side). I was startled by this and released the belt from my hands when it engaged the cam again and I believe kept the valves from seating back all the way. This is the current state that it's in.

The crank was TDC when this happened and the car is on stands. How am I supposed to proceed? I feel like I'm missing something because page ME(H4DOTC)-42 in the manual simply says to remove the timing belt after removing the bottom idler pulley - no mention of a cam lock tool.

What are the positions of the driver side valves when the crank is at TDC?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

You will probably be ok. You'll need to turn each cam clockwise until the match marks line up. I turned them by hand, you could also use a wrench.

Turn them very slowly and very carefully. Start with the top. If they both turn free at first, you're OK. You can turn each cam through a complete cycle without damaging anything. Don't let them spin counter clockwise!

You'll need to secure them in place once they're rotated to where you want them. I'd use the old belt, or use a bolt and nut to keep the gears together.

There's a walk through in the maintenance section. Hope that helps!

Just for the record :)..

When a timing belt is changed, the pistons are not at TDC. TDC means 'top dead center', which means that the pistons are very close to the valves. Instead, when timing belts are changed, the pistons are half way in so as to avoid contact with the valves.

No worries. IIRC, there are two marks on the crank sprocket, a short notch at the back of it, and an arrow at the front of it. TDC is associated with the arrow. The notch is used for timing belt change.

Archived