LegacyGT.com

Help tune, new to me, stereo w/ CS.

Powerman

I traded a 05 for another 05 LGT. I'm trying to figure out the stereo. I have no info from the previous owner. I've been snooping around and then researching. I have some ???? Here is what I have so far.

Clean Sweep module with JL Audio 300/4 amp. There is something plugged into the "AUX in" on the CS. I can't find anything else for the life of me. Unfamiliar w/ satalite, could it be an that? Maybe the PO took whatever HU it was, but don't know why something is still plugged in.

Front doors have Focal seperates with Dynamat. Rear doors look stock w/ stock speakers.

There is the factory sub under the seat, but it was unplugged. Don't know if that is because the PO didn't like it, or it just got unplugger. The gain is at 1:00.

I have no idea how all this was setup. I have nothing else from the PO. I only know about Clean Sweep from reading here. I am unfamiliar with them. So I am finding out I have a decent setup, but obviously want to get the most out of it. What do I do???

How could I "finish" the system? Would it be worth it to replace the rears and Dynamat the doors? What about adding a sub to this setup? Any advice is most appriciated.

After reading I do know what a CS is for. As far as the Aux in, I just don't know where the PO would have plugged anything in.

After playing with it, now I know why the sub was unplugged. It goes by the HU volume. Maybe it would be a little better if I turned it down? I think a 10" sealed would do a better job. Any good ones?

Any advice for the rears, or don't worry about it?

Hey Powerman,

1. What a lot of people do is wire a cable to the CS and have the other, open end, tucked somewhere near the driver. So check the glovebox, center console, under the dash, etc for a small plug at the end of a wire or perhaps the plug is mounted somewhere. Look around the front of the passenger cabin.

2. 1:00 is a reasonable gain tuning setting (x-over setting?), just don't abuse the volume to badly (keep it below say 30 for now)

3. As for additions, yes it would be beneficial to replace the rear speakers and throw down some deadening material and, yes a sub would also be cool.

Rears: either match what you got up front (focals are nice), go with a descent other pair of coaxs (pioneer maybe), and deaden the door.

Sub: JL Audio 10w6v2 (or 10w7v2) and the JL 500/1 amp will give you all the bass you need and more. If that is too pricey then any of JLs other subs will perform beautifully as well.

If you have to choose only one upgrade, I'd go with the sub (you can always tune down the rears until your get a better set).

4. Factory sub, leave it alone if you are planning to upgrade.

Pictures are worth 1000 words..................

Hope that helps.

^^^ That does help. I looked up those subs. Are Infinity Basslinks any good. They are nice package, but are they any good?

I won't be able to use the factory sub as intended with the CS since the sub comes off the HU. When I set the HU volume and turn down the CS, the sub is still playing.

So how do I know how the Clean Sweep is set up? I don't have a calibration CD. And I don't know what volume to set the HU on if I want to unplug the sub and use the CS volume.

How do I run an aftermarket sub with this setup? Does the CS have a line out?

When I said "leave it alone", I meant "leave it disconneted" (sorry).

The JL (w6 & w7) and, the Infiniti basslink are in two different leagues, hence the price difference.

If you are looking for a powered sub (internal amp) that will give some nice light bass, then the Infinity Basslinks I or II will do that for you (not really boomin' though). The BL II is obviously going to be more powerful than the I.

or

You could get a JL sub (w1v2) and descent amp for roughly the price of the BL II and it would sound alot better (IMHO).

As for the cleansweep, I'm not all that familiar so I can't help much there. What I can tell you is check out this manual (below) for some answers about hook-ups, and contact JL or go to your local JL dealer and I'm sure you can get a CD (even just for the minute it takes to tune the CS).

CS Manual:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/CleanSweep_2006.pdf

Thanks for the suggestions. I was going to look up my local JL dealer tomorrow.

As far as a sub woofer, I do want tight light accurate bass. I don't want boomy, rattling, farty bass. I realize the Basslink is marginal, but was wondering if it sounded any good. I would like a smaller lower powered sub over a cheap ass crappy dual 15". That is my thinking behind the 10" sealed.

I realize why you said to go for the sub upgrade. However if I got a quality pair of 6.5" coaxs and did some sound proofing in the rear, that would at least fill in a little more bottom end right?

It would.......a bit, but you would probably be left wanting. The rear replacement and deadening would cost roughly the same installed, as the BL I (w/o actual install +$75). The rears would likely be maxed-out in order to satisfy, where the sub would have a lot of play room to achieve your desired sound.

If you are looking to fill in the low end, stick with the factory rears and go with the BL I. It'll do you right.

Hope that helps.

Well just an update. I decided to Dynamat the rear doors and put in Focal coaxials to match the fronts. Went with a JL 10W3V34 and a JBL GTO 301.1 in a sealed box. It rocks and really made the rest of the setup come alive. I was afraid of getting too much bass cause the wife doesn't care about such things. (got a bass volume control too for just that reason) It is very clean and tight and just what I wanted. I hate base that is bloated and completely detached from the music. Definitely not the case with what I got. I have to finish dynamating the trunk now. Thanks for the help.

Archived