LegacyGT.com

2008 legacy gt trunk lid keeps popping when putting key in ignition.

Bought an 08 legacy gt recently. Weird thing keeps happening.

When I unlock the car( being sure of the button I click) opens the car. I get in, put key in ignition and the trunk pops open automatically. Thought I was bumping it but keeps happening. No idea why? I google searched it with no luck.

Anyone familiar with this? It doesn't happen every time but more than half the time it seems.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

It's not every other time. Probably more like 75% of the time or more. No I haven't found it already popped ever. Only when I unlock the car and get in. I opened up the key and everything looks fine inside.

Car came from near me in MA. Don't know the previous owner.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

My first thought was maybe the car had been in water, but with both the trunk popping and now the alarm going off it seems more like a problem with the key than the car.

Do you have a valet key? If not, take the battery for the remote out of the key or the whole remote piece (I assume the transponder is built into the plastic housing, not the remote itself) and see if that helps.

Maybe you just need to replace the battery, they can do weird things when they drain.

My first thought was maybe the car had been in water, but with both the trunk popping and now the alarm going off it seems more like a problem with the key than the car.

Do you have a valet key? If not, take the battery for the remote out of the key or the whole remote piece (I assume the transponder is built into the plastic housing, not the remote itself) and see if that helps.

Maybe you just need to replace the battery, they can do weird things when they drain.

I'm kind of thinking may this is what you need to do...^

How old is the cars battery BTW ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok cool. I'll try replacing the battery. I did take the key apart once this started happening and everything looked good inside. No gunk or anything like that

The car battery I just replaced day after I bought the car since it lost its charge really quickly and appeared to be original battery. Had a lot of corrosion on it as well.

Could replacing the battery some how blow a fuse that could do these kinds of things?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

I just unlocked the door with just the key and not the remote. When I got in the car it popped the trunk.. Would think its not the remote then if I didn't even push a button.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Can't see what else would trigger it. Happened when I manually unlocked doors with a key and not remote so don't see how the remote would be doing it. Could be a light triggering it that turns on as well when the door opens.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Yeah seems either door can trigger it, if that's what it is. Had a friend open passenger side while I waited and it triggered the trunk. It does do it with remote as well. However it is not every time. Only about 75% of the time. Hadn't set the panic off for a little bit now though.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Yeah must be something going on in there! What's weird is it didn't do it at all when test driving the car multiple times. Can't remember if it did anything before I replaced the battery either.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Unhook the battery and leave it for a while. Then hook it back up and see if THAT helps. My next step would be to try another battery.

This is a very strange issue.

Check for the remote start and then check to see if maybe the previous owner stashed the other key somewhere in the dash - so the remote starter would work. Maybe the other key is interfering somehow and maybe because of the new battery. I'm just grasping at straws now.

I briefly looked around under the dash with a flashlight and I can't see any obvious signs of something wired in. Checked the fusebox as well and didn't see anything.

I haven't had a chance to disconnect the battery yet.

I do have a little button thing on the passenger side of the dashboard. Any idea what this is? Not sure if it's factory or added.

Also do all the cars have an alarm system or anything? I know when I lock or unlock the car a security icon on the dash lights up.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/ryangreene555/S2000%20pictures/C2A79393-D030-4FB9-AAC4-D1E072403F19-3606-0000017BE47318F5.jpg

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

That's factory. It's a solar sensor for the climate control system.

It has an alarm - the horn honkin' kind - that will go off if the doors are opened without unlocking from the outside and it also has an impact sensor that can set the alarm off.

Which got me thinking, maybe if you aren't unlocking the all the doors on the car, perhaps the panic alarm you are hearing is the alarm going off because the trunk opened without unlocking.

That leads me away from the key again. You may want to consider disconnecting the electric trunk release if it persists.

Ok from doing some more testing it seems like the trunk pops as soon as I sit down on the seat. I tried it about 10 times and 9 times as soon as I sat down the trunk popped. I waited different lengths of time each time and the trunk popped. I left the key outside of the car and the door opened.

Each time within 1-2 seconds of sitting down on the seat the trunk would pop.

I'm guessing there is some sort of wiring for the airbag sensor even in the drivers seat? Must somehow have some wiring connected where it shouldn't be I guess.

Any suggestions based on my new possible findings for how it is happening.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Good gracious.

Is it the seat or is it where you put your feet? Try doing it with the keys in the house.

You're gonna be chasing this for a while, methinks.

You need to get the wiring schematics showing the trunk release wires and keep a good pair of wire cutters handy.

Archived