LegacyGT.com

I've decided to get Tokicos and STi pinks for my wagon. Any last thoughts?

pdw

First off, my car is stock except for 225/45-17 Michelin Exalto PE2's.

my goal: I want more control, flatter cornering and less bounce out of my car. A sport suspensioned Audi or Beemer (but not an M) is my benchmark.

what I don't want: I don't want to lower it much (15mm or so is ok) or make the ride too stiff for my wife and 16mo old daughter. I also don't want coilovers and I'd like the dampers to last. I'd like to avoid losing too much suspension travel also but maybe that's unavoidable.

Additionally, I'm going to get the JDM RSB.

Would I be better off trying to hunt down some Bilsteins? I've been trying to find some with no luck. Tokico's rep seems to vary quite a bit.

I posted a somewhat similar question before and sorry for the ~repost. There's a lot of disparate info out there on suspensions for this car and it's tough to boil it all down. Thanks.

I think you'll be alright with Tokicos.

I just got the Bilsteins I'll be selling. I'll post info tonight. You pmed me before. So you have "pre-dibs". Although there were few other people, so I need to check pm box who was first... :lol:

I've been very happy with the KW V2 coilovers. I know you aren't looking at coilovers as an option, but it's worth a consideration. Adjustable ride height & damping. Uses the stock top hats for a quiet ride. On the lower damping settings, most people have no idea that it isn't a stock suspension. Cornering is flat and smooth.

As it stands now, you'll need to buy front JDM tophats for the Tokico's to fit right. I'd wait for them to put out a proper fitment unless you want to spend an extra $200 ish on parts.

I think your best bet right now is the Bilstein's. I read nothing but good things about them, and OEM is very too far wrong.

Thanks JuxtaGT

Currently, JCSpeed is telling the Tokicos with JDM Tophats for $590 which seems like a great deal. I live near Boston and that's part of why I don't want coilovers. If I lived in a place where rust isn't an issue, I'd reconsider.

I do agree with you about OEM.

$590 with top hats does seem like a good deal, gonna be hard to beat that.

^ What Boostjunkie said, +1. I would put money on my coilovers lasting a very long time, including many runs to Tahoe. Stainless steel with unique process. I trust the Germans to make an excellent product, check out website:http://kw-suspension.com/en/20_Technology/20_Salt_Spray_Test/index.php

my goal: I want more control, flatter cornering and less bounce out of my car. A sport suspensioned Audi or Beemer (but not an M) is my benchmark.

You may want to consider upgrading both front and rear sways if flat cornering is a primary goal. It's my understanding that the JDM RSB helps reduce understeer, but doesn't change the front end's cornering dynamics.

FWIW, I've also decided to go with the tokico's and JDM tophats from JSC. I'll be using the Ion springs as the extra drop is not a problem for me and I've been extremely happy with their performance thus far.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Ha, I think fweasel was before you pdw, but now you have first pre-dibs indeed!

I'll shortly take pics and post the info about the set I have for sale.

You may want to consider upgrading both front and rear sways if flat cornering is a primary goal. It's my understanding that the JDM RSB helps reduce understeer, but doesn't change the front end's cornering dynamics.

FWIW, I've also decided to go with the tokico's and JDM tophats from JSC. I'll be using the Ion springs as the extra drop is not a problem for me and I've been extremely happy with their performance thus far.

I think for your situation you have a very good selection of parts. I don't think you will want to get a FSB, as the JDM one works perfect with our OEM FSB. If you get a bigger then JDM RSB then yes I would get a different FSB.

The RSB will cause the whole car to roll less, and it will cause slightly less rear traction, to be more then made up with increased front traction, realy nice daily driver/aggressive on occasion ride that is not quite as hard as a BMW M.

The tokicos should also be a nice match seeing as you can adj them a bit to your liking.

Good luck!

Also, you may want to consider an extra rear spring seat to get the look just perfect.

Also, you may want to consider an extra rear spring seat to get the look just perfect.

I think the car looks perfect with the regular Ion's as is. Not sure what all the hype about the rear wheel well being a little shallower is all about. Personal preference I guess.

ignore him, he'll go away.

i'm waiting for the koni inserts. konis are a very popular option for the impreza croud. there's even more than a few STi owners who replaced the sti inverted struts with the koni sport inserts to improve the ride quality. i suspect they'll be a perfect match for the pinks (and just about every other spring option) and they'll likely perform as well as bilsteins for less.

i'm waiting for the koni inserts. konis are a very popular option for the impreza croud. there's even more than a few STi owners who replaced the sti inverted struts with the koni sport inserts to improve the ride quality. i suspect they'll be a perfect match for the pinks (and just about every other spring option) and they'll likely perform as well as bilsteins for less.

rem870's wagon is a test mule for the konis. drove the car, and even with stock springs it feels great. composed, but not harsh - he has it set just a little past the softest setting. i always liked koni struts, and used them on a bunch of other cars in the past. they would be my choice as well, just depends on how much they will be...

fwiw, I've had bilsteins (rev.A) and pinks and now have tokikos and pinks. I like the tokikos better. the RevA bilsteins were a bit harsher on bad roads. ymmv with different varient bilsteins. the bilsteins are a much beefier strut compared to the tokikos, and I haven't put many miles on the tokikos yet, so I haven't posted a detailed review.

I also tracked the bilstein/pink setup once (and have the JDM rear sway); they were awesome on the track. but daily city driving was a bit hard -- very subjective of course. I have the tokikos at 2 turns from full hard and it feels pretty similar to the bilsteins, which is great bc if I ever track the car again I can set em even firmer. I will probably adjust the settings again just to keep experimenting.

other thoughts: definitely get the jdm tophats with both tokikos and jdm bilsteins. IMHO, the jdm rear sway is fine for general use. I cd rotate the car with lift-throttle on the track, but it wdn't snap around either.

if i were to do it all over agian, i'd be real interested in the ions instead of the pinks - if only bc they are progressive and may give you a little more comfort for every day usage.

my 2cents

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

fwiw, I've had bilsteins (rev.A) and pinks and now have tokikos and pinks. I like the tokikos better. the RevA bilsteins were a bit harsher on bad roads. ymmv with different varient bilsteins. the bilsteins are a much beefier strut compared to the tokikos, and I haven't put many miles on the tokikos yet, so I haven't posted a detailed review.

I also tracked the bilstein/pink setup once (and have the JDM rear sway); they were awesome on the track. but daily city driving was a bit hard -- very subjective of course. I have the tokikos at 2 turns from full hard and it feels pretty similar to the bilsteins, which is great bc if I ever track the car again I can set em even firmer. I will probably adjust the settings again just to keep experimenting.

other thoughts: definitely get the jdm tophats with both tokikos and jdm bilsteins. IMHO, the jdm rear sway is fine for general use. I cd rotate the car with lift-throttle on the track, but it wdn't snap around either.

if i were to do it all over agian, i'd be real interested in the ions instead of the pinks - if only bc they are progressive and may give you a little more comfort for every day usage.

my 2cents

Which Bilsteins did you have, JDM Spec B or JDM GT?

Will USDM SpecB Bilstein+GT Pinks = Tockico+GT Pinks in terms of ride height?

It will be very close.

When I got the Bilstein specific front springs from iON, Jack there said that the ride height difference would be (compared to their regular springs) 16-22 mm lower depending on which rev of Bilsteins I had.

The struts are pressurized and push the car up a bit (I think) so maybe there would be a slight differnce, but it would be very slight.

Archived