LegacyGT.com

Bucking, power loss, hesitation between 2500 and 3500 RPM.

New user here. I have been lurking on the forum for months now trying to figure my issue out.

I have a 1996 2.2 Legacy in a 1987 Syncro Vanagon. My family and I took it 17,000 miles across the country with no issues whatsoever. The engine is strong. Back in March we were headed to Sedona from Phoenix and felt the "fishbite": A one time sudden buck/hesitation/loss of power/misfire. Since then it has gotten progressively worse and I am about to commit myself to the ward...

Description of events:

- Start van cold. Idle goes up to 2000 and settles down to about 700. Pretty normal.

- Drive the van on my test loop in Durango (6500 ft). We get up to operating temperature maybe a bit hotter. In my case 179 is average. Once we start heading up a slight hill at 60-65mph it will happen once. The fishbite/hesitation/stutter/misfire. NO CODES.

- From this point it will wildly buck at 3500rpm in 3rd gear, and between 2500 and 3500 rpm in 2nd/3rd. It rarely does it in 4th at lower rpms. Power loss. Never a corresponding drop in RPMs

- If I stop the idle goes right down to 700 but will vary and is rough ~100rpms above and below.

- Seems to do it most on hills, high torque/load situations. after warming up

- No loss of RPMS.

I know throwing sensors at the problem is the wrong way to go about it, but literally every symptom of a sesnor going bad were my symptoms.

I have done the following:

Fuel

new fuel pump

new fuel filter

swapped fuel pressure regulator

cleaned injectors professionally

ethanol free fuel

checked fuel pressure

new EGR

Air

cleaned air filter

new MAF

new cat and muffler - needed anyway

new exhaust header - needed anyway

new IAC

swapped TPS

cleaned throttle body

New PCV

Ignition

new plugs 2x platinum bosch gapped to .044

new wires - probably could have gotten better wires

swapped ignition coil and put a new one on

swapped ignitor

swapped ignition relay

sensor/computer

swapped ecu

2 new OEM bosch o2 sensors

new cam position sensor

new crankshaft angle/position sensor

new knock sensor

new MAF

new coolant temp sensor

checked compression

check all vacuum hoses

I am seriously at the end of my options other than tearing it all the way down and looking at every wire of the wiring harness. Unless some of you wonderful people have some bright ideas. Im out of them. Thanks for you help.

Marc

I had the exact same problem, and im confident it could be your problem too. Take off your timing covers and check the timing marks, mine is a manual and it was missing that timing guide that goes above the crank gear. that was causing it to skip only on the crank gear when shifting. please get back to me as you are having the same problems I did.

• 8 months later...

Archived