LegacyGT.com

Cylinder misfires or bad injectors, please post here.

what

Good idea to change coil pack or swap with another cylinder.

Can you log misfires with an AP or anything?

Here is the coil pack connector. You can buy them here on eBay or go to outfrontmotorsports website

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=300843950050

You can actually change the plastic portion by popping the pins out oif the existing one.

I have done it and its real easy

You need yo log yo see what is going on. Could be OCV with the idling issues.

Edited by Scooby2.5

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We did a lot of logging and no cylinder misfires popped up at all and we spent probly 30 minutes driving around while he logged different things. We were using RR because I dont have AP but if RR didnt see misfires AP wouldnt either.

I will order one of those connectors that just made my life easier, thank you.

what is OCV, oil control valve?

To remove the plastic connector you pull the yellow tab out. Then you take a pick of some sort and there is a tiny tab you push in and then pull on the wire.

It will pull right out and just snap them back into the new connector, then snap the yellow tab back in.

That way you dont have to even change the pins :)

Log your AVCS left and right banks. If they are not linear together and are all wacky change the Oil control valves.

I think I posted in this thread about them. If not look up philT thread on the OCV and read that thread.

Not sure how many miles on your car but I have replaced these at around 80k and now again at 203k

Got a connector ordered, thanks for the help. I have right at 138k on it so it may be about that time to replace the ocv. I'll talk with my tuner and see if he was looking at that yesterday or not. As for now, I'll be playing the waiting game for these dang parts.

My tuner got back with me and told me he did look at the AVCS and everything looked perfectly normal. He said he looked over everything and the only thing he saw was that when it started bucking in that "sweet spot" it was hitting very lean spots which is what told him it was a misfire not being detected by the car.

I believe I found my issue, I found a hole in my factory turbo inlet hose right at the clamp on the turbo. It looks like someone over tightened it quite a bit but I never noticed because Ive never had it off. I ordered an AVO one so hopefully this resolves my issue.

Good luck putting the AVO one on without removing the intake manifold.

It is very large and not an easy task.

I chose to go with the Perrin because it is smaller and much more easy to install with the intake still on the car.

Even with the Perrin It's still not the easiest thing to do especially if you have an aftermarket turbo

Good point. I'm right at the decide point on what I'm going to use to replace my stock (147K) turbo inlet hose - that info will help.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

And I'm back in the thread again...

Last year was misfires on all 4, messy but driveable, one shop diagnosed it as the turbo wastegate sticking and wanted to replace the turbo, I replaced the spark plugs and it ran fine.

Until now.

Overboosted and got that cel, then a cylinder 1 & cylinder 3 misfire. Cleared it, and #3 continued to misfire, sometimes just running rough but not enough to trigger the cel, sometimes enough to trigger the cel then good enough to clear it. It then moved to misfiring so much it was more of a not-firing issue. Faint gas smell at the engine, particularly on that bank. Nothing like fuel spraying everywhere or anything that dramatic though.

I suspect injectors, maybe something leading up to that in the fuel delivery department, but will be investigating all the usual, and cheaper, suspects first.

Good luck putting the AVO one on without removing the intake manifold.

It is very large and not an easy task.

I chose to go with the Perrin because it is smaller and much more easy to install with the intake still on the car.

Even with the Perrin It's still not the easiest thing to do especially if you have an aftermarket turbo

I was having a lot of trouble getting all of the spaghetti off of the inlet so I ended up taking the intake manifold off enough to be able lift it up some to make my life a little easier anyways so im not too worried about fitment.

have misfires on 1 & 3

turned out to be air leak at the TGV delete

the JB weld blew out

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

fingers crossed, no noises when it ran with the MAF unplugged

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

^Simple fix on the wiring harness......

Pull the yellow tab on the connector plastic. Pop the pins out and insert them in the new plastic and then reinsert yellow tab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Ignition-Coil-Wire-Harness-Terminal-Plug-Set-Impreza-WRX-STi-Connector-/300843950050?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item460bb25fe2&vxp=mtr

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2006 Legacy wagon, 2.5 automatic, BP, EJ25. I got a blinking CEL, error P0304, compression 0 psi in cylinder 4. The others cylinders do 165, 170 and 190 psi.

The error came as I was driving up a long hill and I stopped in less than 2 km. There are no weird noises and the engine did not over heat.

Subaru dealership gives me two options:

A. replace motor

B. open the engine and diagnose further.

They say option A is min $2K, option B starts at $500-for labor alone, plus parts, depending on what's damaged.

The car has only 54k miles, never towed anything, and was always maintained on schedule (I am the original owner), never driven in extreme conditions.

First I took it to a nearby service for spark plug replacement, but only after they put new spark plugs told me how serious it is and I towed the car to Subaru.

Questions:

1. are there other ways to assess the damage without opening the engine? i.e snake-camera, etc.

2. is there any chance that the first dealer damaged my engine by not getting the correct firing sequence after they replaced the spark plugs?

Other sources indicate that is very unlikely but just wanted to make sure.

3. is it worth to go at the first service and ask for some money back since they didn't diagnose the problem correctly and charged me to replace spark-plugs?

Many thanks.

Where do you live ? may be one of knowsa better shop.

I would not take a 2006 back to the dealership. they have higher rates than a small shop.

If you have o compression. you need to open up the engine and or just suck it up and buy a short block.

You may get lucky and find a used engine...but you never know what your getting.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm in Vancouver, BC.

The first shop suggested to start with the dealership as they may have factory recalls. No such luck.

I'll explore the short block option. Many thanks.

PM "Lafta" he's from your area, he may know some place.

You can tell him I sent you.

Max

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

hay guys. shot in the dark here. i have bought a 97 legacy gt (twin turbo ej20) and the guy i got it from says it has blown 3 coil packs in a row in number 1 cylinder sounds a little more serious than it should be. he did a plug change and fresh fuel after car sat for a couple years. the coil pack went dud as soon as he tried to start it. from what i have read on here and other forums it should be pretty straight forward. i have bought car unseen except for pictures and his description (rookie i know) just wondering what it could be really.

274349945.jpg.eebf8c4f3216f40c4c32b0004df7ffdd.jpg

thats what the coil packs look like. any help would be greatly helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a friend help me with compression test on my 05 LGT w/131k miles.

#'s seem very low but close to each other though.

119 psi on driver side cylinders

121 psi on passenger side cylinders.

Every once in a while I get check engine light and cruise light on. for Cyl 2 and 4 Misfires.

Should I try Intake manifold gaskets next? I already swapped coil packs around and still same cylinders having issues. My next things were either swap injectors or the o rings on the intake manifold.