LegacyGT.com

Steering rack schematics?

kha

Does anyone know where I could find a detailed schematics of the INSIDE of the steering rack? I'm trying to find out where the damping valve is and possibly remove it.

I've done a few things to improve the steering feel, and I think the root of the problem is the steering rack itself. So far, I've done avo caster offset LCA bushings, rather thick anti-roll bars front and back, and steering rack bushings, which I still felt was too soft, so I made my own "bushings" completely out of aluminum. The steering feel is improved by a few hundred percent, but I'm still not satisfied. It's still nowhere near, say, earlier Hondas or current Audis and BMWs.

So, my next task is to look inside the steering rack itself to do two things. 1) Remove the damping valve that is apparently filtering feedback from the wheels, and 2) Locate the valve that controls the assist and reduce the amount of assist. I think it's worth looking into, but I have yet to find the schematics of inside of the rack itself. If anyone knows where I can find one, that would help out a lot.

Archived