LegacyGT.com

car sitting for a while

Well its time for me to go fight our war. Im deploying on Monday for a while. My deployments are pretty short(77 days) and my car is going to sit in a secure lot. Will it be okay to sit that long? will i need to get a fuel stabilizer for it or anything?

If you have a friend that can drive it to keep the battery alive and make sure the tires don't sit one on particular part for very long, especially with the low profile tires.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Yes, do stay safe and thank you.

Not sure about the fuel stabilizer but your battery would sure appreciate being hooked up to a charger. I use battery tender for all my stuff that sits. Unlike a battery float charger, it is easier on the battery for it does not let the battery fluctuate. I have had good luck buying them on ebay.

http://www.batterytender.com/

if i do let the car sit for that period of time will it mess it up? i do not trust anyone to drive it...i mean its not super fast by all means but with a straight piped exhaust and the sound of the spool makes anyone wanna drive it fast lol

Disconnect the negative post on your battery, and hope it stays alive by the time you get back.

There isn't much to worry about besides the battery for that amount of time I believe.

Once again, your effort to serve is greatly appreciated.

Be cautious and return home safe.

thanks a lot for the support guys....im pretty fortunate. I'm not on the ground i fly for the USAF so ill be helping kill insurgents from 30,000 ft. And I say F it anyways. If my battery dies im going to get an optima battery for my car

FWIW, I broke my ankle and my car sat outside and didn't budge from Christmas until I could drive again starting in May. It started right up and it's the original battery. So I would expect you'll be just fine. Thanks to you and all those who protect us. May you come home safely!

thanks a lot for the support guys....im pretty fortunate. I'm not on the ground i fly for the USAF so ill be helping kill insurgents from 30,000 ft. And I say F it anyways. If my battery dies im going to get an optima battery for my car

My Daughter graduated from College yesterday. Was sworn in to the AF today.

Kick ass and take names.

oh i will! and again thank you all for the support! Ill be sure to take some deployment pics at 40,000 ft in the sky with a paper saying LEGACYGT.COM FTW! lol Plus im coming back with a nice chunk of change. Time to make the scooby faster

oh i will! and again thank you all for the support! Ill be sure to take some deployment pics at 40,000 ft in the sky with a paper saying LEGACYGT.COM FTW! lol Plus im coming back with a nice chunk of change. Time to make the scooby faster

that would be awesome! and thank you for fighting for our country!!!

Thank you for your service!

Ditto what the others have said: your car will be fine for 3 months, especially since it's not winter. I would disconnect the battery, but that may not even be necessary. fuel stabilizer is not needed, IMHO.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

First and most important, many thanks for your service and stay safe. Here's some advice that's common on the Boxster boards, where cars often sit for a while:

1. Overinflate the tires about 10lbs to avoid flat-spotting.

2. Fill your tank and add a gas stabilizer (I believe it's called Sta-bil and you can buy a small bottle off the shelf at Target and, I'm sure, most auto stores). Most of the guys use stabilizers for cars that sit the entire winter, so I'm not sure you absolutely need it. However, it can't hurt.

3. I would be surprised if your battery isn't totally dead when you return. I just put a new Die Hard in my Boxster and it was dead within two-and-a-half weeks because I didn't drive it. The conventional wisdom would call for a battery charger, but you don't have that luxury in a secure lot. You might try disconnecting the battery to avoid a drawdown of current, but that could open up a host of other issues when you re-connect it.

4. If you're in a hot area, put a sunshade over the dash and crack open the windows a notch.

Good luck!

If I were leaving it for a month plus, I would add a fuel stabilizer. I dont know crap about gas, but if I have to pay $.20 a gal more for premium, then I am sure the car would like the fuel stabilizer.

My guess is that your battery will die. If you park in a non-secure area and unplug your battery that would be you loose all alarm/security systems you may or may not have. If your battery dies, you loose the same.

Either way though, your car will be cool which is good bc I am sure it takes a lot of focus to hit targets that far in the air

well my car is tuned for the SPT intake that i have(even though im ditching it for a cobb intake) so i dont want to disconnect the battery for a long time. To my understanding if the battery is disconnected for too long wont the tune be reset when i got to connect the battery again?

I'm king of the long-termed parked LGT. Mine did one stint for 6 months, the other for 18 months. In both cases I didn't do anything special and had zero issues as a result. 2-3 months is nothing!

Put sunshades in the front & rear windows. Sun is your worst enemy when the car won't be moved for a long time.

My "downtime" was due to various mods & repairs. I was either out of time, money, or both so it took a while to get it where I wanted it. I also have a truck so I was in no hurry. As a plus, my 2005 has 19k miles :D

I recommend : Stabil in the fuel, car on jack stands, disconnect the battery. Thank you for your service. I've got a boy in the Army, he is back in the states after his latest deployment. So, believe me my thanks is from the heart.

don't have to disconnect if you put a small 12v solar panel on the dash like i've done to my other cars before. last time i used it was when i deployed for hurricane relief in New orleans few years ago. it worked fine for me. stabil is also reccomended

Archived