LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

Does anyone know what the composition of this high strength steel is? And how does it compare to other alloys?
Google

Here's a start...

http://www.boronextrication.com/2009/11/04/subaru-uhss-and-boron/

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda's high strength steel makes the hood flutter any time you get over 40 mph. :/

Difference between strength and flexibility.

A stronger material means that it can be thinner. But it can at the same time become more flexible. The BMW 3.0 CSL also suffered from hood flutter.

453747.png

Google

Here's a start...

It would appear from that link that Subaru is still using Ring within the Ring structural technology, but buttressing it even more than in previous platforms and using even more durable UHSS.

Looking at the link for the 2018 CrossTrek XV platform, which is an SGP version, you can see the differences between that and the 2002-2017 previous platform designs.

As previously mentioned, it's very believable that the Ascent platform, v-a-v the XV version, will just be more generous and specific about where and what is improved for this model line.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My hood on my LGT flutters a little bit when I get above 80, above 100 it seems to calm down, lol.

The odyssey is pretty solid up 90, never had it above that, and can't say I want to, but its remarkable stable given its size, weight, and high profile tires.

Google

Here's a start...

Doesn't really say anything about the metallurgy of the steel, but it's a start. This site (which was the first hit on a search for "ultra high strength steel") refers to something called AHSS (advanced high-strength steel), which is a high-strength low-alloy steel in the realm of 550 MPa or so yield strength. In terms of steel that's commonly commercially available in the US, that's probably going to be ASTM A656 Grade 80 (550 MPa = 79.8 ksi). That site says ultra high-strength steel starts at about 780 MPa yield (roughly 110 ksi), which puts you into the realm of something like a Domex 110XF. Weight isn't a concern on the vehicles I work with (unless we need to add ballast, which is common), so most of my experience is with plate steel rather than sheet, but ASTM A656 Grade 100 is usually the go-to way-overkill "nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure" steel alloy of choice. Dunno if I've ever come across anything made out of Domex, but that's some seriously strong stuff.

Worth noting, the thinnest I've been able to find any of these is 14ga, which is .0747" thick. Looking at that first cross-section, those are probably 12ga, 14ga, 16ga, and 20ga, so the body panels (which definitely aren't 14ga) are going to be something much more pedestrian (ASTM A572 Grade 50 or similar).

Just watched this video last night. Sound quality is not that great. But I think there are some nice little details that are given here about the car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGOQ25Ej_9c]2018 NAIAS Subaru Ascent Walkaround - YouTube[/ame]

Difference between strength and flexibility.

A stronger material means that it can be thinner. But it can at the same time become more flexible. The BMW 3.0 CSL also suffered from hood flutter.

Not sure its the same material, but we recently had a large door dent on our 2018 Outback rear passenger door. For $150 my buddies body shop removed the dent and you can no longer see any of it. He said something about one benefit of the newer cars, the metal is easy to work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Kind of figured this would be the case. In video you posted above, the product rep states that the Ascent is designed to make it's power down low, so I interpreted that to mean this engine was not a high-revver, but has a fat wide torque curve for take-off, and towing. It's also likely why MT in their review "wished" for more ooomp for passing.

Similar to the H-4 2.0TD, with gobs of torque down-low, but the H4 2.4DIT has more breathing room up-top for smoother high-speed cruising. Just not a lot of top-end.

I can't recall whether there has been any pics of an "active" speedo in the Ascent, but I'd be surprised if it registered over 120MPH.

I saw the max speed at 150 mph (not 160). And yeah, I also recall the Subaru rep saying that the car has been designed for torque instead of HP which makes total sense.

Still though, dual avcs engine. Somehow, I would think it could still rev high.

Also, saw in another video somebody showing a shot of the placard. I think I saw 6000lbs max load.

Here is the video I am talking about:

timestamp for cluster speedo and stuff: 0:59

placard: 4:08

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdk4uOPXI6c]First Look!! 2019 Subaru Ascent Touring - YouTube[/ame]

ascentplacard.png.681ddc633c3c60a0f595175bd808f973.png

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Can anyone confirm the Tribeca wheels were 5x114.3 18"x8J?

I had expected at least an 8" rim on the Ascent, but from the MFR's label, it appears that the 20" wheels are 20x7.5J also in 5x114.3 I'd presume since the WRX and Legacy chassis are all now that PCD. Could just be pre-production sizing, but could also be the production size as well.

MFR's label indicates GVWR = 6,000 lbs so 1,700 of occupant and internal cargo. (6,000 GVWR - 4,300 vehicle weight). So with a tow weight of 5,000 lbs, you're looking at 11,000 lbs GCVWR. :eek:

Edited by SBT

So I recently saw the Ascent at an auto show and it was overall decent (3rd row had decent room) but then I sat in the Mazda CX-9 and that made the Ascent seem like a Lada, in comparision to the Mazda.

The CX-9 dash, interior was sleek and the seats were soft and comfier cushions. It impressed me to the point that it felt like an Audi. 3rd row in the CX9 was a little less wide than the ascent and less head room too but much better seating surface and cushioning.

The one thing that really makes the case for the ascent is the Eyesight system and its benefits.

I really would like you folks, opinion on the Mazda's AWD system keeping in mind I am in Dallas and we wont see bad weather as frequently as when we were in MN.

Edited by twisted

Can anyone confirm the Tribeca wheels were 5x114.3 18"x8J?

I had expected at least an 8" rim on the Ascent, but from the MFR's label, it appears that the 20" wheels are 20x7.5J also in 5x114.3 I'd presume since the WRX and Legacy chassis are all now that PCD. Could just be pre-production sizing, but could also be the production size as well.

MFR's label indicates GVWR = 6,000 lbs so 1,700 of occupant and internal cargo. (6,000 GVWR - 4,300 vehicle weight). So with a tow weight of 5,000 lbs, you're looking at 11,000 lbs GCVWR. :eek:

http://www.cars101.com/tribeca.html

and https://www.wheel-size.com/

I haven’t had a chance to check out the Ascent but I agree the Mazda CX-9 is way better when it comes to interior quality, rear view camera and sky activ, the only down side on the Mazda is the horsepower, Mazda rides nice, just feel such a car at that size should push at least 300HP considering the amount of passengers that would be riding it.

I haven’t had a chance to check out the Ascent but I agree the Mazda CX-9 is way better when it comes to interior quality, rear view camera and sky activ, the only down side on the Mazda is the horsepower, Mazda rides nice, just feel such a car at that size should push at least 300HP considering the amount of passengers that would be riding it.

huh. just checked the specs of that Mazda. 310 lb-ft of torque. About the same weight as the Ascent. Similar pricing. 0.1" more ground clearance :rolleyes: and less towing capacity (3500 lbs). Motortrend should do a head 2 head with these two.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/features--specs/2018/cx-9/2018-mazda-cx-9-features-specs.pdf

Doesn't the Ascent has more electronics for the AWD too though? Probably not as much as the Mazda, but more than our 05 LGT/OBXT..

I guess the only one that I can think of is torque vectoring (not sure if it has it actually) and the use of brakes in order to stop a wheel from spinning when offroading for instance.

Also it's only making 250hp on 17.4psi and high compression (10.5:1)? Our GT's have been doing that 15 years ago on less boost and less compression :lol:

Doesn't the Ascent has more electronics for the AWD too though? Probably not as much as the Mazda, but more than our 05 LGT/OBXT..

AWD it self will be mechanical, but traction control/stability control is gonna be electronic. Also it probably wont have mechanical LSD's, instead it will rely on stability control to do that (by braking the individual wheels), which is no different then the 2010+ Subaru's anyway.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Talked to the local Subaru retailer and they are taking orders now, and their entire allotment is already sold. They expect the vehicles to roll-in in July.

These are well-equipped vehicles with Standard (read: built-integrated) Symetrical AWD. Not one competitor can say that. All of them start life as TVM FWD platforms and add-on AWD as an option package.

On-balance, literally, the Ascent is going to just feel more naturally "balanced" than a vehicle which has to be reconfigured and added-to to get it to AWD status.

Depending on the sales expectations, these manufacturers may very well bias their engineering and construction toward the TVM FWD end of the production spectrum giving the "rear" componentry. an also-ran lick and a promise. Good, but only good enough to get everything mounted-up and hung at the rear and able to be called AWD.

Guess I've been with Subarus for so long I really do see the wisdom of their wholeistic end-2-end engineering. And I don't enjoy torque steer from a TVM AWD vehicle, or consider it fun and/or inspiring on any level, especially in take-off, steering under power and cornering.

Have some info from the dealer. Will try to get it posted up.

Most of the AWD nannies for the newer Subarus are in the ecm/tcm they mostly still use the wheel speed sensors that probably haven't been changed since the early 2000s. And of course some better YAW and roll sensors mounted in the vehicle, but those would also be used in the rollover prevention and airbag system.

So...no the Subaru really doesn't have that much more sensors than your 2005 legacy it just has an ecm with more computing power, better resolution, and more data tables.

And FWIW the Tribeca tires are massively oversized and unstable at high speed. Maybe those 20s won't be fetching a premium in the aftermarket after all, lol.

The LGT and the OBXT have rear VLSD which will get you traction with a rear wheel off-ground, unlike the Torsen rear which won't. Front, not so much.

One of the benefits of the STI 6MT conversion over the Spec B 6MT, is that front diff and the DCCD ;). I'm hoping to put a SureTrac FLSD in Subenwagen.

I'm fairly certain that Ascent has no LSDs, only TC to bind the wheel that's slipping on each axle. Wondering if this is also what Ascent uses for hill descent?

I've not experienced that before in a Subaru - that, being side-to-side shifting of torque controlled by braking force, front and rear, but my friend in NW PA says that it seems to work fine on his '12 Outback, and he gets a lot of snow and ice. Downside is that it wears the pads out faster.

Yeah. When I worked on my transmission a few months back, I was starring at that front diff and contemplating swapping it. But the swap was $$$.

I remember once in Norway during winter, I was goofing around and purposely got the passenger side tires on fairly deep snow while the driver side was still on nicely packed snow. Car stopped moving!! Shame. And I am fairly certain the car was not on its belly. Had to back up and get out of it. That was with proper winter tires too.

That's when I slowly realized the limitation of our AWD system; that kind of situation and the one wheel off the ground case. Other than that, it's awesome.