LegacyGT.com

Windshield Replacment

Ladies and Gents - picked up a small crack on my windshield that has now grown to be a ticket waiting to happen.

I refused to replace my windshield as I know as soon as I replace it a rock will chip and crack the new one.

At any rate - anyone had this done? My concern is the home link/compass mirror and getting everything back in order once a new windshield is installed. If I'm not mistaken the LGT Limited has a heated windshield too.

I imagine this is pretty straight forward and I don't have much to worry about, but my parents raised me on stories of replacement windshields leaking, hissing (gaps in the seal), and defrost funking up.

Any input is welcome and I thank you kindly for taking a moment to put my fears to rest.

Cheers.

I had a crack in my windshield a couple years ago. I called Safelite to get a new one installed. They asked if I had the heated element on the windshield, I said yes. I also had the Compass and XM antenna mounted to the windshield. I watched him replace the windshield and he did a very good job. He removed the XM and Compass from the old windshield (double sided tape). Installed the new windshield and applied new tape to both. He even scraped my inspection sticker off and put it on the replacement windshield...normally they don't do that. All in all, took about 30 minutes, maybe less. Over 2 years now, no leaks or whistles. I would go with them again....luckly I had window replacement in my car insurance because it would have been expensive. Hope that helps you.

Safelight is coming today to replace my windshield. They quoted me 196$ on the website so I'm not gonna bother with insurance. This is the first time I've had to do it on my legacy. I used to have a mazdaspeed protege and I went through 4 windshields on that car due to the uber stiff suspension. Never had any problems with them leaking or anything tho. I'll let you know later on how this one went.

We've had both Subies' shields replaced. The only issue was, the Sedan first got a green tinted instead of blue. Since the cars were side-by-side, I pointed out the difference. They wanted me to wait a couple of days since the sealant is easier to remove after it is set up. The next change, they cut the edge of the pillar covering, so I made them replace that at their cost.

Both shields have the heater coils and now they aren't the bright red, which is fine with me.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I feeling more at ease with it. The website quoted me $260 so no need to involve insurance.

It does note green tint, but I assume I should ask them about the blue tint?

Safelite seemed expensive when I looked into them. What do they run now if you guys don't mind me asking?

I bought my 06 back in January of this year. windshield was cracked so the dealer put a new one in before I picked up the car. Within a week i caught a rock on the highway - it chipped the glass enough to start the spider web progression.

From the few accounts you guys just mentioned it seems subaru has less than impressive glass quality :icon_sad:

Insist on Subaru OEM glass if you want it to be the same.

I had mine replaced, the insurer only wanted to pay for the cheap third-party glass. So in went the cheap one. The blue tint was hardly visable and it was warped/rippled to crap and the moulding didn't fit right.

A week later, out it came and an OEM piece sourced through the dealer went in.

No warps, proper tint strip, moulding fit like it should.

Sorry for the delay...busy with school. Safelight banged that thing out in about an hour on Saturday with 2 guys. It's not the exact same piece of glass that was in the car but it's very very close. It has the heated wipers but there's no visible orange lines on the outside like the factory glass(doesn't matter to me). It has the blue strip at the top and the little black spotted stuff above the rearview mirror as well like the oem glass. It got a foot of snow dumped on it within about 12-16 hours after it was put in with no leaks. I've have it at 110-120 on the highway and no air leakage either. Total was $240, 196 for the glass, 20 for a new molding strip, and then tax. The glass tech said most of the time when you go to a dealer, they have safelight come in and replace the glass, and then charge you extra. lol. My glass was super pitted, so even if it hadn't broken, I prolly would have replaced it soon anyway. It's so nice having a new pit free window now :dm:

had mine done twice over the last couple of years....both times under insurance. they told me it was $1100! each time. glad i have full glass ins! it was the exact same windshield.

they did a great job both times no issues.... i used 'glass america'.

OkieSMokie, we have the SWP wagon that you seem to have, but it is nonlimited GT with the blue fabric seats, so the green tint wouldn't look right. The sedan is OBP GT with black leather interior, and I like the blue tint. The green just looked like school bus glass.

I am not impressed with Safelite.

The windshield installed by insurance looks like a fun house as its distorted. Also after a really cold day and using the windshield heater a crack started right at the windshield wiper heater and went straight across.

The good side is the guy was professional except prison like tattoo's on neck and work was clean and no leaks.

I am in the process of getting it replaced. I am hoping they will replace it at their cost instead of my deductible.

• 1 month later...

Talk about procrastination - I've got A+ Autoglass coming out tomorrow morning to replace my windshield. They quoted me $327.58 for the whole shabang. Seems steep compared to others, but after asking a few friends and reading some online reviews I chose to go with A+.

They said their glass is OEM, PPG/PGW if I remember correctly. I'll let you know how it goes.

The local Safelite outfit didn't get much love on reviews so I backed away from using them although the price was much better.

Windshield replaced two years ago (rock hit), State Farm insurance chose the company and paid. First job, the molding went crooked in a few months and State Farm then sent another company who did it right. Don't remember the companies names. Moral, let the insurance company get it fixed until it's right :-)

I've had windshields replaced in my last two subarus and my parents BOTH had a windshield replaced in each of their '09 and '11 Foresters. But we see a lot of cinders in the winter and they live on a gravel lane and drive a lot of back roads.

I went with Safelite most recently because my insurance backed them 100%. However a local company that pays for the Safelite Franchise name actually replaced mine. They did a wonderful job and used OEM PPG glass.

I don't think any particular National chain is better than the rest, as truly it comes down to the local owner and their pride in workmanship.

BTW I was told $600+ for my windshield...

The job is done and things are looking good - too good. The new windshield looks like it isn't there. Guess I grew accustomed to the pitted out mess of a windshield I had.

There is some slight scaring on the molding from installation, but other than that everything looks great. I'll give it another couple days to dry and then hit the drive through car wash to double check the seal.

• 2 months later...
I was about 5 car lengths behind a truck, and one lane to the left. Got tagged at the very edge of my passenger side in the middle (height). If it was any closer to the edge it would have hit the pillar. My car was barely a yr old. I parked at work. By lunchtime, the crack had made it's way 1/2 across the glass, about center dash. I had it replaced two days later. Crack was now 3/4 across. I got an OEM windshield from subaru... AAA tried to give me safelite, but it didn't come with the same tint or matrix dots. I have heated wipers. The safelight was $300. The OEM glass was $788. My comp deductable is $100, so they groveled, but paid the $688 to the dealer. In less than 60 days, I got hit again. Small divot drivers side eye level... you can't win. :lol:

I got a chip in mine a few weeks ago, but no cracking. Safelite is coming tomorrow to repair it. My insurance company told me they won't replace it unless the damage is larger than a dollar bill. It use to be that they would replace it if it were larger than a quarter! Anyone have experience with Safelite doing a repair? At least I don't have to pay for it, since glass coverage is "free"/included for everyone insured in MA.

• 3 weeks later...
Just had Safelite come and do my windshield this morning. The installer showed up right on time, and was very professional. I watched him do the whole thing, very clean install, cleaned up anything he got dirty. Also they sent a heated windshield even though my car didn't have one, so bonus for me. The wiring was there in the passenger a-pillar for him to plug the windshield into. From what I can tell all I need how is a relay and the switch. Anyways, would for sure go with Safelite again, professional, on time, and since I have $0 deductible glass, it was all free.

I got a chip in mine a few weeks ago, but no cracking. Safelite is coming tomorrow to repair it. My insurance company told me they won't replace it unless the damage is larger than a dollar bill. It use to be that they would replace it if it were larger than a quarter! Anyone have experience with Safelite doing a repair? At least I don't have to pay for it, since glass coverage is "free"/included for everyone insured in MA.

So give your windshield a few good wacks with the palm of your hand until the damage is bigger than a dollar bill lol

So give your windshield a few good wacks with the palm of your hand until the damage is bigger than a dollar bill lol

I considered doing that, and telling them that it got worse over the week, but decided against it.

An update on the wonderful Safelite company. Our replacement from them that horridly distorted cracked at the heating element. Changed under warranty.

Now the (2nd!) replacement has a stress crack the originates from edge(under rubber molding) of windshield with no apparent hit. Maybe a burr left during installation. They are coming back with windshield and likely will replace under warranty.

Archived