LegacyGT.com

Instrument Cluster Issue in 08 Legacy SE

I have an interesting problem. I recently purchased my first Subaru (2008 legacy SE) 30k miles. After having the car a few days I began noticing some issues with the instrument cluster. The blue temperature indicator light stays on and the Si drive display flashes the . After some research I have discovered that the car has the GT version of the instrument cluster. My car is not a GT and does not have Si drive. It should not have this cluster. My guess is the previous owner removed the original instrument cluster and installed the 2008 GT cluster. I have a few questions.

1. Could this affect performance of the car? Performance seems perfect right now.

2. If I wanted to put the original instrument cluster (style) back in, would i have to have it reprogrammed? What would happen with the odometer?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Someone in the parts department probably messed up when ordering the cluster for your car. Check to see where the cluster was replaced. If it was replaced by the original owner which I doubt then they may have done something sketchy. If it were by the dealer then the mileage is probably right but the cluster was ordered incorrectly most likely and they should replace for you free of charge. As far as performance their is no issue. It will most likely have to be reprogrammed. Those lights are on and illuminating as a default because there are no input signals being that your car isnt equipped with those systems

I will post a picture. Sahr..., you are spot on with your post. After some digging, I have discovered that the part was ordered and put in the car by the dealership just prior to when I bought the car. They have offerred to correct the problem. However, I am not sure I want the original cluster, I like some of the upgraded features on this cluster. As long as it is programmed correctly (which they have assured me it is), do any of you experts see any issues with keeping it?

Thanks

If you don't mind the lights being on all the time. It may also be an issue if you ever sell the car to a private party or try to trade it in. If you keep it make suer that you have a record from the dealership as being replaced.

GL

X

---

I have had the car a few weeks and hardly notice the light (blue light) anymore. At this point I am not inclined to disassemble the dash and take out the cluster. If it gets to a point to where I can not longer handle the light, I will have the original cluster put in. I got the dealership to go ahead and order the part for me and they will give it to me. If I want it put in, they will do it for free. Thanks for all of the tips and advice.

I don't think you have to worry about the odometer - that information should come from the computer itself. I know on at least a late 90's+ GM cars you can swap them and the new cluster will automatically update itself with the correct mileage once you turn it on. Even with an analog odometer. Surely Subaru's do a similar thing.

Hey LegacyTX when you swap it back to regular gauges can I have the gt guages? PM me please.

Question for you guys does the subaru dealer do the reprogramming of the milage or is it the dmv or something. Because I heard different stories from 2 different subaru dealers

fyi, if it is similar to the 05s, the cluster is very easy to take off. Maybe 4-5 screws max.

I just did mine on my car and it is not similar to the 05s its actaully 7-8 screws (it was liek 5 for the guages and 3 for the cluster glass) and very hard to take out it took me 1 hour mainly because some of them screws are really hard to get to. So many things to remove and I basically had to open and remove some parts on the steering column. i still have one screw out and have no idea where that one goes back into.

then the mileage guage doesnt work haha

Well he said they were LEDs so I imagined light bulbs. Turns out its in the LCD. LCDs are very different than LEDs haha. Anyhow, I have no idea as I don't have an si drive car.

I just did mine on my car and it is not similar to the 05s its actaully 7-8 screws (it was liek 5 for the guages and 3 for the cluster glass) and very hard to take out it took me 1 hour mainly because some of them screws are really hard to get to. So many things to remove and I basically had to open and remove some parts on the steering column. i still have one screw out and have no idea where that one goes back into.

interesting. I know for us (05s), we have to take out the plastic undercover (above our feet) first which consists of a few popits; then a couple screws to take out the plastic cover around the steering column, and then 3 screws (I think) for the actual instrument cluster. Not too bad.

Here is how part of the 05 instrument cluster looks like inside:

tampered.png.6e21afe7e6987334bf50f7302a06bcfa.png

Archived