LegacyGT.com

What do you think? Yai or Nai

I'm looking to buy a car and this beautiful thing popped up:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3844903316.html

I owned a 2007 LGT about a year ago and absolutely loved it. I know that for 10 guys reading this thread right now, 9 of you know a lot about Subaru's. I'm a bit rusty with Subaru's and need your help guys (and girls wherever you are).

My main concern is, I got two more years of my undergrad and want to make sure it lasts that long. I probably drive about 18k per year and I do take care of my cars and drive them correctly.

What would you think would be a good price to offer the guy?

What should I ask/check for?

Are there any of you selling your car for under 12k?

Thank you!!!

Sincerely,

Wanna be Subaru owner (hopefully the 'wanna be' gets deleted and forgotten)

I was planning on having it go to PRE or English racing to get inspected and have a leak down and compression test. Should I see if I could get the car cheaper? Also, how many miles does this engine usually go for?

Should I see if I could get the car cheaper?

You can try. When I bought mine, I literally spent 3 hours inspecting the car! I was able to knock down $1500 cause I found defective parts (e.g. torn cv boots and some other things).

Also, how many miles does this engine usually go for?

It depends. Some only do 60k and need some internal work (like valve clearance adjustment), while others can last 250k+ (a very few so far)! This one is modified, so I am not too sure..

I was planning on having it go to PRE or English racing to get inspected and have a leak down and compression test. Should I see if I could get the car cheaper? Also, how many miles does this engine usually go for?

How far are you from "m sprank" http://www.infamousperformance.net ? that's who you want to have check the car out.

He's someone your going to want to get to know.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, looks nice with great mods.

Except it appears it still has the stock pistons in it..... which means it would be a few miles away from total ringland failure and resulting carnage. Not to be chicken little, but it could be a ticking time bomb.

If it were me, I would require a compression and leakdown test. If any of those numbers are outside the OEM specs, the price I'd offer would be LOW. Fixing the engine internals racks up the bills quick, especially if you pay someone for the labor and expertise.

Yeah, looks nice with great mods.

Except it appears it still has the stock pistons in it..... which means it would be a few miles away from total ringland failure and resulting carnage. Not to be chicken little, but it could be a ticking time bomb.

If it were me, I would require a compression and leakdown test. If any of those numbers are outside the OEM specs, the price I'd offer would be LOW. Fixing the engine internals racks up the bills quick, especially if you pay someone for the labor and expertise.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The 07 LGT I had a couple years ago ended up having a ringland fail....not fun

Compression test it.

But in all seriousness I wouldn't touch another boosted Subi on their current platform. You know you're getting into the zone of a complete rebuild with anything you buy. Of stock tune helps.

The car looks great. I just personally don't think a boosted Subaru is the right choice for an undergrad (especially a 2.5). There are many examples of high-mileage cars that run forever but there are many, many cars that lose their engines. It sounds like you have already gone down the ringland road.

If you really want the car, compression test and see what kind of service records he has. Its great he works at a dealership, but is he the original owner? Good luck!

Archived