LegacyGT.com

Moving to Denver

cholmes1

Hello Everyone,

I had some quick questions that I am certain you all would be able to answer with ease.

Living in Chicago the snow never really accumulates too deep to be a problem, but having never lived or visited Denver during the winter my concern is that my LGT will not be a year-'round vehicle due to ride height.

Have any of you had any difficulty using your Legacy's year round? I plan to get snow tires but being on HD Bilsteins and STI pinks I am slightly lower than factory and really don't have space for a car that can only be used certain months out of the year.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I tried searching but really saw no similar questions.

Best,

C.H.

Riding on pinks as well with no issues. If we get 2ft plus, the hardest part is getting out of your neighborhood. Once you are out, CDOT does a good job on the main roads. If you have aftermarket wheels, I will recommend using winter and summer wheel/tire setups. Not that you need them often, but when you do, you'll be glad to have them. Welcome, I love living here.

I'm on aftermarket 18" and Conti DWS's year round the past 2 yrs with no probs and have never got stuck, prior to my LGT I drove a 97LGT and that car was a tank in the snow too. But like the others say if/when we do get a big 2ft dump our cars can be fairly effective as snow plows :), and our snow never sticks around too long, it will snow one day and be 50 and sunny the next and then snow melts... But as stated earlier once you get out of your neighborhood you'll be fine. And welcome to CO, you're going to love it here like the rest of the transplants

I drove the last 4 years with my LGT on s-techs... snow was rarely a problem and as others said, just getting out of the neighborhood sometimes is an issue. Wait.. you are coming from Chicago? I would think you are accustomed to more days of snow than Denver. I have coilovers now.

Anyhow, I run 17's and Blizzaks in the winter and adjust my suspension up to near stock height.. definitely like it better in the winter than slammed.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

My '06 spec is on Cobb springs, 17inch BBS wheels and hankook all-season tires. You may get lil bumper plow action in the neighborhoods, but I haven't had any issues either. Now the terrible roads out here...

Thanks for all of the feedback. Sounds like there should be no issue. I also just found out that if needed you all are allowed studded tires. Probably will just keep some winter wheels and tires set aside to avoid any problems. Thanks again, hopefully I will be able to come to a meet to all your cars.

Best,

C.H.

I've only got myself a 2.5i, but I was still kicking everyone else's ass this winter when we had a couple really bad snow storms on fairly worn all seasons that definitely needed replacing. Seriously, I got out of my little cul-de-sac without any issues at all while my dad couldn't get out in his TL with nearly new DWS tires. I put it in drive and went straight out. He needed me to push.

These things don't need studded tires.

Thanks for the info regarding the studded tires. If I can save some $$ for a season or two with a decent all season tires I will try that first.

Also, any advice on 'less strict' emissions shops in the Denver area? I have an 01' Impreza RS and never did emissions in Chicago, but since this is a permanent move I will need to register that vehicle completely.

I do not have anything outlandish (smoke, noise, etc), but I know my O2 sensor is faulty, my cat is likely shot from an oil bath it received at Wal-Mart a few years back, and the check engine light comes on when the O2 acts up.

Since it is my commuter car I hate to invest too much on something that has had no impact on mileage (still gets >28mpg after 200K) or the stock performance.

Best,

C.H.

Hmmm. Out south of Denver in the Centennial/Highlands Ranch area, there's an emissions testing center off of a street called County Line Road that I think I've seen is a good place to have it done. Not sure on all the specifics of our emissions testing. After you initially get it registered, they have vans that park at various places on the shoulders like on highway onramps (they list the locations online), and if you pass them a certain number of times within a few months of your registration being up for renewal, that can count as your emissions test and is the cheater's way to get by the test.

The snow isn't as bad as everyone outside of colorado thinks. My 5th subie and I've never had anything but quality all seasons for metro area commutes. The emissions program is contracted by the state and gas powered vehicles get the rolling chassis test at specific testing centers every 2 years. Diesels have a different standard and get tested every year but at more privately owned shops. The gas emission test costs $25 and they do mirror inspections for exhaust mods although I don't know if they know jack:lol: They will fail a cel that's showing though. All of the testing is dependent on the area you live but if you are within 100 miles of any civilization you will probably need it:mad: The roads are bad but it is sunny most of the year and the food is not that bad if you know where to look.

The snow isn't as bad as everyone outside of colorado thinks. My 5th subie and I've never had anything but quality all seasons for metro area commutes. The emissions program is contracted by the state and gas powered vehicles get the rolling chassis test at specific testing centers every 2 years. Diesels have a different standard and get tested every year but at more privately owned shops. The gas emission test costs $25 and they do mirror inspections for exhaust mods although I don't know if they know jack:lol: They will fail a cel that's showing though. All of the testing is dependent on the area you live but if you are within 100 miles of any civilization you will probably need it:mad: The roads are bad but it is sunny most of the year and the food is not that bad if you know where to look.
I've lived here for 12 years and the food doesn't compare to either coast.

I live in the Congress park area and always laugh my ass off when I see the long lines of people waiting for snooze. No reservations taken, so we're talking an hour wait for diner food. Talk about the Bewildered Herd. As for the emissions, El paso county has no emissions and has the second largest city.

I've lived here for 12 years and the food doesn't compare to either coast.

I live in the Congress park area and always laugh my ass off when I see the long lines of people waiting for snooze. No reservations taken, so we're talking an hour wait for diner food. Talk about the Bewildered Herd. As for the emissions, El paso county has no emissions and has the second largest city.

The Springs don't have emissions!? I guess us idiots in Metro care more about ma nature;)

In regards to long lines at Snooze:

Yes, slightly ridiculous to wait for an hour to get breakfast anywhere really. But, I haven't found anywhere else in town that I like more for breakfast than Snooze. It is quite good food. Just gotta go nice and early or wait until a little later when the crowd isn't so big. It also helps that a quick phone call from my dad can generally get us to the top of the waiting list if we want to go because he does plenty of business with them selling them stuff through his work.

No offense, but have you lived here all your life? (seems to be natives only that like snooze) It still surprises me to find a person that loves that place. I think snooze is just a greasy spoon with fancy decor and bad wait staff. Don't get me wrong, I like greasy spoons and they have their place, but it's all hype at snooze. Been there twice, as I believe every place deserves a second chance. Second time, I had the eggs benedict. And it was'nt anything to rave about. Funny thing was, the lady next to me also had it. She kept moaning about how heavenly the Hollandaise sauce was (her actual words). Apparently, she has never eaten at an authentic French restaurant. Anyways, for denver places, luciles is halfway decent and blows snooze out of the water

I was indeed born here, moved to FL when I was 9 back in 2003, came back in 07, and been here since. I love the spuds deluxe they have. Snooze obviously isn't the best breakfast place in town, but the Southglenn one is close to where I live, and it is at least different than most other breakfast places. You can go anywhere and get eggs, pancakes and bacon. At least at snooze, they have interesting choices for pancakes and more creative stuff than typical breakfast dishes. That said, I generally wouldn't wait unless I was like the first person to have to wait and it would only be 5-10 minutes max.

Never eaten at snooze myself, but I drive by it alot and on weekends they are always packed. Although im not a "foodie" I do like to eat. Maybe because im partial to the fact I helped build this place, but the high rise bakery just up the street from snooze at 22nd and larimer is pretty good imo. There kind of on the expensive side (what downtown eatery isn't lol) but they bake and make everything fresh every day.

Oh, and in regards to places being packed, well when there are that many people willing to wait for that food, that does speak to the quality of the food and how good people think it is. Compare that to the place I went to down in Cherry Creek a couple months ago (can't remember the name) that was only half full at like 10 AM on the weekend, well that speaks to how crappy the food is. And trust me, the food was terrible.

Thanks for some of the emissions advice I will see about getting the CEL cleared at an AutoZone before the test.

Thanks also for info on the better food choices. My wife is a foodie and with Chicago having >5 Top Chef All-Stars we have never really thought about the food transition. I guess we will need to wait each year for the Food & Wine classic in Aspen.

These are places I have been recommended to ease the food transition:

Steakhouse: Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House

Seafood: The Oceanaire Seafood Room

Sushi: Taki Sushi & Sushi Den

It does look like there are quite a few generally solid places to eat though just in my little research http://www.yelp.com/c/denver/restaurants

Thanks again for the emission help and feel free to keep the info coming guys. It is all appreciated.

Best,

C.H.

^ well if the food isnt that great here it speaks well that CO is one of the most "skinny" states in the county. So for all the fatties out there, get off your butt and enjoy the beautiful outdoors that we all love here in Colorado, my .02

Colorado isn't one of, it is the skinniest state in the country. I do believe Colorado is the only state with an obesity rate under 20%. I'm within like 5-10 lbs of what my ideal weight should be for my height, and I look fat compared to just about everyone else here.

We aren't like a top dining hotspot or anything, but there are plenty of good restaurants scattered about.

Archived