LegacyGT.com

Stereo and AC display going blank wtf!?

Just bought my 07 last month pretty much right after I bought it I noticed that the stereo and ac display go blank intermittently sometimes it is fast some times it stays out for a long time sometimes when I tap it it will go on and off. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows of a solution. Thanks for any and all help.

I encountered the same thing once on mine. It didn't come back until I turned the car off and back on. I couldn't turn the radio off either it was seriously locked...of course on a terrible song. Never was able to reproduce it again.

Ever since I purchased my LGT in 07 Ive had this same issue. My radio screen goes blank, sometiimes flash off and on. I have no control of my stereo can't change station or play a cd if im listening to the radio. Sometimes my ac display does the same. I took it to the dealer they could never reproduce the problem. Tried several time they could not tell me if it was the wiring or the stereo head unit with the problem. So ive learned to deal with the issue, i figured out if you push on your stereo right be low the display it fixes the problem for a while, it could go a couple of months without it doing it.

Same issue, although I'm not sure my radio is the same vintage as my '05. I swapped out the original 6-CD with a 6-CD MP3 (06?). Anyway, the display going out has happened about three times in the past six months. A tap on the faceplate brought the display back on. Wish I could help.

I encountered the same thing once on mine. It didn't come back until I turned the car off and back on. I couldn't turn the radio off either it was seriously locked...of course on a terrible song. Never was able to reproduce it again.

I had the same issue one time, it was never on the fritz again though

^ I also had this glitch manifest *once* - I've had Winky since May, 2005, and she's a daily driver.

I never figured it out, nor has this glitch, so far, manifested again.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My wife and I have had this problem with our 09 Outback XT. Whatever we had on at the time was stuck on (i.e. radio, blower motor, ac/heat...) and could not be adjusted. To "unlock" the console we had to pull over and turn the car off and back on again. SUPER convenient when driving the car up a snow covered windy road on with nowhere to pull over.

Took it to the dealership, and of course, the problem could not be duplicated. They told me to drive the car down to the dealership the next time it goes blank. Yet another SUPER convenient thing for me to do when trying to go snowboarding. Who needs their defrost with four dudes in the car on snow covered, windy, dark, barely two lane roads anyway?

I wish you the best of luck with this problem. I have replaced to fuse in out car just for ish and giggles. Let me know if anyone finds a fix for this problem.

Radio display on our 05 Outback went out and will not come back. HVAC is still fine.

Radio and CD still work but we just have no idea what station or CD we're listening to.

It's too bad that we can't change out the stereo easily. This could've been a quick $150 fix via crutchfield, but I have a feeling I'll be shelling out close to $500 at the stealer. :(

Radio display on our 05 Outback went out and will not come back. HVAC is still fine.

Radio and CD still work but we just have no idea what station or CD we're listening to.

It's too bad that we can't change out the stereo easily. This could've been a quick $150 fix via crutchfield, but I have a feeling I'll be shelling out close to $500 at the stealer. :(

Check out this forum or Ebay for used head units, unless you want to find a way to upgrade. I sold my original 05 head unit to a member after buying the replacement unit with MP3 playback on it. That was a goofy deal where one shop was selling a limited supply of new head units for stupid low prices.

I have it flash on/off on me sometimes. I think it just gets a little hot that's all. It was weird cuz I would catch it out of the corner of my eye. Everything was still working throughout the little seizure.

I just had this happen to me today, i've had the car for 6 months, 6k miles on it. I was about to park on the street and hit the mute button on the steering wheel, parked (may have even turned the engine off and still had AUX power on) and when I tried to take mute off, I noticed the radio screen and AC were blank. Was listening to my mp3 player at the time when i got sound back it was on an AM station but couldn't change it, was able to adjust volume and turn the radio on and off but couldn't change to AUX, CD or FM. Also was able to use all of the AC buttons but couldn't see anything on the screen. Drove over to the dealer and the service manager had no idea, all the techs just left since it was 5pm. Get back out to the car, turn it back on and it's working again. :( I hope to never see this again

Yeah, i get flash on off once in a great while too. My system doesn't lock up though. The display just goes out for a second and then comes back on. Happened maybe three or four times in the 4 years I've owned my 2006 GT.

Had this happen a couple times about a year after I bought my '08 LGT. Finally took it into the shop, it was covered under warranty. They put an entire new unit in. It has never happened again. The local Subaru shop said it was a known issue.

this has started happening to me since I removed the radio to install an aux in line, except the system does not lock up i just lose all lights and backlighting. push in on the faceplate, directly above the climate control display. it's a small strip of faceplate colored plastic. I do that, and the thing is fixed until it does it again...push on the same spot and its fine again.

if you disassemble the radio, the faceplate actually disconnects from the body of the radio. there are two connectors on the faceplate that "plug" into the body of the radio, I believe these are not seated properly and is causing my issue (and probably the rest of yours as well). where i said to push on above, is where these connections are located, i believe.

it hasn't been a big enough nuisance for me to want to open the dash up again and take the faceplate off the radio and put it back on.

happened to a couple of times. But I just really don't care that much. lol. It doesnt happen alot maybe like once a year a little less. I don't know. but just dont care. my mechanic says its and internal fuse or breaker. O well

i've had this happen a few times as well. i don't lose control over anything though, just all the displays go out. i'm willing to bet it's related to a grounding/some other electrical problem in the system.. maybe a voltage spike or something -- because once it happened and then the fuse blew.

i would bring it to subaru, but I have my entire carpc behind/underneath the radio. I don't think they'd take too kindly to that :(

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

i've had this happen a few times as well. i don't lose control over anything though, just all the displays go out. i'm willing to bet it's related to a grounding/some other electrical problem in the system.. maybe a voltage spike or something -- because once it happened and then the fuse blew.

i would bring it to subaru, but I have my entire carpc behind/underneath the radio. I don't think they'd take too kindly to that :(

if you have an intermittent connection (something that is nearly plugged in, but not all the way) it can cause large changes in power draw, which could blow a fuse if it got large enough.

• 1 month later...
Had this happen a couple times about a year after I bought my '08 LGT. Finally took it into the shop, it was covered under warranty. They put an entire new unit in. It has never happened again. The local Subaru shop said it was a known issue.

This just happened to me today on my LGT 2008 with only 7,790 miles. This is the first time and got to my parents home turn the car off and then turned back on and everything started working again :spin:. Then I came here to do a research and see some experienced this before. I am going to see how it goes from now on because I would not take the car to the Subaru Dealer here in PR.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Hello! Yes, my new "used" '08 Subbie Legacy Ltd did the same thing last night as I was driving to work. Just cruzin along and singing to the new CD I put it . I wanted to repeat the song and saw nothing lit up on the screen. I was so upset. I didn't mind driving to work with the CD playing but i could not turn the volume down either. I parked it and turned it off, then waited a minute and turned it back on.....the display was lit up. I'm anxious to see if it does it again tomorrow morning. I sure hope NOT! Thanks for all of the posts. You all really help an old woman on her car issues.:)

I've had m7 2007 GT for almost two weeks now, and I had that problem a few times.

Once the displays where totally off, and the other times they would blink.

Glad to know it is nothing major, and I'll try the "push" fix next time it does it.

Archived