LegacyGT.com

silicone vacuum hose

hey all, so a couple weekends ago I replaced my leaking turbo inlet with a perrin. during the process I discovered a ton of really crispy and cracked vacuum lines :eek: (things dry out quick here in the desert)

I am considering going with silicone hose to replace them, partly in hopes that it will hold up a little better over time in the dry and hot climate. I am in this car for the long haul.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff (good or bad)?

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=591&osCsid=fb08ac9b3f94a0d0d8343b6b738b2548

I have heard that silicone is not good to use on the intake side. It's not good for the O2 sensors.

Just stick with regular vacuum hose from the auto parts store, It's more important to zip tie and the ends.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

One of my Audi buddies (FAA Engineer with a long back ground in Jet Engines) mentioned that when I was talking about using silicone gasket sealer in the intake side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know that silicone gasket maker isn't' good for o2's, but I am pretty sure silicone tubing is safe (or at least I hope so because I have a silicone turbo inlet).

anybody else out there running silicone vacuum tubing and want to chime in?

I just replaced a bunch of the old/cracked rubber hoses with 4mm silicone hose. It seems like a much better solution vs. rubber lines.

If I were to replace all my vacuum lines, would 4mm be the only size I need to buy?

• 2 weeks later...
There are several companies that make kits that contain length of about 4 different sizes of silicone vacuum hose. I think you can pick up one of the kits for about $40-$50. I bought one about 4 years ago for $39.95 and still have some of the hose left after doing 2 cars with it.

Last fall, when we did Hicksta's exhaust/turbo swap, we changed out every existing vacuum line we could get to and zip-tied every single one. IIRC, there were 3, possibly 4 different sizes with 4mm being the smallest.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 8 months later...

Has anyone figured out how many different diameter vacuum hoses are needed if the goal is to replace all the hoses on the engine?

I'm going to have to do this. All the hoses on there are rock hard.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone figured out how many different diameter vacuum hoses are needed if the goal is to replace all the hoses on the engine?

I'm going to have to do this. All the hoses on there are rock hard.

If you're still looking to replace all the hoses that are rock-hard in the engine bay with silicone options, I just posted up a complete hose kit in the vendor forums. Trying to get the word out, so my apologies if you've seen this elsewhere today.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/initial-sale-thread-05-09-lgt-complete-engine-silicone-hose-225429.html

Archived