LegacyGT.com

2nd filter on 4th gen intake?

I posted in the 4th gen forums and didn't get anywhere so I thought I might get more response here since this seems to be a 2.5i thing.

My intake has filter material after the panel filter that appears to not be removable without some modification. I'm curious what this is for and if there would be any adverse side effects by removing it. At a minimum the filter looks like it could use a good cleaning.

Pic below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306851121.405851.thumb.jpg.6caeb77c91a8f1c737290017d0a0cdb2.jpg

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Idk. There was never any badging or anything like that to indicate?

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Anyone have a pic of a regular 2.5i exhaust so I can compare?

In the first pic the header on the right looks like what I have. PITA to get to the filter if the exhaust is hot...

I thought that's how all 2.5i exhausts looked?

I've never seen that before...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'll have to crawl under the car to look at the header. I never really paid much attention and it looked like the pics I've seen so I didn't look any more closely.

It may be a couple days. I'm working late every day this week. I'll try and snap a couple pics.

Maybe I'll be lazy and see if putting my camera under the car will yield a decent pic... Lol

IMO, I think it would just hurt performance. Case in point, if your air filter was in the open (such as an aftermarket RAI) then I could see the use for it in the spring time with the pollen or if it was mounted in your fenderwell. But since we have this cool air box thing, I think you will be perfectly fine without it. just my .02

Sounds great. I'll prob remove mine too, might not get to it right away though. I have to work this weekend.

Archived