LegacyGT.com

KATZKIN Leather

I need some advice and info..i am close to buying a KATZKIN all black leather kit for my legacy..price is reasonable. and i like the all black look..my question is, how hard is installation?? is it something that a dealer or proffesional should do?? what all is involved for putting the covers on?? surely the seats dont have to be removed do they? i read that a guy on here took 2 weeks to install?? anyhow are the covers as form fitting and snug looking as their website shows? i know they are good but would like anyone with some experience to chime in..like my two tone cloth, but it stains too easy and is too hard keeping clean, be nice just to wipe dirt right off..thanks for any feedback ahead of time!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've installed Katzkin's on a WRX wagon and a BMW 325 convertible. You definitely have to remove all of the seats out of the car. It's not an easy job, but is definitely doable if you are careful and methodical. I had zero experience installing seat covers before I decided to jump in and tackle the project. If I were you, before starting, I'd:

-- Obtain a copy of the seat removal section of the repair manual.

-- Find the Katzkin installation threads from the nasioc group buys from leatherseats.com. The instructions are for WRXs, but they are manual and probably very similar to Legacy seats.

-- Look up JDMChizad?'s thread about swapping an '07 Spec B interior into his '05 unlimited. He took some front seats apart, so he might be able to give you some tips on how to do it or what to look out for.

I've been pleased with the fit of the Katzkins. Not as tight as factory, but not baggy at all.

If you decide to do it, good luck. I'll be looking forward to your results.

Here are some pics of my WRX install from way back in 2003. I later found out that they had given me regular Impreza seat bottoms rather than WRX bottoms (they didn't realize there was a slight difference in bolstering). They replaced them and the new bottoms fit better than the ones shown in the pictures. These seats were pre-STi, and before Katzkins offered Alcantara or perforation.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2693/4539241144_ed8842dd29.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4539241274_182aa35085.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2738/4539241552_0c323623cd.jpg

wow..thanks for the info..seeing your pics made my mind up...the ones im looking at are just all black leather..sounds like ill prolly be taking it a professional for installation..was not sure if entire seats needed to be removed...ill post pics as soon as i get them installed..thanks!!

I've installed Katzkin's on a WRX wagon and a BMW 325 convertible. You definitely have to remove all of the seats out of the car. It's not an easy job, but is definitely doable if you are careful and methodical. I had zero experience installing seat covers before I decided to jump in and tackle the project. If I were you, before starting, I'd:

-- Obtain a copy of the seat removal section of the repair manual.

-- Find the Katzkin installation threads from the nasioc group buys from leatherseats.com. The instructions are for WRXs, but they are manual and probably very similar to Legacy seats.

-- Look up JDMChizad?'s thread about swapping an '07 Spec B interior into his '05 unlimited. He took some front seats apart, so he might be able to give you some tips on how to do it or what to look out for.

I've been pleased with the fit of the Katzkins. Not as tight as factory, but not baggy at all.

If you decide to do it, good luck. I'll be looking forward to your results.

okay youve made my mind up, but i got one more question...you need to remove the seats, but what about the factory cloth?? the covers state that theyll only fit cars with factory cloth, so im assuming these go right over the cloth?? if i gotta tear seats out and remove cloth that might be a deal breaker..ill just buy leather seats..lol thanks

Taking the seats out of your car is not a big deal. When I vacuum my car I remove the front seats to get everywhere. It will take you literally 5 minutes if you've never done it before. I've heard the best way to get the seats tighter is to use leather oil and heat, they'll get snug and then stretch where you need them to

When you buy direct from Katzkins....they use an installer and they pay the installer...just an FYI....

So..if you know someone at a dealership have them order them for you and pay 100 bucks over cost and they will install them free...

a local dealer i called told me that theyd install them..he said hes familar but his guys havent done any yet..so id just have labor costs involved..now that i know the seats need out i can give them a better heads up if i dont do this myself..

okay youve made my mind up, but i got one more question...you need to remove the seats, but what about the factory cloth?? the covers state that theyll only fit cars with factory cloth, so im assuming these go right over the cloth?? if i gotta tear seats out and remove cloth that might be a deal breaker..ill just buy leather seats..lol thanks

You've got to remove the factory cloth.

Are you thinking about buying the black Katzkins on ebay? That is a great deal for the covers alone. Good luck.

errr..the cloth comes off? this job keeps getting bigger and bigger..not that its not doable im just doubting myself a bit...yea found some covers on ebay..if they werent katzkins think id abandon this mod..lol thanks a bunch for the help and info!! greatly appreciated..

Why would you need to remove the cloth? I've seen these kits installed with it on. What do you do just cut it off?

The Katzkins aren't just covers, they are replacements. In order for the covers to attach as tightly as stock covers, they have to be installed the same way as the stock covers. Therefore, the crease points have to be attached with hog rings to metal rods embedded in the foam padding. Otherwise the bolstering would be shoddy and the centers would be as loose and saggy as your scrotum on a hot summer's day. You couldn't get to those rods with teh stock covers on.

As for taking them off, you'd take off the cloth covers as carefully as you'd put on your leathers. As you peel back the material, you've got to snip the existing hog rings to detach the covers from those rods I mentioned. You learn as much about installation by taking the cloths off as you do from the best nasioc threads.

errr..the cloth comes off? this job keeps getting bigger and bigger..not that its not doable im just doubting myself a bit...yea found some covers on ebay..if they werent katzkins think id abandon this mod..lol thanks a bunch for the help and info!! greatly appreciated..
Not to compound your concerns but don't forget about the seat heater elements.

Not sure how much this adds to the swap unless you live in a warm climate and don't use the heaters...

thanks for all the info..we will see how this one turns out...anyone know of a good place to take if i cant get this done on my own?? like i said the dealer here said theyd tackle it, but have never done them before..keep yuns posted..i know it will be worth it though..unreal how easy the two tone cloth stains in my car..just water drops do the trick..thanks again!!

well..got the katzkins..i tried again to get ahold of someone at katzkins..im not to impressed with their service..i decided id search my area for upholstery shops to do the job..thanks to all for the info..ill update as soon as i get them installed..hoping they turn out good!!

well..got the katzkins..i tried again to get ahold of someone at katzkins..im not to impressed with their service..i decided id search my area for upholstery shops to do the job..thanks to all for the info..ill update as soon as i get them installed..hoping they turn out good!!

I'd be curious to know how much it cost for the leather + install. I kind of want to do this to my wife's Impreza.

I buy 2-4 sets of katzkins per year for a customer or for a friend....they are one of the most professional vendors I've ever dealt with.

I did notice you didn't mention the PHONE.....the internet is killing the art of picking up the phone....

I'm not bashing you.....in the future consider the phone.

I have participated in many different car projects w/ them and it has run from $1200 for a Dodge Caliber installed....to around $2200 for a new Challenger install w/ tons of lettering and special color choices.

It's less money than most folks think....

Archived