LegacyGT.com

How to Turn off Front Amber Lights.

EPLegacyGT

I have a question for the all savant of the Legacy.

Would it be possible to stop the front amber turning signals from turning on at night when I turn my light switch on while still retaining the turn signal.

Yeah thats a long one.

I think this would improve the look of the car.

If anyone has done this before or found an old post please let me know.

Yes, you can. The turn signal bulb is dual filament - one filament is for the turn signal, and the other is for the amber running light you're talking about.

I have a picture somewhere that identifies which pin does what. There's three pins: one leads to the turn signal filament, the other is the parking light filament, and the third is ground (it's the middle pin). All you'd have to do is cut the wire that handles the parking light functionalities. Your turn signal would still work as their power runs through a separate wire.

I've done something similar to this for a JDM application, and I can confirm that it works the way I described. I'm at the library right now, but I'll find you the picture when I get back home.

What would be the point of that? The basic point of having those "side markers" is so that some idiot knows where the corners of your car are and therefore doesn't drive too close to the yellow line ( from the opposite side of the road)and hit you. You haven't noticed how many dopes out there are driving close to the yellow line?? Must be a Massachusetts thing........good luck with that

What would be the point of that? The basic point of having those "side markers" is so that some idiot knows where the corners of your car are and therefore doesn't drive too close to the yellow line ( from the opposite side of the road)and hit you. You haven't noticed how many dopes out there are driving close to the yellow line?? Must be a Massachusetts thing........good luck with that

I would think the drivers would see your headlights at night and during the daytime I hope they are able to see the car.

No issues here.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qjqv2cZkG50/S9Mvytldm6I/AAAAAAAAAQs/XAZ-B2antdY/Socket%20Mod%204.jpg

Sorry it's taken me a while. Good news is that I just wrote my last exam. Done 3rd year, woot woot!

Anywho, I saved this picture off the forums quite some time ago. I cannot remember who took it, so forgive me for not providing the owner. I've modified it and blacked out some information/explanations that aren't related to this mod.

This is a picture of the plug that runs from your car and plugs into the headlight turn signal bulb. You can see which wire it is that you need - which is the one denoted with the red X. This is the wire you'd need to cut.

I'm not responsible if you damage your car doing this. Though, I've done something similar to get jdm lights to work.

• 2 weeks later...
i think that de-pinning the OEM connector for the running lights would be a cleaner way of doing it with out permanently modifying you're wiring harness by cutting wires. Some connections are harder than others but you can pull out the pins, which would be equivalent of cutting the wire.

Very good suggestion! Guys keep in mind exactly what plug you're looking at! That's the plug that runs from your car's wiring harness. I was doing this on my JDM setup and ended up confusing myself accidentally. I soldered a turn signal socket into the parking light connectors.. Easy fix, but still, a silly mistake.

• 2 months later...

Archived