LegacyGT.com

Need advice on tranny

dan_m

I will try to clarify the applications of the PDM sleeve kits.

TSK1 is for all N.A. (non-turbo) Legacy, Impreza, Forester, Baja models, all engines, except 1993 Impreza 2WD, 1.8, 5spd sedans. The original bearing number is 30502AA051.

TSK2 is for 91-94 & 2005-up Turbo Legacy, 2002-2005 WRX, 2004 Turbo Forester and Baja. The clutch slave cylinder is in behind the clutch fork so it can push forward on the fork, thus pulling back on the bearing. The original bearing number is 30502AA080.

TSK3 is for all 2005-up Turbo models & 2006-up WRX. These should all have the push type clutch. The clutch slave cylinder is in front of the clutch fork, just like the N.A., so it can push back on the fork. The original bearing number is 30502AA120.

You can call the dealer with your vin & ask which bearing is in your car.

The sleeve is warranted for life against failure. The bearing is warranted for 1 year. Sometimes damage to the trans quill will prevent the sleeve from sliding on. Debur the quill with sand paper or a file in the damage areas only. It is critical that the sleeve fits snugly to prevent distortion upon tightening the set screws. A light tap on the shoulder should set it in place. Every sleeve is test fitted on an actual Subaru transmission. After 30 years working on Subarus, I know how frustrating it is for something not to work right. If it appears to be too tight return it or call PDM @ 1-877-736-2775 and they will make it right.

They have sold almost 6000 of these kits in the last 5 years. That would not happen if there was a consistant problem with the product.

The 2005 Turbo Legacy seems to be the biggest culprit, but the Forester, WRX & Baja have the same problem. It seems that Subaru reverted to the push type clutch in a effort to reduce the shock to the transmission causing failure. You can only put limited power to a push type clutch thus the slippage or reduced impact.

I started turbo-ing Subarus in 1978. I could not get a cluth to hold the power. I modified the flywheel in order to use a VW racing clutch. It held but a woman couldn't drive it for the pedal pressure.

I hope this helps. Paparoo

Installed the TSK3 with my new tranny. No problems with install with the TSK3 on the 05 LGT tranny. Problems were encountered with trying to install the TSK2 on the 05 tranny.

I have the TSK3 kit and it wouldn't fit my tranny :confused: Did you have to do anything special or it slid right on with no trouble?

Definitely go with the sleeve kit before spending that kind of money. We replace them from time to time when doing clutch jobs depending if there is any damage.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived