LegacyGT.com

what's it take to install a new set of springs?

reflexion

i bought a set of cobb springs and i can't install them myself because i lack the tools to do so. i got quoted some insane prices around andrewtech told me 375 with realignment, is realigning required? some other garages gave me prices like 220 and around there. can anyone tell me if these prices sound right? or recommend me towards a cheaper installer?

thanks for the help

Its because you are going to be lowering your car ... which will affect your camber, which will affect tire wear ... etc ... anytime you change your suspension .. you should get an aligment ... I'd get them put on ... and drive a bit before an alignment to be sure things are settled.

thanks, didn't know that before i'll have to shell out some big ones then, but one last question you say whenever you change the suspension you should realign. would you need to realign when installing anti-sway bars?

No.

wasting tires? i don't really see how replacing the springs would need to have a realignment done. i thought replacing them was just basically taking the old springs off and slapping the new ones on.

when you take off your shocks, the front (at least) have stock camber bolts that dont have markings on them.. any joe schmoe will just take them out and put them in however they want, causing a very large difference of camber from one side of the car to the other.. the rear doesnt have this problem because there's no adjustment to the camber.

On another note, whenever you change the camber, your toe changes as well due to the axis of the kingpin is located. For our cars, the more camber you add, the more toe out you get, and vice versa. Toe is what eats up your tires more so than camber.. being off from 1/16" toe out to say 1/8" toe out is a HUGE difference. I've ran as much as 3/32" toe out and lets just say that under hard driving and about a distance of 200 miles of driving, my tires were worn from brand new down to half tread because the tires are scrubbing the entire time while driving in a straight line.

$200 to $250 for spring work is about right, and alignment (a good one, not some junk type/half-assed tire shop) would cost around $100 to $150.

I've done enough installs and spring work on cars to get a feel for the work. PM me if want more info on your work

Keefe

thanks, didn't know that before i'll have to shell out some big ones then, but one last question you say whenever you change the suspension you should realign. would you need to realign when installing anti-sway bars?

not for anti-sway bars since that doesnt change the static geometry.. anti-sway bars change the characteristics of the dynamics.. just like gettting lighter control arms.. you're not changing the static geometry, only dynamic.

Same idea applies to changing wheels and tires if you plan to keep the static geometry the same, but the unsprung weight differences is what you will feel when the car is in motion (aka dynamics).

Keefe

Archived