LegacyGT.com

Clutch ok?

Shogun506

I'm currently on a 3000km road trip across the country and have been driving about 6-7 hours a day for the past couple days. Yesterday I tried to teach my girlfriend how to drive manual so she could help with the driving but she wasn't doing so well and revved up to about 5000rpm and let the clutch out slowly to start moving. The start was smooth but to my horror I could smell burning clutch for about 3 minutes or longer after that. Before that she also had some shaky semi-stall startups but nothing overly terrifying. I've never smelled it burn before but I knew instantly that's what it was. Today the smell was gone when we started driving but after about 500km we came off the highway and I was driving around Minneapolis (nice city). I started to smell the clutch slightly during the city driving but after parking it while in the mall and coming back out 2 hours later I haven't smelled it since. Does long distance driving cause the clutch to heat up or have I caused some serious damage to the clutch? It feels just like it always has to me so it's not functioning any differently but I don't like that it's smelling.

How does the clutch react when you give it some boost in 5th gear, does it slip ?

If yes, then yes you better start looking for a new one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The clutch disc was glazed over from the 5000 RPM slipping. It should wear away after a bit and stop smelling. As long as it drives fine (do the test Max said) I wouldn't worry.

The clutch will only heat up when slipping (starting off or changing gears). Otherwise there is no relative movement between the flywheel and clutch disc, so no heat generated.

Didn't really want to teach her but it was more that she wanted to help. Anyway like you said ras it burned off and I haven't smelled or felt anything wrong since I started this thread so I guess I'm ok!

Archived