LegacyGT.com

A/C and Heating

Omen

Lately this has been bothering me more than normal and I don't know why. Whenever I have my A/C or heat on my car will shake or rumble when the condenser (I think that is what it is) kicks in. From outside the car it sounds normal but inside it feels like a rough idle while the condenser comes on. This may be a stupid question but is it supposed to be that loud and rough?

Is it significantly rough and loud? Generally speaking when the AC condenser kicks in it does cause the car to idle rougher. However if you've been using your AC regularly with no problems and then oneday the engine seems to have gotten rougher and louder while it's in use you may want to have it looked at.
- The Mortgage Man

The AC condensor is the thing that looks like a radiator that sits in front of the radiator.

The AC compressor is the thing attached to the engine with a belt.

The AC evaporator is the thing inside the passanger compartment.

The roughness is from the ecu trying to maintain idle under a fairly decent size load. If it seems irregualrly rough, you can have the idle speed moved a bit higher whenever the AC is on.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

No you are right it is only rough when it kicks in then smoothes out and so on. Thanks for the imput. I am a just a bit paranoid with all the problems I had with my SRT. Sounds like what I am hearing is normal.

Archived