LegacyGT.com

front caliper bolt torque specs

deserter

I've searched the forums and can't find the specs for torquing the bolts which hold the front calipers in place, and also the ones which hold the pads in place, and the one which holds the brake line to the caliper. Can anyone point me to a reference which has the proper torque specs for 2005 2.5 GT front brakes?

OEM calipers/pads, stainless lines, DBA 42650XS rotors

Caliper to bracket - 19.9 ft-lbs

Bracket to spindle - 88.5 ft-lb

Banjo bolt for brake line to caliper - 13 ft-lb

Hope that helps.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

• 2 years later...
Can anyone verify the brake torques for the bracket to spindle? I just tried replacing the front brake rotors and pads and broke 2 bolts trying to torque them to 88 ft/lbs. Trying to chase down new bolts now. I saw another reference for the bracket to spindle and it was listed as 59 ft/lbs. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am doing rotors and pads on a 2009 Outback 2.5.

My service manual states 88.5 ftlbs for the caliper support to housing.

When tightening, I realized that the bolt was going to break. I ended up stretching it, and was able to correct the torque using a 2006 Forester manual, that asks for 59 ftlbs.

For safety purposes I will replace the stretched bolt a soon as I get a new one.

But, WTF. How the heck the service manual is asking for 88.5 ftlbs on that bolt?

Tip - when tightening bolts to torque, make sure you get it to be snug by hand or using a small tool first. If from that point it seems that it's taking too long to torque it, your torque settings might be too high. Stop and verify threads and bolt for signs of wear, stretching, or striping.

• 11 months later...
Can anyone verify the brake torques for the bracket to spindle? I just tried replacing the front brake rotors and pads and broke 2 bolts trying to torque them to 88 ft/lbs. Trying to chase down new bolts now. I saw another reference for the bracket to spindle and it was listed as 59 ft/lbs. Thanks.

In my hard copy of the 2005 FSM, the spec is shown as 59 ft-lb.

...My service manual states 88.5 ftlbs for the caliper support to housing. ...

When tightening, I realized that the bolt was going to break…….But, WTF. How the heck the service manual is asking for 88.5 ftlbs on that bolt?...

There are mistakes in the manual.

As Subaru writes at their STIS web site:

"Subaru of America releases thousands of pages of corrected Service Manual information every year"

I didn't know you could do that. I sort of assumed that the FSMs were proprietary and only released to dealerships. I didn't realize it was available to the public. Did you just buy it from the parts counter at the dealership or what? I can't find anywhere to buy the hard copy online. How much did it cost?

As far as mistakes in the manual, I just found a post recently that showed two identical pictures from the vacation pix of the fuel lines in the engine bay and each picture has the fuel delivery and fuel return lines reversed from the other. I still don't know which is which for sure. I think delivery is on the top.

Yeah. I can access the vacation pix. I just kind of want a hard copy to flip through. Pdf is not my favorite way to view things. But I don't want it so badly that I'm willing to pay a ridiculous amount for it. I've considered trying to print the vacation pix, but at over 6000 pages, that is not an insignificant printing job. Thanks for the info!

Archived