LegacyGT.com

Is the Short Throw really shorter?

I'm just curious if the optional short throw is really that much shorter than the stock shifter? I've had a short throw or two in my day and this doesn't really seem as short as those were. If this is the short throw, then I'd hate to see how long the throws are with the stock shifter. The demo that I drove had the short throw in it too, so I haven't ever seen the stock one. Is the short throw shifter really that much shorter?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest turboman

Personally, I thought the KartBoy I put on my WRX had a shorter throw. My GT has the factory shorty with a Momo air knob. Love it. Redline MT90 improves it too.

A trick that no one has mentioned is to mount a Momo knob all the way down until it bottoms. You have get a couple more plastic cups and cut off the bottoms so they slide down the shifter, and put the proper sized cupped cap on top to fill up any gaps inside the knob so it doesn't "rock". Then you can push the knob down until it "bottoms" and the set screws will have something to bite into on the bottom. Makes the shifter about 2" shorter.. :)

Hard part is finding more vinyl cups of the same size. I'm going to take the proper sized cup to Home Depot and match it. I heard they had them (for threaded-rod end caps and stuff).

I've had both - I ordered the car with the standard shifter and later installed the STi STS. You're right, it's not crazy short - I'd guess the actual throw length (at the top of the knob) is about 1 - 1.5" shorter. I've commented before that it is more of a "medium" throw compared to some of the aftermarket STS (based on comments on this board)

You can see pictures of both stock and STi short throw shifters here:

http://www.calvars.com/unilat/auto/subaru/STS.htm

@ the 3.0 Beastie -

Is the throw short enough for you now - or would you like it tighter?

He's a 5EAT and is craving a 6MT for his 3.0 ;)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

There is a point, IMO, where the short shifter becomes too short and requires more effort than I like both from a leverage standpoint and from a comfort standpoint.

The STI STS has just the right combination of height, shortened throw and comfort, right out of the box. Proper installation is critical to gaining these advantages since if it's too tight, it tends to drag through the "gates" and you feel the synchronizers attempting to synch up which makes it feel notchy. Installed correctly and it's one sweet addition to a reasonable stock setup.

It may never be short enough, and thus mechanically reduce the throw enough for some owners. But, like every other "choice" in customizing our individual cars, it's what appeals the most to us.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I had a B&M in my CRX, the STi in the WRX, and the STi in the LGT. By far, the best one is the one I am driving now......shorter throw, close to stock feel. I wonder what adding Kartboy bushings would do for the action....hmmmmm.

I had a buddie's S2000 for six months while he was over in Afghanistan......that is a sweet, factory short throw. The LGT STS is not anywhere near that, but not bad considering the stock one was decent. Another buddy drove my car Sunday....he has a 545is - he loved the STS. I guess that is a good barometer - he noticed the short throws yet stock feel without me telling him that it wasn't the std. shifter.

I wonder what adding Kartboy bushings would do for the action

I've had short throws in previous cars and no bushings. Two weeks ago (not Kartboy) but installed my cobb bushings that I got with the STS. I really didn't think a $30 dollar bushing would make that much of a difference. I was comp. wrong, the shifts just find themselvs instead of having to fight with it a lil.....much smoother...I was impressed....

I have the Cobb double adjustable, and I think I have it set to about (if talk'n from the top of the stock knob to the silver trim around the base) 1/2 the hight of the original shifter (with the Momo shift knob)

I've had both - I ordered the car with the standard shifter and later installed the STi STS. You're right, it's not crazy short - I'd guess the actual throw length (at the top of the knob) is about 1 - 1.5" shorter. I've commented before that it is more of a "medium" throw compared to some of the aftermarket STS (based on comments on this board)

You can see pictures of both stock and STi short throw shifters here:

http://www.calvars.com/unilat/auto/subaru/STS.htm

I did the exact same and couldnt agree more.

Thank you......that seems awfully familiar. I must have read it back before I bought the car, so I didn't save the link. Looks like a must-do while I am under there doing the up and down-pipes.

• 3 weeks later...
Funny stuff, I ordered the Cobb STS from them, and the bushings were below, I just added them to the cart without even look'n.....They fit perfect....if you're worried email them..they'll get back to you pretty quick

I am curious if there are any changes aside from the length of the shift lever in the STi short shift kit. Since it comprises of a whole new assembly, I would think there are more differences.

I wonder what an STi ssk, cobb double-adjustable lever, and harder bushings all used together would do for shift quality.

I drove a Legacy on a test drive, and the shift quality was decent for the few minutes I used it, but it was about like any other car with a linkage. Not as quick, and not as direct as i am used to.

Granted I drive a 5MT miata, which has one of the best tactile shifters commonly available. would the improvements above help the legacy approach that level of tactile feedback and ease/quickness of use?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived