LegacyGT.com

Pulling the Intake Manifold

So I'm about to replace the power steering pump on my 05 LGT and due to the lovely installation design of the motor, the lower pump bolt sits directly in front of a coolant intake pipe into the manifold, which sits directly below the intake manifold... Needless to say, everything has to come off to replace this pump (So frustrating) but I'm wondering if there is any stand out points of interest/concern pertaining to such a service that anyone may have to share prior to digging into this... Not excited about having to remove my entire intake manifold

Planning on digging in, next weekend, so doesn't hurt to gain a bit more perspective prior to doing so.

Best regards

If you look between the holes in the face of the pulley, you'll see two bolts at 3 and 6 o'clock. Those are the ones that hold it into the bracket. You might be seeing the bolt that holds the pump bracket to the motor. At that point, you just need to remove the belt, and the lines. If you need pictures I can try and save them from ALLDATA. Labor time calls for 1.3 so there's no way it'll require pulling the intake. Let me know if you need more info.

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE if that where the case... But we had those bolts removed and it wouldn't part from the bracket... But then if you look at the bottom of the pump, there's a bolt chamber that runs the entire length of the bottom of the pump, and the bolt comes from behind through to the front... I'll have to see if I can capture a pic of it somehow.

Shit. Sorry I totally goofed. The two bolts I was talking about hold it into the bracket, with one more that's on the side of the pump. But you need to remove the bracket from the car, then separate the pump from the bracket. This is from ALLDATA. They say remove these bolts to remove the pump bracket.

pump.gif.326f81b1ccbe6d87fe721659e1010276.gif

so wheres this bottom bolt connect to... Thats what I'm confused about. I'd have to try to look at it again. It really seemed like that bolt was holding it onto something stationary, but maybe I need to give the bracket a closer look. Appreciate the diagram, I'll refer back after looking again.

That would be awesome! If you happen to get a peek at it, I would appreciate your feedback.

I had me and another buddy of mine looking at it, who's not intimately familiar with subarus (He's a mercedes tech) but we where convinced thats what needed to be done.

FWIW, I seem to recall removing the PS pump for the engine R&R and I just unbolted it on layed it to the side ?

I didn't remove the intake till the engine was out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The pump is easy to remove. Takes 10 minutes. The trick is to remove with the bracket it's attached too. Two bolts in the front of the bracket, I think 12 mm and one bolt, 14mm ( I think) in the back between the pump and manifold, Straight down. Then you remove the pump from the bracket. Two bolts behind the pulley and one long one on the back.

It does help to loosen the two behind the pulley while on the car.

This also does mean you need to loosen the alternator and lift it to the right.

Yup, the P/S pump is easy to do without pulling the manifold off. Just follow ibr_adam's instructions.

PCV valve assemble is a PITA to do, but doable. Long screwdrivers are you friends here to tighten the lower hose clamp.

My wife's balls are delicious.

That must be what we missed then, is point of attachment of the bracket, and pulling that off with the pump. I SURE AS HELL would rather pull all that off, then have to take the manifold off. I'll give it another look over the weekend. Appreciate the heads up guys. I think we seen that long lower bolt and assumed we needed to make space behind it to remove it.

While your there, think about replacing the two drive belts.

Yea Max, your just referring to the belts for everything right: Alternator/power steering etc?

I had all of these belts replaced not long ago so those are looking good :D

Yup, the P/S pump is easy to do without pulling the manifold off. Just follow ibr_adam's instructions.

PCV valve assemble is a PITA to do, but doable. Long screwdrivers are you friends here to tighten the lower hose clamp.

I'm still CRINGING at the thought of this PCV valve :rolleyes: I tugged on it a little bit, scoped it out... Was not a fan of what I saw ha.

Yes those are the drive belts. PS and Alt.

If you have to pull the intake in the future, disconnect the fuel lines on the shock tower, remove the three bolts per side, that hold the TGV's to the heads, TMIC, check for electrical connectors and lift the manifold as a unit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes those are the drive belts. PS and Alt.

If you have to pull the intake in the future, disconnect the fuel lines on the shock tower, remove the three bolts per side, that hold the TGV's to the heads, TMIC, check for electrical connectors and lift the manifold as a unit.

I can only HOPE that I will not have to! :lol:

104,250 miles, have had her from day 1 sole owner, and hope to probably rock another 24 months or 50k miles before considering what I want to do... PRAY that she keep running strong! :)

I just pulled my pump out of my car and I took pictures. 4 bolts hold the bracket down. The first picture shows the lower rear one. Look for your EJ motor tag and then directly to the left. Second picture is the lower right bolt and also the adjustment for the belt, which runs thru the PS bracket. Third photo is cause I felt like it. Last one is the bottom of the bracket. You can now see the lower left bolt hole. If you run your hand down the pulley at about 6 0'clock you'll feel the bolt head. Also shown is the lower right bolt hole. All the bolts are a 12mm head.

uploadfromtaptalk1383333241888.jpg.91bb11eb8e018b9862b3b3932251012f.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383333327358.thumb.jpg.71d5bebe34c5bcd690bcd020037a3a81.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383333413645.jpg.e41286211ef2ad98d6f89295e2a10f7d.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1383333442420.jpg.eba812a0768860b7fceb08b664397a61.jpg

Awesome references man! Really appreciate it... Little tough to decipher positioning based off just the pictures without looking under there again myself, but glad to know there is a way to get this bracket off with the pump vs taking the manifold off. I'm having a hard time figuring out what angle/position that 1st picture is. I'll have to look for that tag.

No problem. Yea the angle of the shots got a little weird. The first shot, where my hand is, would be where the alternator sits. Follow the electrical connector from the pump down to the back, and you'll see the bolt. It'll be looking up at you, saying "Ha-Ha you can't get me." :lol:

No problem. Yea the angle of the shots got a little weird. The first shot, where my hand is, would be where the alternator sits. Follow the electrical connector from the pump down to the back, and you'll see the bolt. It'll be looking up at you, saying "Ha-Ha you can't get me." :lol:

:lol: No shit right! But that bolt sits vertical to the vehicle? So you can hit it straight down with a socket?

Bingo. I used a regular deep socket to get it out. But with the angle you'll need going back in, it'll require a universal 12mm socket, or a 12mm socket with a universal attachment. Either way don't matter. You just don't want to cross thread the hole. :mad:

Archived