LegacyGT.com

OEM subwoofer problem?

starionesir

I recently installed a oem subwoofer in a friends car that he purchased used and everything went fine and it sounds okay but the problem is now the fm radio has static. When playing a cd its fine but once you go back to fm the static comes and goes and when its acting up if you reach down and unplug the sub the static goes away? Anyone else experience a problem like this? Not sure if its a problem with the wiring harness or what. I can't imagine the wiring has anything at all to do with the antenna in the back glass. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts they will be greatly appreciated.

I had this issue with a cheap USB cig lighter adapter that I burred in the dash. Causes the radio reception to go to crap. I also have the issue when turning on my rear defroster. A different USB power supply solved my particular issue, but I believe I may have some chafing of the antenna wire.

In your case it may be related to chafing on the antenna wire if the ground for the subwoofer power is near the back of the radio. I'm sure there are better suggestions, but since you have 0 so far, I offer this.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

I did attach the ground on one of the radio mounting screws that holds the radio to the climate control assembly. His rear glass was replaced not long ago because of the defroster problem. Everytime he put his defroster on the radio would go to complete static. Since the glass was replaced that fixed that problem but after the sub install it causes static everyonce and awhile and never alot just enough to be annoying. I may move the ground from the side of the radio to another location and see what that does if I don't get any other ideas. Thanks for the response.

You could try running the ground wire back to the bolts that secure the center console. Shouldn't be very intrusive and wouldn't add much time to removing the stereo since you'll have the center console out anyway.

More likely that when pulling the stereo, the antenna wire got chafed, so the insulation over the shielding is grounding out on the frame around the stereo. When the sub is powered, you are getting a good amount of noise introduced through the ground points in the interior of the cabin.

You can try pulling the stereo, disconnecting the small gray plug that runs to the left through the stereo area. Follow the small wire back and feel the insulation as you go for frays.

Archived