LegacyGT.com

Say hello to 2012 OTS maps!!!

wsacLGT

So took a road trip down to Cobb Surgeline in Portland, OR this last weekend to let them use my car for 2012 map development. In exchange they hooked it up with a free AP and custom tune (big, big thanks to Cobb Surgeline!) Stage1 maps should be on the market very shortly, with stage2 right behind em. Im very happy with the custom tune numbers, the car is now wide awake! Holly torque!:lol:

Stock- 253tq/259hp

Custom- 316tq/264hp

(16psi)

IMG_20120402_165059.thumb.jpg.98822baa704a46da34e117ff40992da6.jpg

IMG_20120402_164229.thumb.jpg.4ae61bb616cf3f71c3ca013d4f11b117.jpg

IMG_20120402_164321.thumb.jpg.799cf0dad95c575cd184ca2cd1992798.jpg

IMG_20120402_103048.thumb.jpg.2911d32a64c4893b229ae2b55a5b5a03.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice.

How are you liking 1st and 2nd gears now? :)

Loving it! What a difference. A couple sti's rolled up on me n wasn't the least bit worried about racing them haha. Also def have to baby it more around town. Second gear gets u over the speed limit real quick

Ok, now for some serious questions :cool:

• Did Cobb give you any indication for how long before they release OTS maps now that they've done their testing using your car? You mention that it should be "very shortly" but do you think that this is in terms of weeks or months?

• Cobb's website advertises that 2010/2011 LGTs running Stage 1 yields an improvement of 14%HP / 30%TQ. If your car measured 259 HP / 253 TQ at stock, then that would result in an improvement to about 295 HP / 328 TQ. The numbers they achieved were 264 HP / 316 TQ. So the TQ improvement is pretty close to what they estimate, but HP is negligibly higher to the point of writing off that part of the improvement. I understand that elevation, etc come into play with a car's performance, but did they give you any other explanation or commentary on why they didn't quite hit the advertised HP improvement, such as something changing with the 2012 models that is limiting them?

• I am guessing that Cobb will dial back the maps a little so that they are conservative enough to be applied to a range of vehicles in different geographic locations/elevations. Did they share any information with you on this?

• I understand that other vendors tune and generate maps with nothing more than customer-provided datalogs. Is this the general concept that Cobb will apply for making adjustments prior to releasing OTS maps - that they data-logged your car and will reference those logs when generating the OTS maps that we are anticipating?

Thanks for any answers you can provide - I understand that they're all going to be based on information you're aloud to share and/or your opinion, not Cobb's.

Ok, now for some serious questions :cool:

• Did Cobb give you any indication for how long before they release OTS maps now that they've done their testing using your car? You mention that it should be "very shortly" but do you think that this is in terms of weeks or months?

• Cobb's website advertises that 2010/2011 LGTs running Stage 1 yields an improvement of 14%HP / 30%TQ. If your car measured 259 HP / 253 TQ at stock, then that would result in an improvement to about 295 HP / 328 TQ. The numbers they achieved were 264 HP / 316 TQ. So the TQ improvement is pretty close to what they estimate, but HP is negligibly higher to the point of writing off that part of the improvement. I understand that elevation, etc come into play with a car's performance, but did they give you any other explanation or commentary on why they didn't quite hit the advertised HP improvement, such as something changing with the 2012 models that is limiting them?

• I am guessing that Cobb will dial back the maps a little so that they are conservative enough to be applied to a range of vehicles in different geographic locations/elevations. Did they share any information with you on this?

• I understand that other vendors tune and generate maps with nothing more than customer-provided datalogs. Is this the general concept that Cobb will apply for making adjustments prior to releasing OTS maps - that they data-logged your car and will reference those logs when generating the OTS maps that we are anticipating?

Thanks for any answers you can provide - I understand that they're all going to be based on information you're aloud to share and/or your opinion, not Cobb's.

Hey, yeah I can answer your questions to the best of my ability. If there's something I missed you can always contact lance or jeff down at Cobb Surgeline.

So as far as when they will be releasing the ots maps to the public, they said they would be making an announcement within about a weeks time. Now they still have to do the r&d for the stage2 maps, so depending on if they have enough combined info from my car and previous lgt's, they may just release all at once.

I know that generally Cobb's normal ots maps will see those type of gains in hp/tq, but is quite a bit different in a custom tune which they did for me. They def tone down the ots maps a little bit to take in consideration of were you live, type of gas, ect.

They definitely do take into consideration every little detail about the 2012 lgt, which is why they needed one before they release the maps. So yes everything they learned from my car will be same for the 2012 ots maps. (Don't think it was much different from 2011) Bottom line is you will see better gains with a custom tune any day, as it is specific to your car. Either way the the AP is a great device, and any local tuner can always create a custom tune for you and safe it on the accessport. Like Cobb did for me

Hope this helped, this is my first subie so I'm no expert but I def catch on fast and like to stay well informed. Def my new hoppie/passion since I got it. I'm hooked! Haha

Thrilled you got there! Got a quick question... your #s... stock and stage 1 - are those at the wheels???? or crank? Our cars are "listed" at 265hp.... are they stronger than advertised? If thats at the wheels then I'm gonna SPANK my brother's 08 Altima 3.5 Coupe!

Thrilled you got there! Got a quick question... your #s... stock and stage 1 - are those at the wheels???? or crank? Our cars are "listed" at 265hp.... are they stronger than advertised? If thats at the wheels then I'm gonna SPANK my brother's 08 Altima 3.5 Coupe!

Those are wheel numbers. Dynos for these cars are all over the place. It's the delta's that matter.

Most stage 1 cars are running in the 13.4-5 second range, so that should be a good comparison to your brothers altima.

Awesome wsacLGT, love those numbers (even the stock #'s)!!!

Just curious, did you break in your car gradually as per the owners manual, or did you "drive it like you stole it"?? I know the break-in method is a very contentious issue....

High numbers like these have been debated many times. There's probably a correction factor or something. You would need somewhere over 300 hp at the crank to produce these numbers at the wheels. I doubt Subaru underrated these cars by that much especially when some show a more realistic 210-220. Who knows....

Awesome wsacLGT, love those numbers (even the stock #'s)!!!

Just curious, did you break in your car gradually as per the owners manual, or did you "drive it like you stole it"?? I know the break-in method is a very contentious issue....

Definitely went by the book on that one. It was tough but made it to the 1k mark before I started doing wot

How you liking it so far? ..stoppin at stg 1+ or do you think you'll need to step it up a little??

I like it a lot, but modifications are addictive so I'm sure I won't stop there. Down the road prob go with an AVO Turbo back then re-tune. Only problem with doin that is ill likely have to upgrade the clutch/flywheel as the stock one can't handle all that torque. So with that being said it may be awhile...$$$

If you didn't catch my thread from week, COBB responded to me in an email saying the 2012 maps may take up to a month to release and will not be including stage2.

Along with the Stage1 OTS maps, “It will include the normal assortment of Non-Performance Maps - Valet, Antitheft, Economy and Stage0. We will not be including Stage2 maps because we do not make or sell a companion downpipe for the vehicle. We've found that it is very difficult to provide mapping for third-party hardware that consistently performs to our customer's expectations. With our hardware we have much more influence and insight into the map/hardware development and maintenance processes.”

Archived