LegacyGT.com

I HAD AN ACCIDENT!! goshh

So i was going to church today for praise band practice, and the parking lot was empty. As you can see in the picture the black boxes are the different stages as i hit the curb, the blue is a big pond of water, and the rest are curbs and a median.

Stage 1--came around the curb at about 25 mph, didnt see the huge thing of water and if it wasn't there this wouldnt have happened. I come around this way all the time, and never have problems.

Stage 2--Hit the water, turned the wheel and realize it was hydroplaning so I hit the brakes. The brakes did absolutely nothing as slowing me down at all.

Stage 3--I hit the curb pretty hard, jumped up on the curb for a split second then came off. Then pulled over to see what happened.

When I pull out I see the wheel is rashed only in one spot, which I though it would look worse. The problem is the top of the wheel is bent in somehow. If you stick your fingers behind the wheel to feel for the shocks you cant stick any fingers in between all though there is a tinnny gap so it isn't rubbing. The alignment is out because the steering wheel is tilted to the left in order to go straight. The car doesn't pull at all so thats good, and it drives normally, except the wheel wobles a little since the top is bent inward. Tell me what you think could be the damages before I take it to the dealer tommorow. Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would guess you have at least a bent control arm, bent rim. So at minimum you would need a new control arm and rim and the parts and labour that go along with that. You would also need an alignment for sure. Hope that helps.

cool pics, bad news

take it to alignment shop and have check the specs, it's poss you knocked the toe/caster/camber out instead of actually bending anything----kinda low speed

now if u were going a hundred lets say----then you're fubar-ed, or close to it anyway.....

post pics when able

Why do you keep it consistent if you have a manual? Just wondering..

because when you regain traction it will go at the same speed as before entering the puddle. in an auto the tranny speed will increase when there is no load on the the torque converter. with no load on the TC you could get to 100mph in 4th at 1000rpm (just an exapmle)

Guest Gitster

First of all, the wheel is round and spins, so there is no top. If its bent, its bent. Take it to the dealer, let them diagnose.

By the way you drive, please take it easy, I honestly dont think you know how to handle AWD ...... yet. I might sound cynical, but it takes a long time to actually learn it, and learn it well. You shouldnt let off the gas, and never never never hit the brakes like that.

Sorry it happened, but it happens to everybody, and you gotta learn how to handle it.

Guest Gitster

Haha, sorry I thought you were the guy that couldnt find the port to plug in the AP, hahaha i wouldnt be surprised if that guy gets into an accident.

Still tkae it easy, hydro planing at 25.

and i was probally going more like 30-35 i wasn't really looking at that, cuz i was deffonitly hydroplaining and yeah i'm still learning AWD, and didn't know you should not apply brakes in that case....i just want to know what ya'll think would be the damages??

and i was probally going more like 30-35 i wasn't really looking at that, cuz i was deffonitly hydroplaining and yeah i'm still learning AWD, and didn't know you should not apply brakes in that case....i just want to know what ya'll think would be the damages??

Question i'm interested in is are you riding on stock tires as know as RE92 ?

Stage 1--came around the curb at about 25 mph, didnt see the huge thing of water and if it wasn't there this wouldnt have happened. I come around this way all the time, and never have problems.

Stage 2--Hit the water, turned the wheel and realize it was hydroplaning so I hit the brakes. The brakes did absolutely nothing as slowing me down at all.

Stage 3--I hit the curb pretty hard, jumped up on the curb for a split second then came off. Then pulled over to see what happened.

Thanks for helping me out. I never saw Fast and Furious and didn't know what Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 mean.

(I think pulling over to see what happend may be Stage 4.)

For the record, in general for AWD cars, gently apply throttle when you get into trouble and let the car save you. It works a lot better than you might think. Note that there is a point at which even AWD cannot pull you out of the mess you've gotten into.

Archived