LegacyGT.com

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R or Blizzak WS-70?

jay-d

In the years that I've owned my car, I've always opted to get better winter performing tires.

Firestone WinterForce --> Kumho KW17 --> Conti ExtremeWinterContact

For my wagon, I want to get the best for around $1000 budget!

I can get the WS-70 for $850 and I can get the Nokian's for $1050. Only $200 more!

If anyone can chime in for which ones I should opt for.. that would be great! How long the Nokian's last compared to the Blizzaks and such!

:spin:

I've had Nokian RSi snows for 6 seasons (maybe 30,000 miles) and they'll be good for a couple more. Amazing grip on ice and snow. I can't compare them to Bridgestones, but Nokian is a top seller in Canada and Russia so they must know something about cold weather tires.

.........I can get the WS-70 for $850 and I can get the Nokian's for $1050. Only $200 more!

If anyone can chime in for which ones I should opt for.. that would be great! ........

:spin:

It depends. What are you winter driving conditions like? Ice? Snow? Slush? Mostly dry? Mostly wet?

Nokian is a Finnish brand-- in Finland, in order to get your license, you have to learn how to perform emergency maneuvers on snowy roads since lots of roads there do not get plowed. Finnish drivers know a thing or two about car control. (Ever heard the saying "If you want to win, hire a Finn." ?) That being said, if you can afford the Nokians, get them.

Wow, thanks for the responses guys!

I've never had Bridgestone, and I've always known Nokian to be top of the line. One of the things that are making me lean towards the Nokian is the low rolling resistance which should in theory save gas mileage.

I'm in Toronto, Ontario so we get every type of snow you can imagine. Deep, slush, hard packed, black ice, you name it! I also drive up north to go snowboarding and that's usually deeper or hard packed snow, sometimes ice.

I've been reading a lot of reviews on 1010tires and Tire Rack and the Michelin's Xi2 just isn't cutting it for me if I'm going to be paying that price.

I appreciate all the other suggestions, but from my original list, I narrowed it down to those two as they had the best reviews from multiple sources!

Nokian Hakka R's

Toyo Garit XK

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Bridgestone Blizzak LM60

Conti ExtremeWinterContact

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT

General Altimax

Michelin's Xi2

Looks like I'll be getting the Nokian's! I wasn't too happy with the Conti ExtremeWinterContact on my '99 Legacy. They were too soft for my liking, so the performance aspect wasn't what I was used too compared to my previous Kumho's on there (those were awesome!) Great tire, but I felt a little squirrely in some types of snow.

• I Donated Too
My WS70's performed AWESOME but their wear sucked really bad. You'd be lucky to get two seasons out of the unless you drive on snow all the time. I've heard nothing but good things about the general arcticMax's, considering their price

..................Looks like I'll be getting the Nokian's! .............

Nokian R is always a great choice for snow and slush, as long as you don't mind paying the "Nokian tax".

Here is a recent 2012 test of the HakkaR vs Xi2, Conti CVC5, Dunlop DS3, Toyo Garit G4. Use Google Translate.

http://www.autoreview.ru/_archive/section/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=125452&SECTION_ID=7083

Nokian R is always a great choice for snow and slush, as long as you don't mind paying the "Nokian tax".

Here is a recent 2012 test of the HakkaR vs Xi2, Conti CVC5, Dunlop DS3, Toyo Garit G4. Use Google Translate.

http://www.autoreview.ru/_archive/section/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=125452&SECTION_ID=7083

Yeah, this (wet ice) test is why I'm waiting for some decent Xi3 tests and haven't pulled the trigger on Contis yet. Would be really good to see confirmation that they fixed Xi2's lateral grip issues.

And, like I said, I don't see a reason to be buying Nokians any more, now that they aren't THE tire to have in tha category.

Yes, I've also seen remarks about the Xi2's poor lateral grip on ice in several tests over the last 3 years. There were some early reviews (from the Xi3 introduction in January) strongly hinting that the Xi3 is much improved in this area: "On the return road, the Xi3 gave the most confidence when cornering on pure ice, while the Continental ExtremeWinterContact was brutal. The Goodyear and Toyo slotted somewhere in the middle."

http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-x-ice-xi3-winter-tire-reviews/12491.html

And: "Put simply, the Xi3's showed authoritative grip and response in all conditions that I was able to test. Linear acceleration is smoothly confident under controlled power and surprisingly powerful even when dropping the hammer from a standing start on sheer ice. The lateral grip is... extremely impressive. The tires break loose almost reluctantly and recover almost joyfully. They are tactile, responsive, aggressive and a genuine blast to drive."

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3_2.htm

• 3 weeks later...

CR did this in Nov 2012.

Go to your local library.

Nokian Hakkapeliiitta R got 58 pts total in their test when Xi2 and 3 got 62.

Both Michelins got Excellent on ice and snow, poor in dry and wet braking. Xi2 is better in dry/wet handling (good vs fair) but Xi3 has lower rolling resistance (excellent vs very good).

Hakka R got excellent snow and good ice, fair dry and poor wet braking.

Krzys

As shown in the above chart, CR rates the Xi3 stronger than the WS70 in ice braking from 10mph. But Tire Rack had the opposite results, when braking on ice from 12mph, and rates the WS70 stronger than the new Xi3. Test World (Finland) tests, as published by NAF etc, also showed the WS70 to be superior to the Xi3 when braking on ice from 31 mph.

Interestingly, in last years Test World tests, the older Xi2 blew away the WS70 in the ice braking test. Has the new Xi3 given up some ice braking performance in exchange for a higher speed rating of "H" and its reduced rolling resistance? Or has Bridgestone put some more R&D into the WS70?

In terms of acceleration on ice, both NAF and TR show the Xi3 to be quicker than the WS70.

http://www.naf.no/Alle-saker/NAF-eksperten/Forbrukertester/Dekktest/Vinterdekktest-2012/Vinterdekktest-2012/

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=167

I believe this will be my 4th winter use of Xi2. They do wear most excellent...unfortunately, I don't have the actual miles driven on these tires but my wagon is rarely resting. 05 with 145,000 miles on it.

I've had great use of this tire in rain, slush, compact snow, fresh snow... Only can recall two occasions where we've had trouble with snow/ice.

First one, was when I encounter ice on a small sideroad leading to buddies driveway that was smoother then any zamboni could have produced. I missed the driveway when I touched the brakes going maybe ten miles an hour and slide for 50-60 feet. Thankfully, the soft berms stopped before hitting a tree. Standing on the ice was more dangerous...studs may have helped but ice skates would have been the best solution.

Second one, was warm snowy dump of a couple feet deep. The low stance of our legacys can only plowso much snow. My 4Runner was handy in pulling out the wagon then.

Mostly, wanted to say any of these tires are going to great but I know that the Michelin tires I've used seem to have lasted a fair long time.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived