LegacyGT.com

Your opinion is needed

Dridge

Ok, so with taxes coming in and my MY97 LGT MT, broke down (due to bad front CV axles). I have been considering doing a few things to the Subaru. I was either considering swapping the 2.5 for a 2.2 and turboing that motor. Or Ive seen quite a few EJ20TT motors for sale lately and I was thinking swapping that into my car. So far Ive liked what Ive saw from the EJ20TT. I am also going to be swapping the dash and such over to a RHD setup. Would the twin turbo motor work better with my soon to be RHD swap? Are there any issues with swapping the TT motor into my car? Im in the prosess of buying a stand alone set up for my car to go with the new motor. Ive also got an SAFC to throw into the mix. :) I was just wondering what kinda problems I would have with swapping the TT motor into the car, would it bolt up to my transmission without any problems or will I need to find the MT that goes with the car. If I need the tranny as well will I need to get the rear end gears from it to? Or can I use the same gearing? Your help and opinions will help me out a lot. This car is also going to be the showcase car for a shop that my friends and I are opening.

twin turbo motor wont fit unless you make it RHD because of cleance issues of a turbo and steering colum. Also, may people who have TT subaru motors have changed to one turbo setups... just do a wrx motor and tranny swap..

^+1 :icon_bigg

Well I had already bought a front clip of a RHD mail wagon so the RHD swap was going to be done anyway. After a little bit of research I found that it would work if I did that. Anyway, Ive got plans on buying the Megasquirt stand alone and other things, but will the TT motor be a good performer if I build it?

twin turbo motor wont fit unless you make it RHD because of cleance issues of a turbo and steering colum. Also, may people who have TT subaru motors have changed to one turbo setups... just do a wrx motor and tranny swap..

Will probably need rear end too.

Since you got the front clip then you should go ahead and do convertion to RHD but it's a lot of work just to let you know. And if you do convert it to RHD might as well as go with twin turbo motor that come with the clip if it did. I believe it should bolt on to the tranny, but if you are replacing the tranny you almost have to replace the differential in rear and the drive shaft unless the gear ratio is the same in the front and the rear. If I were you I would be doing STI swapt those are really rare for the legacy and you get a very good parformance with the USDM STI motor or WRX motor which you can build up and be faster and stronger then stock STI. This swap depends on your budged, and how much time you want to spend on this swap. Good Luck and keep us updated.

The front clip I bought was a 2.2ltr RHD mail wagon. Im going to build the 2.2 for turbo and set that motor aside for when I get another good condition RHD wagon, but as for my Sedan I know its going to be a lot of work swapping it over. I feel like if I want my car to be different then all the other tuners here in Indiana, Ive got to do something very out of the ordinary. I want to do the swap to JDM Headlights, Taillights, and Foglights ect. but was there a twin turbo sedan model I can get my styling cues from? or was the Twin turbo motor only available in the GTB wagons?

The twin turbos you can buy from JHOT from ebay he sels them at fair price around 1k for the tranny, engine, all the wires and sometime rear differential and driveshaft. The twin turnos did came in wagons and sedans. The headlight, fog, tailights should be pretty easy to install. Good luck on your project, keep us posted should be interesting project.

Why bother converting to RHD with a TT when you can just switch the TT to a regular single turbo? IIRC, a lot of tuners in australia and japan ditched the TT setup all together (similar to the tt's in RX-7's) because of the "valley of death" syndrome the TT cars had at 3k- where the single turbo would run out of breath, but the second turbo was still spooling.

Yeah, what rougeben83 just said.

a JDM TT EJ22 will likely to a strong engine to work with, but it certainly isnt worth the hassles of converting your Legacy to RHD. Just take the tt motor and go with a basic USDM WRX turbo cross member, and single turbo TMIC setup. Simple and powerful.

The reason behind the RHD swap is mainly to be a little different. That was something Ive been planning since I bought the car. I will probably swap the motor into the car as a Twin turbo see how I like it, and go from there. So what all will I need to get to swap it from Twin to a single turbo if I dont like the setup?

The reason behind the RHD swap is mainly to be a little different. That was something Ive been planning since I bought the car. I will probably swap the motor into the car as a Twin turbo see how I like it, and go from there. So what all will I need to get to swap it from Twin to a single turbo if I dont like the setup?

Yes, what you'll basically be doing is putting the parts from a WRX turbo setup (exhaust manifold, turbo, TMIC...not sure about the intake manifold) in place of the TT setup.

You'll probably have to switch back to LHD though...not sure how the exhaust piping will line up with the steering column where the turbo's going to be.

You'll need to either get the WRX ECU or retune whatever EM you'll be using with your JDM TT setup.

Oh yeah, don't switch to RHD headlights when you do your swap. You'll just blind oncoming traffic.

Archived